corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Corsa B Rad Thermoswitch

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Corsa B Rad Thermoswitch
dragon2309

User status: Offline
31st May 13 at 19:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi, the rad switches in corsas, how do they work? Are they a sensor that changes its resistance on a sliding scale as temperature changes? Or are they literally a switch, which switches in and out (on or off) at a given set temperature?

Need to know as I need to re-wire one completely that's gone all kinds of fucked up. If its just a thermoswitch, then I can just feed the on/off output into a relay and run my own high current wire to the fans.

If its a varying resistance depending on temperature then I'm going to have to get creative....

Cheers, Dave.

[Edited on 31-05-2013 by dragon2309]
AlexW

31st May 13 at 20:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its a simple on/off, Its normally on the earth circuit. 98 degrees on standard switches, 96 on some others.

Keep it a simple live to the fan, earth through the switch.

When are you going to be playing with it? I'm 2/3 of the way there tomorrow.
dragon2309

31st May 13 at 21:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AlexW
Its a simple on/off, Its normally on the earth circuit. 98 degrees on standard switches, 96 on some others.

Keep it a simple live to the fan, earth through the switch.

When are you going to be playing with it? I'm 2/3 of the way there tomorrow.
Excellent news, so run a high current feed into the fan, out the other side into the thermoswitch, then out the other side fo switch to chassis ground? No relays that way, good call. May stick a fuse on the high current feed though.

It won't be tomorrow though I don't think, or at least not for me. Mark's taking it to the exhaust shop first thing so I won't be there. Not sure what he's doing after that though, maybe have a word with him and see if he's working on it after the exhaust shop.

Thanks for the advice bud
AlexW

31st May 13 at 21:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I can't remember where the feed for the fan comes from, But yeah, a Mega fuse on the feed side is never a bad idea, Keep it neat.
dragon2309

31st May 13 at 22:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The feed for this fan isn't to be relied upon if I'm honest. It'll be a new feed run from the positive junction box in the bay (battery in boot). So will fuse it up near the bulkhead. IIRC the fans are 80w.. So around 7-8A draw. Will stick a 10A fuse in.

AlexW

1st Jun 13 at 07:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Check what they draw on startup.

New Poll