corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Process of elimination, your opinions now please

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Process of elimination, your opinions now please
damandblast

User status: Offline
   29th Nov 06 at 11:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It is so frustrating having to wait for the morning before you can ferret around under a bonnet to try something out....

But, Engine overheat problem, so far have tested the following.

Sniffer test OK (thank god)
Fan not kicking in but.... rad staying cold so suspect thermostate sticking shut? But, a new thermoswitch was supplied with the new radiator?

Thought about airlock too so ran it this morning with coolant cap off, up to hot then put internal heating system on full belt to try and clear any possible blockage. Internal heating system is working OK too. Only bubbling in coolant was from temperature as opposed to sudden clearing of lock.

Any other thoughts or possibilities I should check for?

Must say, I have learnt a hell of a lot about cars since Jamie bought this Corsa! lol, the only problem is I still don't know a deal so it just goes to show how little I knew in the first place!

Di
Vaux Lad

29th Nov 06 at 11:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ThermoSwitch and Thermostat are two different things.

The switch switches your rad fan on.

The thermostat controls the flow of coolant back to the rad.

Does sound like the stat is jammed shut.

[Edited on 29-11-2006 by Vaux Lad]
PaulW

29th Nov 06 at 11:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

agree with vauxlad

what engine is it??

if its a 16v smallblock, thermostat is easy enough to do, 8v then a little more trickier...
damandblast

29th Nov 06 at 11:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by PaulW
agree with vauxlad

what engine is it??

1.4 8v - trust us to get tricky lol!
damandblast

29th Nov 06 at 11:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ok just an update (son) as im here at home, ran the test to clear air locks nothing happened there, rad stays cold only heat is from general heat coming off the engine.

Another thing i have noticed, yes it's cold but cars pooring out quite abit of white smoke nothing OTT but still alot, no water coming out however just condesing on the kit.

seems as low compression before the problem with the rad when the car was 1st started it would hold around 1,000 revs, currently it's holding around 500-600, car shakes quite alot when its left ticking...the hole exhaust system crackles and shakes including the engine.

Also, only way to start it atm is a rev start, no idea of thats down to battery shall see. Also every so offen a very load and shape hissing noise (like a screetch on a plate) bolts out from the engine...

just thought i would fill in abit more.

tar.

[Edited on 29-11-2006 by damandblast]
damandblast

29th Nov 06 at 12:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

OMG can I swear on here

Engine loosing compression now and juddering like hell!

No sticky stuff on engine, (seen a gasket go into oilways before and it does make a mess) coolant level in res seems stable so doesn't indicate exessive loss. Some white smoke from exhaust but this could be normal cold start up, not sure how much you would get from a head gasket blow out?

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Di

New Poll