corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Newer Corsa Dials in Older Corsa? Speedo doesn't work!

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Newer Corsa Dials in Older Corsa? Speedo doesn't work!
Sir_Mixalot

User status: Offline
10th May 03 at 14:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hey.
Was down at my local breakers last week and was ripping up a nice V reg sport corsa and taking most of the interia to replace all the crappy bits in my old (1995) M Reg LS. While i was down there we also took out the dials from this corsa, as there was a rev counter on it and my LS doesn't have one. The bloke down there said they should go in, and they only wanted a £10 for it with a 7 day come back warrenty so i thought i might as well get it and test it out. Anyway got it home, took my old (no rev counter) dial out, and put the new one in. Fired it up and gave it a bit of gas and the rev meter was working fine. "f-ing ideal" i thought. They I took it for a spin, and suddenly realised the mileage wasn't ticking over, the speedo wasn't working and i have since come to the conclusion that the water temp doesn't work either. The only things that work are the Rev Gauge and the fuel level.

I didn't think the mileage would work because my old corsa had the odomoter controlled directly by a cable, but the newer corsa all came through the electronic connector. But this doesn't bother me as the mileage is over 70k miles out, and when i have to MOT i will just swap back (SLY!).

Anyway just wondered how i can get the speedo and water temp working, if at all, or if they just won't work.

cheers,
-tim
Leven Cruise

10th May 03 at 15:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wont work mate..

yours = mechanical speedo, cable operated
V reg sport = electrical speedo

You need the dialset from an early corsa SRi, that work with the cable.
Sir_Mixalot

10th May 03 at 15:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ideal next time i am down i will rip some more corsas up and get a decent bit.
miles

10th May 03 at 17:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

where in cornwall are you? What breakers?

Im in Callington, between Launceston and Saltash
Sir_Mixalot

11th May 03 at 12:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it was coumbellacks (spelling?) by Roache (near st. austell).

I was thinking and i am sure than the speedo must be electronic because the cable that comes up spins constantly with the spin of the wheels, so if it was connected to the speedo the dial would just spin round and round (which it doesn't!). If it does run off the cable it would require some quite complicated rate measuring mechanics, which would be pointless because everything else runs up through the electronics anyway.
Sir_Mixalot

11th May 03 at 22:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

any help on this? can this dash be made to work? i am sure only the odometer runs off this cable.
CorsAsh

11th May 03 at 23:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Leven cruise is right, your 95 will be cable operated (my old one was), so look for a set of clocks from something like an early 1.4 sri, thats what mine came out of. The needle and odometer are both controlled by the cable, thats why if you rig up a drill or leccy screwdriver to alter the mileage, the needle registers a speed as well as the miles moving round

Btw, a tenner for the clocks is F*ckin cheap - i paid £40 for mine...

[Edited on 11-05-2003 by CorsAsh]
Leven Cruise

12th May 03 at 11:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That is cheap. I payed £25 for mine.

Evil Ash

12th May 03 at 17:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

can't you just take the sender of a newer corsa and replace the cable with that, the same as you do when you use a Astra digi dash.
Xs

12th May 03 at 17:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lol i had the same problem today!!!
cept mine is from a diesel...
mines L reg
clocks came outa V reg lol

im goin back tho to buy the set of clocks from the gsi they had...gonna cost me another 40quid tho lol
vauxtillidie

12th May 03 at 18:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i got my dials from a tigra 1.6 16v, they are identical to the ones used in later sports (with the grey surround) and its cable driven, i payed 40quid for mine tho!
Sir_Mixalot

13th May 03 at 19:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

K next time i am down (probably tommrow afternoon) i will look for one that is cable controlled. Only reason i thought it would work is because all the other dials work (well revs and petrol).

New Poll