corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Mortgage advisor vs organising it yourself

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Mortgage advisor vs organising it yourself
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Offline
3rd Jan 13 at 21:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thoughts.

In my experience, there was nothing a MA could get me that wasn't available on the open market.

Thus it was cheaper to not be paying their wages from my monthly payment.

Interested to see how it compares before I have a Facebook argument with someone about how great her MA is because she didn't receive as much commission as she should have done therefore that's a great deal.
John

3rd Jan 13 at 21:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I couldn't get my FTB deal any other way than an advisor, I won't be using one to renew. I knew exactly what I was going into and that I was better off even after paying his fees. From speaking to other people I knew buying at the time, they seemed to be being completely conned and just going with whatever they were told, no matter how rubbish a deal it was.

In that sort of circumstance though, would the buyer manage to sort out one of the better deals on their own?
M2RTY

3rd Jan 13 at 21:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my advisor i have used 3 times now, even though he went with halifax last time he got us a better rate, and a quicker turnaround too, plus he did all paperwork and explained a lot to us too

and yes i am the tightest man in the world and wouldnt ever see my getting ripped off

we had 3 or 4 issues too, which they sorted out for us, as we were both working longh days and out the county for a week of the process too
Cavey

3rd Jan 13 at 21:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We bought on shared ownership so had to use the company provided for us. The guy was an arrogant Pricks, talked to us like we knew nothing and generally patronised us all the way through the process.

Also worried the missus into going on a high fixed rate instead of variable which would of been far better.

I definitely won't be using that company this time round, doesn't mean I wouldn't consider using one, but its more than likely ill just carry on with RBS.
Daniel_Corsa
Premium Member

3rd Jan 13 at 21:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Used an IFA twice now, same rates as if I went to bank personally. Quite open how much he gets paid from my provider in both cases.

If he hadn't got it someone at the bank would have, hassle free for me, not having to fanny on with it yourself.

April '06' Corsasport Feature Car | Aug '08' Total Vauxhall Feature Car | Spring '09' Fast Car Feature Car
Nismo

3rd Jan 13 at 21:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have used them twice, first time round it was all new to me and to be honest it was a help as they explained everything to us, using them currently to remortgage, they use the mA system and seem to get better deals than we found hunting around, and they sort all the paper work and everything. I'm sure i could do it all but they get paid from the companies and we dont pay them so im happy to use them, plus they are a local run business so happy to help them that bit more.
Ian
Site Administrator

3rd Jan 13 at 21:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Two things -

You are paying them somehow.

Is paperwork that hard.
Nismo

3rd Jan 13 at 22:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ours gets paid commission from the mortgage company, in a way we might pay them, but without them i couldn't of got the deal that i got on the open market.

No paper work is not that hard, but i simply had them everything and they do it all.
Lee_fr200

3rd Jan 13 at 23:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Without mine I wouldn't have got a mortgage, she got me the best rates and I was a ftb,
Ian
Site Administrator

3rd Jan 13 at 23:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How close were the deals you could get? I assume you looked around the compare?
Graeme
Premium Member

4th Jan 13 at 00:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We got .2% better rate on the exact same Mortage through our adviser.

She was paid by them with commission. Would never pay the advisor. As they all get the commission aswell. Also it's easier for them to do the pAperwork and you just sign it. Ill be using mine again.

[Edited on 04-01-2013 by Graeme]
Lee_fr200

4th Jan 13 at 00:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Lenders were declining me Ian for some reason then with an advisor the same lenders were throwing money at us very very odd
Russ

4th Jan 13 at 07:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can organise your own and get paid for it yourself.
Demo

4th Jan 13 at 09:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Used one to set up our mortgage originally and used him again for re-mortgage. I would say it was worth the money as I knew nothing about mortgages

However, I will organise my own next time now that I know more of what I'm looking at. Saves a few quid then
AndyKent

4th Jan 13 at 09:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I struggle to believe that you can get better through an IFA than by yourself.

Logically, an IFA/MA is only doing work that you could be doing yourself. It isn't saving the bank any work and there is no benefit to the bank by offering a lesser rate to an 'independent' person.

When I did my mortgage application it was so incredibly easy, I can't see the point of ever using anyone else to do it. Presumably you still had to give a bunch of information to the IFA for them to fill the form in, they've merely saved you the effort in writing it down, no?
AndyKent

4th Jan 13 at 09:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
Two things -

You are paying them somehow.

Is paperwork that hard.

This, basically.
James

4th Jan 13 at 09:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The best rate my MA got me was worse than what I got from tapping my details into Money Supermarket. Needless to say I didn't use his quote.
Rob_Quads

4th Jan 13 at 09:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When I last got my mortgage I went through a MA.(was 4 years ago)

He was able to get me a better deal than I was able to find anywhere. Even knowing exactly who it was with etc, I rang up directly and could not get them to match what the MA was able to get me.

It was over £150pm cheaper than i could find anywhere from the MA so i went with him.
Nismo

4th Jan 13 at 09:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AndyKent

Logically, an IFA/MA is only doing work that you could be doing yourself. It isn't saving the bank any work and there is no benefit to the bank by offering a lesser rate to an 'independent' person.

When I did my mortgage application it was so incredibly easy, I can't see the point of ever using anyone else to do it. Presumably you still had to give a bunch of information to the IFA for them to fill the form in, they've merely saved you the effort in writing it down, no?

You can struggle to believe it all you want, but the rate they gave me was not the same as the rate that i got when i called them up.

simple as.
Russ

4th Jan 13 at 09:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nismo
quote:
Originally posted by AndyKent

You can struggle to believe it all you want, but the rate they gave me was not the same as the rate that i got when i called them up.

simple as.
brokers get special deals. FACT
SXI - Matt

4th Jan 13 at 11:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We used one for our mortgage mainly as we were first time buyers and after weeks & weeks of searching she managed to come up with a deal better then any out there. They defiantly have access to better deal's

Didn't pay her as she got the commission through the mortgage company which yes will be paid by us some what but I didn't have to hand out a load of money to her.

[Edited on 04-01-2013 by SXI - Matt]

[Edited on 04-01-2013 by SXI - Matt]
jrsteeve

4th Jan 13 at 16:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've always used one, though to be fair I used to work with him so I trust him anyway.

I always recommend getting a quote direct from your own bank and another from an IFA. Both the bank and the IFA make more from the insurances they flog, that's where they get you.
3CorsaMeal

4th Jan 13 at 16:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So you use someone else to do work for you and get stuff cheaper than if you had cut them out and sorted it yourself

I want a car insurance advisor please.
Dave

4th Jan 13 at 23:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's a brilliant idea, although I think they should call them insurance brokers, can't believe no one has thought of this before.
M2RTY

4th Jan 13 at 23:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by 3CorsaMeal
So you use someone else to do work for you and get stuff cheaper than if you had cut them out and sorted it yourself

I want a car insurance advisor please.

I hope that was a bad joke and your not actually that stupid...

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll