corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Scotland

New Poll
  <<  31    32    33    34    35  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Scotland
RichR
Premium Member

User status: Offline
19th Sep 14 at 22:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
quote:
Originally posted by Ben G
Also, I see there appears to be fighting on the streets of Glasgow. What a disgrace.

Can't they just accept that the majority of voters wanted to stay as a union?

Its the scum of the earth union jack wavers fighting.

Twice in this thread you've called the Union flag, the 'Union Jack'. Please learn the difference, it's worse than your pedants about 'Tescos'.
Ben G

19th Sep 14 at 22:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.express.co.uk/comment/expresscomment/436835/It-s-official-We-can-call-our-flag-the-Union-Jack

Know all letter writer
John

19th Sep 14 at 22:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by RichR
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Ben G
Also, I see there appears to be fighting on the streets of Glasgow. What a disgrace.

Can't they just accept that the majority of voters wanted to stay as a union?

Its the scum of the earth union jack wavers fighting.

Twice in this thread you've called the Union flag, the 'Union Jack'. Please learn the difference, it's worse than your pedants about 'Tescos'.

Go and have a google before being wrong please. When all the well known media outlets are also happy to call it that, I'm fine with it.

Go and get me some facts on why I'm wrong please, there's a good flip flopped boy.
John

19th Sep 14 at 22:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just read Ben's link, I didn't even know that you were trying to be a smart are because you are into boats, even more gutted for being wrong.
Steve
Premium Member

19th Sep 14 at 22:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This is what happens when spoilt uni twats don't get what they want. Rioting and smashing shit up.

Remember the student riots over tuition fees. And this is the group of people you want deciding the future for your country.
Hammer

20th Sep 14 at 00:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
This is what happens when spoilt uni twats don't get what they want. Rioting and smashing shit up.

Remember the student riots over tuition fees. And this is the group of people you want deciding the future for your country.

Uni twats

I can't believe you never got an absolute beating when you came up here to fuck Lawrah.
Ben G

20th Sep 14 at 00:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I can't believe he got to fuck Lawrah tbh.
Hammer

20th Sep 14 at 00:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

She was desperate.
Steve
Premium Member

20th Sep 14 at 00:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

pretty much
Eck
Premium Member

20th Sep 14 at 01:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It brings as much sadness as it does little surprise to see the sort of mindless destruction these people bring.
Cavey

20th Sep 14 at 05:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I guess Willie was correct

http://youtu.be/K5lYXaVkA0U
RichR
Premium Member

20th Sep 14 at 08:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Just read Ben's link, I didn't even know that you were trying to be a smart are because you are into boats, even more gutted for being wrong.

I'm not trying to be a smart arse John, simply pointing out that you are incorrect which you do to others on a daily basis. Whether I'm 'into' boats or not is irrelevant, the fact of the matter is that it should only be referred to as a 'Jack' when it is flying from a jackstaff and representing the home country and not the flag state authority to which a vessel is registered. The Express article is twaddle and written to the benefit of the author and has grasped at conjecture to which one paper written by the Flag Institute has also grasped.

Vessels, especially Naval vessels fly flags - when at sea, the Flag State Authority flag is flown showing the country or assosciation of registry, not necessarily the country of origin or ownership and henceforth, they fly their home colours when alongside or moored- the pole from which it is flown is the 'jackstaff'.

The UK MoD states "The Union Flag is to be worn as a Jack... during the hours laid down in Para 9136, by ships in harbour, at anchor, secured to a buoy or alongside, but not when in dock" - the MoD regulations being the origin of the point at which a Union Flag becomes a Union Jack. Any flag flown from any jackstaff is a jack flag - not just the Union Jack. This isn't flown at sea as the article alludes to and in addition look up the various HMS designated land bases (such as the current HMS president in London) if you want evidence negating the point raised in the article that it's flown at sea - simply put, it's not.

I've also read the Flag Institute paper which suggest that a flagstaff didn't exist until the 1800s, again, utter rubbish. The jackstaff didn't give it's name to what it flew, what it flew gave its name to the staff. Originally, a Jack was a small flag flown from the masthead of a ship. The jackstaff was simply the name give to the pennant pole from which any small flag was flown. The 1800's confusion comes because that is when the term was adopted formally for a flag pole mounted to the bow sprit - the flag, being a small masthead flag, was always known as a Jack on a ship, primarily because we began to not have masts as we moved from Sail to Engines during the IR - you couldn't fly the Jack from the masthead if there wasn't one.

There is some conjecture that it could be an abbreviation of Jacobean as James I who originated the British flag was from the Jacobean period but there is no hard or fast evidence to support this, it's only ever thrown about by those attempting to argue that it should always be called the jack.

The full title of the Union Flag is the 'Flag of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland', it is clearly impractical to say that everytime it's mentioned and as such the Union Flag is the only agreed abbreviation prior to the parliamentary discussion of 1902. Just because is often referred to as the Union Jack doesn't make it technically correct.

You're a huge advocate of correcting the wrong or ill informed but you hate it when the tables are turned, resorting to petty name calling instead.

Edit: didn't realise that was so much of a Paul J essay.

[Edited on 20-09-2014 by RichR]
JonnyJ

20th Sep 14 at 08:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

John

20th Sep 14 at 09:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by RichR

As you may be able to imagine, I've had absolutely no interest at all in the Union Jack/Flag, its normally representing something I'm against.

I didn't know any of that history tbh, I do now so thanks. I'll use it to bore someone in future (I really will).

I'm also very happy to be corrected. It still appears that it's fine to call it the Union Jack though.
Hammer

20th Sep 14 at 12:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What the actual fuck

We'll come to a common agreement and call it The Butcher's Apron. Sorted.
John

20th Sep 14 at 12:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

First link on Google.

http://www.flaginstitute.org/wp/british-flags/the-union-jack-or-the-union-flag/

Britains national flag charity, written by Cdr Bruce Nicolls OBE RN (Retd).

I'm going with what he says over you Rich, sorry.
Marc

20th Sep 14 at 13:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Hammer
She was desperate.

Thats why lasses sign up on CS, flash their tits and go to meets and eventually some muppet off here will fuck them.
RichR
Premium Member

20th Sep 14 at 13:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A National Flag CHARITY wtaf?

It evens confirms what I said above, that "this word was in use before 1600 to describe a small flag flown from the small mast mounted on the bowsprit"

The factually incorrect part of that is with regards to the bowsprit; it doesn't matter where it was flown, it relates only to a small flag flown from a pennant which would normally have been atop the masthead. The Flag Institute even confirms what I said about the jack been flown from the masthead.
"1606, it was known simply as ‘the British flag’ or ‘the flag of Britain’, and was ordered to be flown at the main masthead of all ships, warships and merchant ships, of both England and Scotland."

I'll take what's confirmed by the UK Naval/MoD regulations, over and above a retired commander and flag charity. "The Union Flag is to be worn as a Jack... during the hours laid down in Para 9136, by ships in harbour, at anchor, secured to a buoy or alongside, but not when in dock"
Hammer

20th Sep 14 at 14:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fucking at being perplexed there is a National flag charity whilst wasting so much time talking about flag terms when no one gives a shit.
JordyCarter

20th Sep 14 at 15:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im far more interested in steve fucking lawrah? What he put in her drink though?? hahaha
taylorboosh

20th Sep 14 at 16:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Banged her a few times didnt he?
Nic Barnes

20th Sep 14 at 17:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

made hammer jealous hence his hatred for all things steve
Hammer

20th Sep 14 at 17:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If I'd known Laura at that point I probably would have been jealous, alas your timings are slightly out.

I don't hate Steve anyway, I just like to remind him he's autistic now and again in case he had forgotten.
Russ

20th Sep 14 at 18:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Steve
Premium Member

20th Sep 14 at 18:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd say more adhd

<<  31    32    33    34    35  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Scotland 22 database queries in 0.2068160 seconds