corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Got a very bad coolant leak from back of engine – any ideas??

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Got a very bad coolant leak from back of engine – any ideas??
Billy Dean

User status: Offline
25th Nov 11 at 17:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

LATEST UPDATE:

My mechanic confirmed that it was the water pump that had gone. So he replaced that, and the cambelt and tensioners for good measure.
He then ‘pressure tested’ it all and noticed that a hose was loose. So he tightened that up. Refilled the system and we’re good to go.
3 hours labour is the charge. Plus £91 for the parts.

My colleague at work said that the busted water pump may have actually been down to me renewing the coolant the other day and not getting rid of any air locks properly. I told him that after renewing the coolant I did run the engine for a good few minutes with the expansion cap off. I switched the engine off when I noticed that the coolant in the expansion tank was starting to froth/Bubble up!
I couldn’t open the bleed screw on the stat so I left that.
He reckons any airlocks combined with the increased pressure of new coolant may have overstressed the water pump.
This didn’t exactly make me feel good!

Does he have a point?
Chris x

25th Nov 11 at 17:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sounds like hes fixed a leaking hose but charged you for a new cambelt/waterpump e.t.c. IMO.
johnhara1

25th Nov 11 at 17:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Get the cover off and you should see brand new tensioners, new belt and a shiney new waterpump.

If not, he's ripped you off.
Billy Dean

25th Nov 11 at 19:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nah, he wouldn't have ripped me off. He's a family friend and we've used him for donkeys years. He's practically our brother. He has to charge us business rates though as he has to eat too.

The old parts are in the boot.
And there was no leaking hose when I checked it over so the water pump being bust seems plausible.

Anyone have any thoughts on what my colleague said in my previous post?
corsadonk
Premium Member

25th Nov 11 at 20:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The water system in vauxhalls don't really need bleeding, just pour the water in steady, while it's running. So no it shouldn't really.

I'm sure he has changed the belts and pump, but I also reckon it was just a hose leaking.
Chris x

25th Nov 11 at 23:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by corsadonk
I'm sure he has changed the belts and pump, but I also reckon it was just a hose leaking.
I would go with that!
Billy Dean

26th Nov 11 at 12:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Corsadonk - Thanks for the reassurance about the renewal of coolant not really contributing to the water pump failure.
I need to know this in case I ever renew the coolant again. I don't wanna be busting another water pump due to not opening the bleed screw or whatever lol
Maybe my colleague is just over-cautious!

Everyone else - lol u guys are really not trusting of my mechanic are u?
There definitely wasn't any other hose leak as I checked it along with the breakdown guy.
My mechanic "pressure tested" the system before he renewed the coolant with his kit that uses air and water to check the system for leaks etc.
He said the pressure test popped the engine hose off near the stat. The clip wasn't on tight enough.
After the test they then renewed the coolant.
And the leak was from the back of the engine and not the front where the hose popped off.

[Edited on 26-11-2011 by Billy Dean]

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll