corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Pensions

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Pensions
stuartmitchell

User status: Offline
13th Nov 13 at 10:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by James
quote:
Originally posted by stuartmitchell
quote:
Originally posted by Paul_J
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=GEAGdwHXfLQ&t=30m22s

Worth watching about 2 mins of this from 30m 22s ...

Pension funds will be so raped by the time you get to pension age it's not worth wasting time on it

Thats my concern but what's the alternative?

SIPP.

Or at least some kind of pension that gives you a say over what it gets invested in.

Sorry James, I'm a bit of a financial twat. Whats a SIPP?

I pick where my money gets invested just now, I picked 3 seperate funds from Standards Life portfolio.

Cheers
James

13th Nov 13 at 11:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=GEAGdwHXfLQ&t=30m22s

Worth watching about 2 mins of this from 30m 22s ...

Pension funds will be so raped by the time you get to pension age it's not worth wasting time on it

Thats my concern but what's the alternative?

SIPP.

Or at least some kind of pension that gives you a say over what it gets invested in.

Sorry James, I'm a bit of a financial twat. Whats a SIPP?

I pick where my money gets invested just now, I picked 3 seperate funds from Standards Life portfolio.

Cheers

Self Invested Personal Pension.

You have full control over what your money is invested in, and any profits are tax free providing the type of asset is included in the list in section one below:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-invested_personal_pension

But it sounds like you already have enough control to try and make sure that the value of your pension investments doesn't end up being rubbish.
stuartmitchell

13th Nov 13 at 13:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cool! Thanks for that mate!
Paul_J

13th Nov 13 at 13:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
But the problem isn't with pensions, it's with the funds the money is invested in.

A pension is just a tax free wrapper for assets. You'd be stupid not to use one. Most private pensions that you would get through an employer are just invested in funds, that's where they start to lose money.

The first part of this article explains it pretty well:

http://blog.moneysavingexpert.com/2006/05/08/the-one-word-that-caused-the-pension-crisis/

Yeah that's what I mean James.
The problem is with the fund managers of large pension funds, which your every day joe's pension will be invested in.

The american 401k seems closer to a S.I.P.P than your every day UK employer pension which will just get a 3rd party company to provide the service which in turn will be raped by the finance industry.
tom130691
Premium Member

14th Nov 13 at 08:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i have about a fiver in johnlewis scheme from previous part time work with them,

currently contracting at jaguar, not even thought about pensions, want to save to get a house first,

unless the opportunity to go permanent comes up then ill probably pay in the max
Robbo

14th Nov 13 at 10:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im interested to know how people who arent paying into pensions and/or are saving for a house think they are goign to pay the bills for said hosue when they get older
Marc

14th Nov 13 at 10:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I keep saying this to my mates who don't have pensions. They don't seem too fussed!
Robbo

14th Nov 13 at 10:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

pensions are possibly the single most important bill you can pay every month (fully valid excpetion, rental property owners)
Paul_J

15th Nov 13 at 12:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Program on Monday 8pm channel 4 all about pensions.

I have no problem with people putting money in pensions, in fact if you can afford it - for tax reasons alone it's worth doing. But I feel there's sometimes a lot of people who are persuaded to put money into a pension which firstly they can't afford and secondly believe will provide for them when they're older.

There's no harm putting the money in if you can afford it, but don't delude yourself into thinking it's going to be worth anything by retirement age.
Baskey

15th Nov 13 at 14:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I work for a bank an have an ok pension (compared to most) however I'm not confident it will give me a decent life when I'm older.

I want to cash it in to get a deposit for a house which i can rent out and pay off in 15 odd years.

My thinking is I trust bricks and mortar than some fund manager. Anyhow it's only an idea, doubt I will get round to it !
AndyKent

15th Nov 13 at 17:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can't cash in a pension. It is locked away until 65 pretty much.
Baskey

15th Nov 13 at 18:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hmm well that bit of the idea is a fail then.

I still want to buy another house to rent out though and devert my monthly pension payments into that

AndyKent

15th Nov 13 at 18:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can always stop contributing, but you can't pull out what you have put in.

Should really have been explained when you joined!
Paul_J

15th Nov 13 at 20:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Baskey

I still want to buy another house to rent out though and devert my monthly pension payments into that

Exactly... if you've got the opportunity work on giving yourself some income by investing it now (investing into property / renting it out is a good shout, especially since asset prices should rise over time with inflation... probably unlike your money in your pension )
fred7

16th Nov 13 at 14:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ive just signed up for my works pension i put 3% work put 5% into a legal and general pension wasnt that sure but because its taken before tax hardly makes a difference. Not sure its something i would do if my company wasnt putting that much in
Marc

18th Nov 13 at 08:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Programme on 4 about pensions tonight.
Robbo

21st Nov 13 at 15:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Baskey

Exactly... if you've got the opportunity work on giving yourself some income by investing it now (investing into property / renting it out is a good shout, especially since asset prices should rise over time with inflation... probably unlike your money in your pension )
do you understand how pensions work Paul? you arent half posting some shit in here

a well-managed pension fund will return significantly more than bricks and mortar for significantly less input. As with all thigns, a mix of assets (shares, property and pensions) is the way forward but your supposition that pensions will be worth nothing in future is ridiculous.
Robbo

21st Nov 13 at 15:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Program on Monday 8pm channel 4 all about pensions.

I have no problem with people putting money in pensions, in fact if you can afford it - for tax reasons alone it's worth doing. But I feel there's sometimes a lot of people who are persuaded to put money into a pension which firstly they can't afford and secondly believe will provide for them when they're older.

There's no harm putting the money in if you can afford it, but don't delude yourself into thinking it's going to be worth anything by retirement age.
stuartmitchell

21st Nov 13 at 16:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I like the idea of property but the reality of having to maintain a 2nd property and deal with the tennants etc would be a pain in the ass and I dont think I have the time or patience for it.

I spoke with standard life and am going to balance savings across:

- Stakeholder Pension Plan
- SIPP
- Investment Funds product

Hopefully a nice balance of risk with that but who knows

taylorboosh

21st Nov 13 at 19:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have a bt work pension... Think i pay 7.5% and they double it or something, been paying 3 years and im 25. Comes off before im taxed anyways so meh
Robbo

22nd Nov 13 at 12:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

u fool, why bother with that. dont you know it will be worthless by the time you retire??
pow
Premium Member

22nd Nov 13 at 12:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Piss off it will be
taylorboosh

22nd Nov 13 at 20:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Doubt it... Will be reet
nibnob21
Premium Member

23rd Nov 13 at 09:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I pay 4%, employee puts in 5%. Employer contribution increases as you get older, it's not related to how long you've been with the company. I've got it in a mid-high risk plan at the moment.

We also have a shares scheme where we can buy company shares at a discount rate once every two years. If the share price drops they will pay back what we bought them for so can't lose out (other than a small bit of interest).

When I can afford to I'll contribute a little more to my pension, and start saving more money somewhere else, probs just an ISA or something.

MX5 Project Thread
belton

23rd Nov 13 at 16:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I like the idea of property but the reality of having to maintain a 2nd property and deal with the tennants etc would be a pain in the ass and I dont think I have the time or patience for it.

I spoke with standard life and am going to balance savings across:

- Stakeholder Pension Plan
- SIPP
- Investment Funds product

Hopefully a nice balance of risk with that but who knows

There is no risk in having three products here its about where the money is invested. Cant you see standard life are mugging you off because you are now just gunna be charged three separate management fees, for three separate products which would probably end up in the same fund anyway. I cant see the point in you having a SIPP.

Also i am surprised no one has mentioned anything about annuities? The quality of your annuity has a massive part to play here.

Everyone on this website will be auto-enrolled into a workplace pension scheme by 2018, and i think anyone who does not stay in the scheme is mad because you may be receiving slightly less cash in your pocket a month, but with employer contributions as well as your own, your are effectively receiving a pay rise.
I am fortunate enough to work for a pension fund so have a banging pension, and have good knowledge of how it/industry works.

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll