corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » 6.0 software update just bricked my Apple TV

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author 6.0 software update just bricked my Apple TV
evilrob
Premium Member

User status: Offline
21st Sep 13 at 22:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just get a constantly flashing light now. I've had this before with previous software updates, but this time it isn't even recognised by iTunes when connected via USB. Normally you can do a system restore via USB.

Looks like a trip to the Apple Store tomorrow, then.

Not great timing, Apple, seeing as I was thinking about binning you off anyway.

Rob_Quads

22nd Sep 13 at 08:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just wait till you switch away from Apple and something goes wrong.... you won't be wandering down to the local store to get it replaced there and then in most cases

No-one has perfect hardware, its how you handle it when it does go wrong thats important.

[Edited on 22-09-2013 by Rob_Quads]
evilrob
Premium Member

22nd Sep 13 at 08:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Quads
Just wait till you switch away from Apple and something goes wrong.... you won't be wandering down to the local store to get it replaced there and then in most cases

No-one has perfect hardware, its how you handle it when it does go wrong thats important.

a) I have a Currys PC World Superstore 5 minutes up the road; I buy my non-fruity electronics there and they've been brilliant if I've ever had any issues.
b) The hardware is fine - this was a software update.
Simon_16v

22nd Sep 13 at 08:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have you not got a usb cable to connect it to your pc?
evilrob
Premium Member

22nd Sep 13 at 09:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I do have a micro-USB cable because, as explained in the first post, I've had to restore it before. The trouble is that this time it's not even being recognised by iTunes when connected with a USB cable to the computer.
John

22nd Sep 13 at 09:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Google send you out a new one (brand new sealed retail box for my nexus 4) and a bag for you to send the faulty one back within 21 days.
fred7

22nd Sep 13 at 10:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have u got the latest version of itunes?
fred7

22nd Sep 13 at 10:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Make sure in settings "look for apple tv" is selected aswell
Dont know if that will help
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5338949?tstart=0

[Edited on 22-09-2013 by fred7]
Steve
Premium Member

22nd Sep 13 at 11:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Correct. As John points out you don't even need to wander down to the local store
evilrob
Premium Member

22nd Sep 13 at 11:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by fred7
Have u got the latest version of itunes?

I do - but I'm running Mavericks developer preview, which I wasn't last time I had to restore my Apple TV, so that may or may not have something to do with it.
evilrob
Premium Member

22nd Sep 13 at 11:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Make sure in settings "look for apple tv" is selected aswell
Dont know if that will help
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5338949?tstart=0

Cheers for the heads up.
evilrob
Premium Member

22nd Sep 13 at 14:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just a quick update in case anyone else has this issue - I used a different micro-USB cable and managed to restore the Apple TV successfully but after disconnecting it from the computer then turning it off, attaching the HDMI cable and turning it back on again as per the instructions, it still won't boot up and I get the rapidly-flashing light.

I tried it again with a third micro-USB cable. Still no joy.

I initially used the charging cable from a Zaggmate bluetooth keyboard; when using this cable the Apple TV was not recognised (perhaps only certain pins are connected on this particular cable).

The other two micro-USB cables I tried were from a BlackBerry Playbook and a Kindle. Using these cables results in the Apple TV being recognised and being able to restore the software, but doesn't actually fix the issue in my case. I can only assume something went *really* wrong during the initial update which bricked it in the first place, or there's some issue with the latest software update and certain Apple TVs (for reference, mine's a 3rd gen).

[Edited on 22-09-2013 by evilrob]
fred7

22nd Sep 13 at 14:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I bricked my bro in laws s3 cuz used the wrong usb cable. It wouldnt find it on or charge up. May of done the same
evilrob
Premium Member

22nd Sep 13 at 15:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I bricked my bro in laws s3 cuz used the wrong usb cable. It wouldnt find it on or charge up. May of done the same

I don't think this is the case as it operates exactly as expected with the two other USB cables I tried *after* the first one that didn't work at all.

Cable 1 - wouldn't recognise at all
Cable 2 and 3 - iTunes twigs that there is an Apple TV connected, the software is deployed and verified perfectly as far as iTunes is concerned.

It just won't boot after having been re-flashed.

fred7

22nd Sep 13 at 17:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have you tried cable 1 after reboot?
evilrob
Premium Member

22nd Sep 13 at 17:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Have you tried cable 1 after reboot?

Why would I do that?

I disconnect the USB cable entirely before rebooting as per the instructions; the only things connected are the HDMI lead and the power cable when booting up the device.

The USB cable only needs to be attached when you want to reflash the software.

Bart

22nd Sep 13 at 19:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Turns out the update has been pulled due to bricked devices

http://www.engadget.com/2013/09/22/apple-tv-6-0-quietly-pulled-following-bricked-updates/

Trip to the shop me thinks!

[Edited on 22-09-2013 by Bart]
evilrob
Premium Member

22nd Sep 13 at 19:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nice - cheers, Bart!
Bart

23rd Sep 13 at 06:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

From what I've read, it is possible to restore via iTunes Rob.
Can you put the thing in some type of recovery mode?

I've never used one so not familiar with them.
evilrob
Premium Member

23rd Sep 13 at 09:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Bart
From what I've read, it is possible to restore via iTunes Rob.
Can you put the thing in some type of recovery mode?

I've never used one so not familiar with them.

Yes it is possible to restore via iTunes - I've done it before and I'm familiar with the process.

I can successfully complete the recovery process, but it still won't boot - apparently I'm not alone in this respect; there are quite a lot of unrecoverable bricked Apple TVs courtesy of this update!

I'm sure the fruity ones will sort it out.

[Edited on 23-09-2013 by evilrob]

New Poll