corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » App Ideas

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author App Ideas
12vStig

User status: Offline
22nd Apr 13 at 20:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have an idea for an app I seriously believe in, after many failed attempts to even begin piecing together something that would resemble what I want to do I've come to the conclusion I've got no chance of creating my vision by myself!

So I know some of you are into the whole app scene, any suggestions of where I should turn now, is there an easier way to make basic apps that I'm just missing? Are there any reputable people out there who can help make my dream a reality?
Gary
Premium Member

22nd Apr 13 at 20:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Evil robs mate will build it, find his thread in here somewhere
ed

24th Apr 13 at 13:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have you done any development before? If you're familiar with C# (VB soon) and .Net then Xamarin is a good way to go. I'm using it at work to build something and while building a UI for iOS is a bit of a mindfuck the rest of it's nice and easy
Balling
Premium Member

24th Apr 13 at 13:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
building a UI for iOS is a bit of a mindfuck
How so?

What are you using to build the GUI? Seems Fireworks is the best practice way of handling the different resolutions.

ed

24th Apr 13 at 15:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fireworks may build the graphics, but you've still got to program it. Our app only needs standard Apple UI items so I've either done things in interface builder or programming them from scratch. It's a lot less intuitive for someone with a web development and Windows forms application background.
A2H GO

24th Apr 13 at 15:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There's always Lua and Corona (with the advantage of being able to run on iOS and Android) but it can be quite limiting depending on what you're trying to do?
evilrob
Premium Member

24th Apr 13 at 15:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Gary
Evil robs mate will build it, find his thread in here somewhere

Here's the thread:
http://www.corsasport.co.uk/board/viewthread.php?tid=652822

Here's his Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/OtterStudios?fref=ts

Tap him up - he can build it for you, just need to work out some kind of revenue share deal.
Whittie

24th Apr 13 at 15:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If theres one thing Rob's mate will have learnt, it would be now to steal Stig's idea.
evilrob
Premium Member

24th Apr 13 at 15:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm pretty sure he wouldn't do that on principle.
12vStig

24th Apr 13 at 16:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers guys, I had read that thread and that was what made me more paranoid than ever and convinced me to try and make it myself! I have very very very limited programming experience so it was always going to end in tears! I'll definitely run it by them although look like they're into more fun/game apps whereas mine would be more serious/lifestyle based
Dom

24th Apr 13 at 16:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by A2H GO
There's always Lua and Corona....

I've only really seen LUA being used for game dev and if it's a cross-platform game you want then you'd be better off with Moai framework considering it's free and offers a few performance increases over Corona.

Otherwise you go 'native' where you can or there are other frameworks more-geared towards cross-platform apps rather than games (also have HTML based frameworks like PhoneGap). Entirely depends on what you're wanting to achieve.

12vStig - You really need to talk to a proper app developer or an agency that deals with mobile app development, so get Googling, phoning and posting on tech forums (might be worth asking over on OcUK; fair few members in the mobile dev business).
Having a solid plan of the app will also help. And don't expect getting an app developed to be cheap, it won't be
ed

24th Apr 13 at 16:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've used PhoneGap in the past, it's more trouble than it's worth.
12vStig

24th Apr 13 at 16:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This is the thing, I'm from a business background, degree etc and the whole idea came about as a marketing portfolio, I have the idea, I have the research and I know how to market it. I just don't have the app.

I can imagine costs would be running into the thousands which I simply do not have, this coupled with my limited programming knowledge leaves me up a very large creek without a boat, paddle or even a vest!
ed

24th Apr 13 at 16:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you think it's a good idea and have a business head, put together a tidy presentation and get yourself on Kickstarter asking for money!
12vStig

24th Apr 13 at 17:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've actually got presentation on the whole thing but seen from more of a marketeers perspective. I might tidy that up, mock up a few screenshots and see where that'll get me.
Russ

24th Apr 13 at 17:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i have an idea
A2H GO

24th Apr 13 at 18:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you're Ok with photoshop you could use something like Flinto to make a prototype app, it's basically a series of screenshots you can link together just like you would on the device, it can even be ran on the phone and will give potential developers a very clear idea of what you're after. Infact most professionals use similar prototyping software before they even think about coding.

The problem with advertising or putting it on kickstarter is that if its a half decent concept it will be copied and on the App Store before the funding has even ended, as Otter Studios found out.
Toby
Premium Member

24th Apr 13 at 19:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Don't be afraid of speaking to companies seriously regarding the idea. Just have them sign a non disclosure agreement.
Jamie Walby

30th Apr 13 at 09:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

The problem with advertising or putting it on kickstarter is that if its a half decent concept it will be copied and on the App Store before the funding has even ended, as Otter Studios found out.

Is there no way he could patent or copyright such an idea? I guess that costs more money, catch 22.
Dom

30th Apr 13 at 09:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jamie Walby
quote:

Is there no way he could patent or copyright such an idea? I guess that costs more money, catch 22.

Copyright an App?

You'll never stop someone taking your idea and adding their own twist to it, especially in the app/software development world. Otter Studios is a perfect example - they nabbed an idea and added their twist, in turn someone else nabbed that idea and changed it up a little more.

Also talk of NDA's is a bit It's a sure-fire way of putting people off, especially if you're trying to do it on the cheap and heading to freelancers.
Worth a read - HERE and HERE
Jamie Walby

30th Apr 13 at 12:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
quote:
Originally posted by Jamie Walby
quote:

Copyright an App?

You'll never stop someone taking your idea and adding their own twist to it, especially in the app/software development world. Otter Studios is a perfect example - they nabbed an idea and added their twist, in turn someone else nabbed that idea and changed it up a little more.

Also talk of NDA's is a bit It's a sure-fire way of putting people off, especially if you're trying to do it on the cheap and heading to freelancers.
Worth a read - HERE and HERE

sorry for asking

A2H GO

30th Apr 13 at 13:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's OK mate, Dom's the new old John, ever such a cheery chappy.
Dom

30th Apr 13 at 13:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
It's OK mate, Dom's the new old John, ever such a cheery chappy.

Stop ruining threads because you're bitter
ed

30th Apr 13 at 19:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Don't see why an NDA is overkill. I've had to sign them for plenty of freelance projects.
Dom

30th Apr 13 at 20:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
Don't see why an NDA is overkill. I've had to sign them for plenty of freelance projects.

Granted it depends on the restrictions placed by the NDA but it can easily hinder future projects/work.

New Poll