corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Plastering II

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Plastering II
Sam
Premium Member

User status: Offline
3rd Dec 12 at 11:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

OK I have recently started doing a bit of skimming on the landing downstairs by our front door.

I've left it to dry for a couple of weeks now but the bottom bit seems to get darker (damp?) whenever it rains or is really cold like, every day so far

This wall doesn't have anything on the other side (it's an external wall if you see what I mean).

Thoughts?
RichR
Premium Member

3rd Dec 12 at 12:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is it boarded or skimmed over bonding/browning?

The fact it's only happening when it rains would lead me to think its rising damp. What gap is there from the floor to the very bottom of the plaster?
Sam
Premium Member

3rd Dec 12 at 13:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nah there's no boarding, they (whoever) bonded/browned over the brickwork and then skimmed over.

I just PVA'd and skimmed over the original skim layer as there were some deep recesses in places so thought I'd just use the original skim layer as a base after I prep'd it.

The skim layer (original + mine) goes right to the top of the skirting boards, so I assume there is a gap behind the boards.

Would it be worth me removing some board to verify this?

Also - the house has been damp proofed as there are loads of drill holes outside that have been filled in.
Nismo

3rd Dec 12 at 14:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The drill wholes might be cavity walls filled in, sometimes this can lead to damp spots as moisture then passes through the outside brick through the insulation and onto the inside block.
Sam
Premium Member

3rd Dec 12 at 14:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Interesting. The previous owners didn't really know what they had done to the house TBH

I forgot to add earlier that there is an air brick which is near the front door, is this not supposed to help with removing moisture?

[Edited on 03-12-2012 by Sam]
mattk

3rd Dec 12 at 17:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sounds like damp, is there anything on the otherside of the wall that could transfer moisture? like a raised flower bed or a pile of bricks? leaking drain pipe? or anything else thats un toward
Whittie

4th Dec 12 at 10:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Has it ever dried?
Sam
Premium Member

4th Dec 12 at 11:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's mostly dry it's just the bottom bit, probably about 7 inches or so from the bottom of the plastering that hasn't completely dried.

As it's not rained here in the past couple of days it's dried a bit more but as soon as it rains it'll be more damp again

Matt - just block paving outside. The only things I've noticed outside was that the guttering at the corner of the house where that wall leaks is either blocked or needs resealing somewhere as you end up with a constant trickle of water from there when it rains, and part of the wall outside needs repointing (in particular the bit of wall where the plastering was done).

[Edited on 04-12-2012 by Sam]
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

4th Dec 12 at 11:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Sam
It's mostly dry it's just the bottom bit, probably about 7 inches or so from the bottom of the plastering that hasn't completely dried.

As it's not rained here in the past couple of days it's dried a bit more but as soon as it rains it'll be more damp again

Matt - just block paving outside. The only things I've noticed outside was that the guttering at the corner of the house where that wall leaks is either blocked or needs resealing somewhere as you end up with a constant trickle of water from there when it rains, and part of the wall outside needs repointing (in particular the bit of wall where the plastering was done).

You have just said what the problem is then. Water is getting through the brick work.
Tom J
Organiser: South Wales
Premium Member

4th Dec 12 at 21:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

get some pics up of the inside wall and the outside wall
corsa_godfather

3rd Feb 13 at 21:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sounds like rising damp. You would have to strip the plaster back to bare brick and fit a mesh membrane sheet on the wall then skim over that to stop the damp coming through
Daniel_Corsa
Premium Member

3rd Feb 13 at 21:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Clear the gutter first, repoint the bricks, see if it drys before taking it all off.

April '06' Corsasport Feature Car | Aug '08' Total Vauxhall Feature Car | Spring '09' Fast Car Feature Car
Russ

5th Feb 13 at 17:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Sam

water bouncing up above the damp course?
Fad

8th Feb 13 at 07:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sam check the level of the paving is below the DPC. If the DPC is lower than the paving it will be bridging the damp through the wall.

[Edited on 08-02-2013 by Fad]

New Poll