corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » loosing coolant

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author loosing coolant
gidged500
Premium Member

User status: Offline
10th Nov 10 at 00:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my header tank is really low and i topped it up a few weeks ago and i cant seem to find any holes anywhere or drips :s so wheres it going ??
Mike
Organiser: North West and North Wales
Premium Member

10th Nov 10 at 00:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have you checked for leaks with the engine running? Generally leaks aren't obvious with the engine off. When it warms up the system pressurizes and the pressure means the coolant can escape so if you haven't tried that, that's the first thing to try, other than that you can check for signs of leakage inside the car it could be the heater matrix or one of the pipes to it causing problems. The other obvious thing is potentially the headgasket so check for mayo on the underside of the oil cap, have you been having any temperature issues, overheating, heaters blowing cold etc.? White smoke out of the exhaust?
gidged500
Premium Member

10th Nov 10 at 00:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ill have to check that tomorrow and see i did put a new rad hose on so that could be leaking. no not really the heaters just take a while to get hot prob because the weathers got stupidly cold
gidged500
Premium Member

10th Nov 10 at 00:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

should i fill it up start it and turn the heaters on full whack on warm ?
gidged500
Premium Member

10th Nov 10 at 17:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

?
gidged500
Premium Member

10th Nov 10 at 18:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

?
Paulo 16v

10th Nov 10 at 22:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If your loosing coolant and not being able to find the leak my advice is to top it up, have it running hot till the coolant fans cut in. Then turn it off and look in the morning under the car. Hopefully you'll see where the leak has come from when all the pipes and components have cooled (easiest way to be honest, without a coolant pressure tester)

New Poll