corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » The Official F1 Season 2013 Thread

New Poll
  <<  20    21    22    23    24    25    26  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author The Official F1 Season 2013 Thread
JonnyJ

User status: Offline
13th May 13 at 19:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Daveskater
quote:
Originally posted by JonnyJ
One of the best races we had all season, last season was Texas, when Lewis and Seb spent all race, literally on the absolute limit, that was awesome to watch, and it was brought about by an extremely conservative tyre choice that enabled both guys to push.
You're quite right, I can't disagree there. Pirelli really can't seem to get it right though - they were brought in to bring about a change from the Bridgestones, but everyone is moaning about that change. Ultimately it needs someone at the top to pull it together, say "we want the tyres to do two stops but be able to go flat out the whole time" or "we want high degredation tyres with three stops" and the teams are just going to have to go with it. Obviously as you say, they would prefer the first option as they want to be driving the car as fast as possible, which makes it more exciting for us, but the flip side to that is that we will probably go back to predictability of RB running away with the title with Merc and Ferrari fighting it out for second.

There's really no win/win situation. Exciting racing = RB (most likely to) win. Tyre strategy racing = unpredictability, but slower driving.

Sounds like Mateschitz had a go at Bernie because of it after the race - http://www.f1times.co.uk/news/display/07586

"Mateschitz claims his team is being severly disadvantaged by the high wearing tyres which is forcing his drivers to lap slower than they ultimately could to save rubber." Tbf everyone is in that position, so it's just who can manage it the best.

Yep, i agree Dave, its a really fine balance, because if they do change it and Red Bull run away with it ala 2011 everyone will say that they preferred it when the tyres were unpredictable

Its fine tuning it needs, we dont want tyres that will last an entire race, we need a good mix and with all the different types of circuits, its going to be very hard to get that right 100% of the time. Pirelli have admitted this much themselves anyway so hopefully they sort it out sharpish. To see what must a be very fast car, the Merc, qualify 1st and 2nd go on to finish 6th and 12th reflects badly on a sport that is as much about the technical side of the car as the drivers ability. Niether are getting fully tested right now and thats wrong. Fair enough, the tyres are part of the car and if that is a weak link, it should be penalised, but not to that extent, it is literally the defining thing about the entire car now, get that wrong and you may as well race without a front and rear wing.

What we should be seeing is if a car is aerodynamically good but poor on tyres, it should pull it level/closer with a car thats good on tyres, but poor aerodynamically. Its too far one way at the moment.
Kyle T
Premium Member

13th May 13 at 19:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bring back tyre wars. I'd like to see Pirelli producing these cheesewheels when Nankang cars are going 10 sec a lap quicker

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
cunningham

13th May 13 at 21:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just bring in mandatory pitstops, 2 minimum make tyres last longer say 20 laps
JonnyJ

14th May 13 at 21:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Changes to be rung then

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/22523596

Still think the Ferrari will be strong. It'll hurt Lotus the most of the top running teams
Scotty_B

15th May 13 at 12:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Please bring back the 1 hr qualifying session. if you get held up, tough.
Whittie

15th May 13 at 14:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Scotty_B
Please bring back the 1 hr qualifying session. if you get held up, tough.

This.

Pissed me off the other day when button shouted down his mic to the team I got held up....! Boo Hoo!
JonnyJ

15th May 13 at 14:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Aye but that would just lead to one guy going out and doing a quick lap then driving round the track being a mobile chicane
Whittie

15th May 13 at 14:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by JonnyJ
Aye but that would just lead to one guy going out and doing a quick lap then driving round the track being a mobile chicane

Sounds awesome
noshua

15th May 13 at 19:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Kyle T
Premium Member

15th May 13 at 19:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

1hour qualifying with current tyres would be terrible!

We're already seeing the first half of Q1, Q2 and sometimes even Q3 with just an empty track because nobody wants to waste "their" rubber on stickying up the track.

Imagine it for an hour! 56mins sat watching Horner smirking, Button licking his earpieces and Hamilton having rap battles in his garage followed by 4mins of 22 cars braketesting each other.

No thanks

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Rick Draper

16th May 13 at 09:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So Honda are back in 2015 with McLaren, there engines had better be better than the last time and the car they go in had better be better than the current McLaren.
Jamie Walby

16th May 13 at 10:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They should all have 1 lap for qualifying.

An out lap, a timed lap and an in lap. Cars set out at set intervals.

If you fuck up, tough.
Marc

16th May 13 at 12:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I get the feeling they will be like Mercedes have been the passed few years.

Certainly need to be better than their time with Jordan.
JonnyJ

16th May 13 at 17:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Boulier is not happy

Not surprised tbh, whatever decision they made was going to piss someone off. I still think they should have just made a new hard tyre and moved each compound down one step, eg current hard becomes new medium, and so on.
JonnyJ

16th May 13 at 17:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jamie Walby
They should all have 1 lap for qualifying.

An out lap, a timed lap and an in lap. Cars set out at set intervals.

If you fuck up, tough.

The problem with that idea is whoever goes out last is going to have a massive advantage over the track getting better and better with previous cars running on it. It will make qualifying extremely predictable and how many people are going to pay good money to watch 22 cars do one fast lap each, the session could be done in 45 minutes and you'll only see one car on the track at a time.
Kyle T
Premium Member

16th May 13 at 20:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I quite like the existing qualifying format, it makes the best of a bad set of circumstances tbh (tyres).

The Q3 tactical choice of "Banker and Bonzai" or "One lap Bonzai" is an interesting one. Having the confidence for a single glory lap can give a great advantage in the race by saving a set of tyres... rewarding bravery kinda thing.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Daveskater
Premium Member

21st May 13 at 19:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What's quite interesting is that in DTM they do the Q1 - 3 the same as F1, but then do a 4th session where the top 4 cars in Q3 go out and do one flying lap, and that is the battle for pole. Pretty similar to what Jamie was saying.

Ecclestone actually says something interesting for a change here - http://www.f1times.co.uk/news/display/07612

That kind of follows on from what I said before, that Bernie has said he wants tyres that force a couple of put stops, so the teams are just going to have to get on with it. He also makes a fair point that there are so many factors determining the life span of a tyre, that even if they did have tyres that did 20 laps consistently then dropped off, driving style will still affect that, so to an extent the drivers will still be trying to get a longer life out of the tyres at times.

Also, in case anyone didn't know, Pirelli have been told that they're not allowed to change the tyre compounds unless it's on safety grounds. Seeing as they've only been saying so far that the changes they want to make are to increase durability, it looks like things will be staying as they are for now - http://www.f1times.co.uk/news/display/07604

Numberwang!

Originally posted by AlunJ
I like you Dave, you are a man of men

Originally Whatapp'd by Neo
Dave's maybe capable of a drive-by cuddle

Look at my pictures
Kyle T
Premium Member

21st May 13 at 21:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Watched Monaco 2003 and 2008 in the last couple of days thanks to Sky.

I miss refuelling and I miss the bridgestones. People are banding "strategy" around a lot with regards to the Pirelli's, but the pit strategies involved in fuel and stint times in the early-mid 00's was far superior. Seeing a driver switch from 1:35's for example to 1:32's in order to leapfrog under pits was excellent, proper edge of seat racing for 3-4 lap bursts to make up gaps etc.

Just not seeing that anymore

quote:
Originally posted by Daveskater
safety grounds

You mean like 4 or 5 delaminations in 3 weekends?

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Dom

22nd May 13 at 19:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Jenson's face says it all when a question got asked about Hamilton's and Sutil's relationship - http://www1.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/formula-1/8728125/sutil-still-waiting-for-get-together
Aaron

23rd May 13 at 16:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Credit to Lewis for being professional about his answer tbh. On the public front, he always appears to be the guy who wants to get on with everyone. Would be interesting to be a fly on the wall if someone like his dad or best friend asked him the same question though.
Kyle T
Premium Member

23rd May 13 at 16:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Merc looking hot for pole as expected.

I've only been reading bits and pieces between meetings today, but it sounds like Rosberg is running "old suspension" whether that means setup or physical I don't know and that Hamilton is running "new suspension".

If the headline times are to believed, Hamilton has lost 3 tenths to Rosberg but Hamilton's racepace is better, on a par with Ferrari.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
eckers90

23rd May 13 at 16:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
Jenson's face says it all when a question got asked about Hamilton's and Sutil's relationship - http://www1.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/formula-1/8728125/sutil-still-waiting-for-get-together

the awkwardness of that clip is amazing.
JonnyJ

23rd May 13 at 17:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kyle T
Merc looking hot for pole as expected.

I've only been reading bits and pieces between meetings today, but it sounds like Rosberg is running "old suspension" whether that means setup or physical I don't know and that Hamilton is running "new suspension".

If the headline times are to believed, Hamilton has lost 3 tenths to Rosberg but Hamilton's racepace is better, on a par with Ferrari.

If thats true and the trade off is only 3/4 tenths then thats great news. Still ahead of Alonso in practice. Obviously tyre deg isnt a massive issue here though, so cant read too much into it. What were Rosberg's race sims like compared to Lewis? Track position is everything here but a jump in the pits is possible.
Kyle T
Premium Member

23rd May 13 at 17:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've not seen any times yet, just read one liners.

Read Rosberg was having to weave cooldown laps into his race sims, wheras hamilton just pumped them in (and went longer).

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
JonnyJ

23rd May 13 at 17:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Interesting, interesting. I expect Rosberg to get pole anyway, hes just got a better feel for the car at the moment, i suppose that comes with being at a team for years.

<<  20    21    22    23    24    25    26  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » The Official F1 Season 2013 Thread 24 database queries in 0.1957350 seconds