corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » UPDATE #3: My mate's gone a bit mental - 4pics1word ripped off the game :(

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author UPDATE #3: My mate's gone a bit mental - 4pics1word ripped off the game :(
evilrob
Premium Member

User status: Offline
18th Mar 13 at 20:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This is my mate Nick:

When he's not too busy looking like a cross between Craig David and Martin 'Money Saving Expert' Lewis, he fancies himself as a programmer. So much so, he's quit his job and started developing mobile phone games full time.

To kickstart his venture, in his infinite wisdom he's under the impression that giving away an 11" MacBook Air will ensure his latest creation becomes the next Draw Something.

I have to admire the fact he's gone all in; the man clearly has balls several times the size of my own but I think he's mental. And wrong. Nevertheless, the power of CS may be able to help him cover at least some of the cost of the prize in ad revenue.

So, mostly to help my mate but also to possibly win a MacBook Air, if you have a touchable handheld computer running iOS or Android, you should do this:

Yeah, I know - for once, an actually legit, "Win a Apple thing OMFG!!!!111!!!eleven" competition - I've seen the aforementioned MacBook Air (unused, boxed in case you were wondering), and while I may question his recent career-related decisions, he's as honest as they come; I'm absolutely certain that even if only 10 people download his game it will be given away to one of them.

You'll notice that as well as starting a competition which will never pay for itself, he's also chosen a stupid closing date and put "A 11" MacBook Air" instead of "An 11" MacBook Air. Hopefully you can/will help him on his way!

Otter Studios facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/OtterStudios

Direct link to game on iTunes:
https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/picture-word/id616837565?mt=8

[Edited on 01-04-2013 by evilrob]

[Edited on 04-04-2013 by evilrob]
Dave

18th Mar 13 at 20:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Winners announced 1st April?

Hmmm...
evilrob
Premium Member

18th Mar 13 at 20:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I know - that's what I said.
LeeM

18th Mar 13 at 20:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

nice idea of a game tag, but if you put the wrong letter in how do you remove it?
evilrob
Premium Member

18th Mar 13 at 20:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by LeeM
nice idea of a game tag, but if you put the wrong letter in how do you remove it?

Tap on it again.
Jambo

18th Mar 13 at 20:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Picture word, that not the same as four pictures one word that is already massively popular
evilrob
Premium Member

18th Mar 13 at 20:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Similar, but distinct in a 'Catchphrase' style 'say what you see' - fork handles / four candles phonetics kind of thing.
Brett
Premium Member

18th Mar 13 at 20:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Seems like it's got a bug? You use your coins to reveal a letter and if you press it again it'll take more coins but not reveal another?

[Edited on 18-03-2013 by Brett]
LeeM

18th Mar 13 at 20:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jambo
Picture word, that not the same as four pictures one word that is already massively popular

Concept of this is actually better. i wa ssearching for a game like this after watching 8 out of 10 cats the other night i think
Brett
Premium Member

18th Mar 13 at 20:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've done up to level 5 twice now and neither time can i install somethin else? It shows the ad but clicking it just progresses the game?
evilrob
Premium Member

18th Mar 13 at 20:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Brett
Seems like it's got a bug? You use your coins to reveal a letter and if you press it again it'll take more coins but not reveal another?

Go on his Facebook page and tell him he's a cunt. Or just report the bug; I haven't had that particular issue myself.
Brett
Premium Member

18th Mar 13 at 20:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm not bothered enough would've been nice to enter the competition like but it's an ok game anyway.
evilrob
Premium Member

18th Mar 13 at 21:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I'm not bothered enough would've been nice to enter the competition like but it's an ok game anyway.

The thing is, if you tell him he'll probably fix it; he's got fuck-all else to do.

Or I'll tell him on your behalf. Lemme know if it does anything else a bit shit.
Brett
Premium Member

18th Mar 13 at 21:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Will do
Balling
Premium Member

18th Mar 13 at 21:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by evilrob
Lemme know if it does anything else a bit shit.
Not a bug, but for it to be success it needs a major design overhaul. People are getting used to incredibly sleek and well designed game UI's. This looks like it was designed in MS Publisher and that's going to turn off a lot of potential buyers.

It's just simple psychology that if it looks good, people automatically assume it actually IS good. And the other way around.

I know a great graphics designer who's looking for more freelance work. U2U for details...

evilrob
Premium Member

18th Mar 13 at 21:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I totally agree, personally I'd have had the pictures on a left-to-right scrolly carousel, leaving more space for the blanks/letters - the word you're spelling out is too small, also some drag and drop would have been nice.

As for typography, he may as well have used Comic Sans.

I can criticise all I like - I haven't bet my house on a business venture; gotta give him credit for actually being out there doing it while I push around data for the man for a living.
evilrob
Premium Member

18th Mar 13 at 21:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I've done up to level 5 twice now and neither time can i install somethin else? It shows the ad but clicking it just progresses the game?

For the benefit of others who may have the same problem: apparently the ads show up every 12 levels, so you can just keep playing and try on another one. No need to uninstall/reinstall the app.
Jambo

18th Mar 13 at 22:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Never downloaded this, just tried his band logo game! The touch screen is a bit lacking in response randomly and the adverts are annoying as shit but its fun so far!
deano87

18th Mar 13 at 22:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sounds like a right faff downloading this installing that.

And I'm on Android.
Dom

18th Mar 13 at 22:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good luck to the guy, as you say he's got some cahoonas
Although with iOS/Android being a crowded market, it might be worth suggesting that he has a look at WinPho or BlackBerry (not sure if it's still on but BB were paying developers to knock up apps) and throwing out apps that are available on other platforms.

[Edited on 18-03-2013 by Dom]
Robin
Premium Member

19th Mar 13 at 08:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I can't see my code
Brett
Premium Member

19th Mar 13 at 08:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Did you click on "say what you see" ?
Robin
Premium Member

19th Mar 13 at 08:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

evilrob
Premium Member

19th Mar 13 at 09:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Shut the game completely by double-clicking your home button, holding down on the game icon and hitting the 'x' then reopen the app - at the bottom of the screen there is the text 'say what you see' - you need to click on that:

evilrob
Premium Member

19th Mar 13 at 15:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by deano87
Sounds like a right faff downloading this installing that.

You're not the only one who said this, so he's made it easier to enter.

Download the game
Get the code
Email to enter

Job done!

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll