corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Does this seem like a blown head gasket???

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Does this seem like a blown head gasket???
tonyuk1974

User status: Offline
   23rd Jul 13 at 18:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi, thanks for reading. Ok, my friend has a 57 plate corsa with the 1.4 Z14XEP engine. Apparently all was well with the car until about a week ago it started to lose water. So he kept it topped up until one day it drank so much water it couldn't even get him back from our local shop. Anyway the following day it wouldn't start so he came and got me. This is my finding just by a quick look over. The top breather pipe is split from top to bottom. When you attempt to start the car ir has difficulty turning over at 1st and when it does turn over, it does not start or even attempt to. When you turn it over with the expansion tank top off, water gushes and i mean gushes out of the hole. There is ver slight creaming on the oil filler cap so head gasket will need to be replaced but does it sound normal for just a head gasket. Thanks. Ps. Car has covered 33k
Jamie-C

23rd Jul 13 at 19:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Pull the spark plugs out and turn it over, see if water splashes out, then you will know for sure
tonyuk1974

23rd Jul 13 at 19:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ok will do.Thanks
Pete_gsi

23rd Jul 13 at 20:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cream on cap can be caused be condensation. Check dip stick. When gasket gos sum time the oil an water dont mix it just burns water off but not shur on this engine. But there wud be a lot of white smoke if thats the case.
Pete_gsi

23rd Jul 13 at 20:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also when u start up dos it start on 3 thats normally a tell tail sign
jay26

23rd Jul 13 at 20:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sounds like its gone between the water way and combustion chamber, as said take the spark plugs out and see if it spits water out of the hole when cranking
jay26

23rd Jul 13 at 20:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Pete_gsi
Also when u start up dos it start on 3 thats normally a tell tail sign

Because its not turning over properly would say it had too much compression.... Like cant compress the water, don't try and start it with the spark plugs in the last thing that he wants is to bend the conrods
tonyuk1974

23rd Jul 13 at 21:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ok, slwillbdo the spark plug test tomorrow morning. So if it spurts water out the spark plug hole, could it be just the head gasket? Ive changed lots of gaskets before but never came across one that pumps water out so much of the expansion bottle. Anyway I'll let u know results of plug test in the morning. Thanks again everyone. Most helpful.
Firefly

24th Jul 13 at 13:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mine had those symptoms, but id cracked a valve guide
tom130691
Premium Member

24th Jul 13 at 19:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

safe to say its ruined i think, sister did it on a ka

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10201264824566947&set=vb.1361926103&type=3&theater

scrapped it
tonyuk1974

26th Jul 13 at 13:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ok so i took the plugs out and every piston was full with water ): sounds like it mite have cracked the head to me. What says you people? Also will a corsa b 1.4 16v head fit on it? Thanks
tom130691
Premium Member

27th Jul 13 at 21:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

doubt it
tonyuk1974

28th Jul 13 at 05:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah i doubt it too lol. Gonna have to source a new engine i think, or scrap the car. Thanks to everyone that helped.
Jamie-C

28th Jul 13 at 13:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why? Just get head skimmed and new head gasket, job jobbed. Can do it in a day no bother once the head is done.
tonyuk1974

28th Jul 13 at 15:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Was going to but can find the timing marks! Anybody got any ideas? ��
tonyuk1974

28th Jul 13 at 15:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dint know why all those numbers came up at the end of that comment. Was supposed to be a smiley lol

New Poll