corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Towing

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Towing
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Offline
5th Dec 13 at 20:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not a grey area at all, the law is quite clear.

Without +E

Unbraked - 750kg max subject to your car being capable

Braked - train weight of 3.5t - as travelled so everything counts towards it, its the weight on the road at the time its travelling so unless your passengers are walking alongside you carrying your luggage, they need including.

Car must also weigh more than the trailer. So in the case of the 308 and the Corsa C, its Corsa C + the trailer its on that you must consider.

Typical car trailer is 300-400kg so you'll be close with a standard trimmed Corsa C but it might be possible.

Also re putting your car plate on the trailer, fairly sure that is legal. Regs only state the plate must be visible from the front and rear of your vehicle, which when hooked is what you are driving. Nothing in there about displaying a plate half way along it.

I'll stand corrected on that but that's my current understanding.
Jed D

5th Dec 13 at 20:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
Not a grey area at all, the law is quite clear.

Without +E

Unbraked - 750kg max subject to your car being capable

Braked - train weight of 3.5t - as travelled so everything counts towards it, its the weight on the road at the time its travelling so unless your passengers are walking alongside you carrying your luggage, they need including.

Car must also weigh more than the trailer. So in the case of the 308 and the Corsa C, its Corsa C + the trailer its on that you must consider.

Typical car trailer is 300-400kg so you'll be close with a standard trimmed Corsa C but it might be possible.

Also re putting your car plate on the trailer, fairly sure that is legal. Regs only state the plate must be visible from the front and rear of your vehicle, which when hooked is what you are driving. Nothing in there about displaying a plate half way along it.

I'll stand corrected on that but that's my current understanding.

so my vectra b diesel pulling a corsa thats lightweight enough to pick up at the rear with one hand and with a V6 up front and a reasonably lightweight trailer should be ok without the +E then?

also, while your reading, totally off subject but can lostboy be un-banned?
Ian
Site Administrator

5th Dec 13 at 20:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What's the towing weight of the Vectra?

Take the first and second weights off the VIN plate, difference is the weight.

Corsa at 900ish and trailer at 300ish is 1200.

Think you'll be OK but to be sure, VIN plates and a weighbridge.

Also, no.
Jed D

5th Dec 13 at 20:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
What's the towing weight of the Vectra?

Take the first and second weights off the VIN plate, difference is the weight.

Corsa at 900ish and trailer at 300ish is 1200.

Think you'll be OK but to be sure, VIN plates and a weighbridge.

Also, no.

vectra weighs 1372kg or something and can pull 1300kg

weigh bridge will be on the cards when i get a new trailer haha

and ok..
how come john d's allowed back on as taylorboosh... what exactly did lostboy do wrong to touch a nerve? sorry, i did u2u regarding this the other day but no response
Andrew

5th Dec 13 at 20:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't think I can do it with the 308, weight wise. I am however made up I won't have to take another test to tow a small car in the future. Happy to get some practise in with using the 308 and small trailer at the moment.

Thanks for the help guys!
Jed D

5th Dec 13 at 20:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Andrew
I don't think I can do it with the 308, weight wise. I am however made up I won't have to take another test to tow a small car in the future. Happy to get some practise in with using the 308 and small trailer at the moment.

Thanks for the help guys!

at first its a very strange feeling having to reverse to the opposite side then back into it but you'll sharp get used to it.. just go steady

also speed limit is now 60mph on 70 road or something like that
Andrew

5th Dec 13 at 22:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Figures state using the 308 I can actually tow the Corsa with a 400KG trailer. Good news!

Something to start with

I quite like my 308
Andrew

17th Sep 14 at 21:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

9.5 months later...

The time has come to look at car transporter trailers.

Main thing that worries me, the 308 is cracking on a bit now. Think it hit 65k yesterday. Do I need to worry about the clutch going with 1400KGs on the back?

I know it's not the ideal car for towing but i'm in no hurry to change it for 2 main reasons

1: I own it outright and i'd want something better if I were to change it. I don't like the idea of financing a car I mostly use for work

2: It suits my needs. Currently doesn't ask for anything apart from fuel and servicing as well as producing 45MPG on average.

Just for the cunts on here

[Edited on 17-09-2014 by Andrew]
John

17th Sep 14 at 21:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What are you putting in that to make it 1400kg and is it not a Max of 750 you are allowed in that trailer?

Nice to see your mpg has gone up.

quote:
If you are getting 50 MPG out of an old 1.6 Corsa Sport I would be amazed. I struggle to get 40MPG out of a modern 1.6 petrol pug.

Fuel prices have reduced slightly over the past few weeks. I paid 126.7 for petrol at an ASDA in Sale Friday.

Think I spotted you on Friday Ian in a 52 plate blue Freelander going over the bridge by The Trafford Centre.
sc0ott

17th Sep 14 at 21:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Want better mpg, buy a trailer
Andrew

17th Sep 14 at 21:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Changed my driving style John

Edited: I don't get 45MPG when pulling a trailer.

[Edited on 17-09-2014 by Andrew]
Ste
Premium Member

17th Sep 14 at 22:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also a 308 probably won't be allowed to tow 750kg unbraked

I would rather lose by a mile because i built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me.
Ian
Site Administrator

17th Sep 14 at 22:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

VIN plate will tell you the total train.

Figures as follows:

Car MAM
Train MAM
Axle 1
Axle 2

Train MAM - car MAM = towing capacity.

Trailer plated weight must also be under 3500 - car MAM, which is probably less than the capacity.

I'd be thinking more like 1200kg if you get it light enough. My Puma is <900kg and the trailer isn't 500kg.

BTW I've got a full set of panels.
Ian
Site Administrator

17th Sep 14 at 22:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
What are you putting in that to make it 1400kg

Open your damn eyes man, he said he wants a car trailer.
Ian
Site Administrator

17th Sep 14 at 22:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Do I need to worry about the clutch

Will certainly wear it more, but the trailer alone won't cause it to fail. Obviously you need to do what you can to be as sympathetic as possible and it does change your drive style, for example leaving it in gear and keeping it rolling at junctions rather than clutching in and doing a standing start again. I always try to spend as little time as possible on the pedal so in queues etc. I'll be back in to first quite often instead of bring the car to a stop.

This list any good?

http://carleasingmadesimple.com/business-car-leasing/peugeot/308/towing-weight-limit/
Andrew

18th Sep 14 at 22:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks for the advice - time to start chasing bargain prices on eBay.

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
BTW I've got a full set of panels.

Sound!
Ping me the details and i'll bring some cash down the farm over the weekend or one evening next week.

Looks like the max is 1400kg for my 1.6 vti engine.
I'll have a look at the vin to confirm.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Towing 23 database queries in 0.0133939 seconds