corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Windows laptops?

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Windows laptops?
LeeM

User status: Offline
21st Nov 12 at 09:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My girlfriend needs a new laptop for Uni work, it needs to be able to run multiple word excel and Internet windows without lagging. obviously my go-to would be a MacBook but she's got a £500 budget.
Best I've found that's not a chunky looking pos is http://www.ebuyer.com/391901-samsung-535u3c-ultra-laptop-np535u3c-a01uk
Has anyone noticed anything better? Currys/pcworld had an asus ultra book last week or so for around £500 but can't seem to find it anymore.
nathy_87

21st Nov 12 at 09:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Samsung Laptop-Amzazon.

Acer Laptop-Amazon.

The Whole Bloody Range

Obviously just be aware, some will be refurbs. The first two I posted aren't.

[Edited on 21-11-2012 by nathy_87]
LeeM

21st Nov 12 at 09:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well yeah I know how to search for laptops and organise by price, I'm after finding out what's best for the money in people's experience.
The first 2 you posted are an 11" which is probably too small for anything and a 15" which isn't really portable enough to take to Uni.
nathy_87

21st Nov 12 at 09:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So wtf do you want then? Jeeze.

11" too small, 15" too big?

Ipad?
LeeM

21st Nov 12 at 10:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

13" like the one i posted, ipad wont handle multiple word and excel let alone a load of safari tabs
LeeM

21st Nov 12 at 10:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

another concern i have with that one i posted is performance of the AMD over an i3/5
Brett
Premium Member

21st Nov 12 at 10:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

An old shit laptop could meet the needs you've specified. I wouldn't be too concerned about being able to have a few docs and internet tabs open, hardly pushing the boundaries.
LeeM

21st Nov 12 at 10:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well it was on her dell thats just given up. my old lenovo struggled with it as well.
i want something that will do it without slowing down at all.
Brett
Premium Member

21st Nov 12 at 10:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd put that down to user error personally, but I would think that any modern laptop could more than cope with your requirements. I understand you're looking for the best for your money however, which I can't really advise anyway so I'll shut up.
LeeM

21st Nov 12 at 10:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers
any computer I've ever used word on has been slow as shit as soon as you open multiple documents (apart from my mac...)
LeeM

21st Nov 12 at 10:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

oh another thing to add, a good battery life would be good too, one thing ive definitely noticed is cheaper ones only last a couple of hours according to their spec lists
Sam
Premium Member

21st Nov 12 at 16:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Samsung or Toshiba laptops are pretty robust, you can usually get good deals on those brands from places like eBuyer (or me).

Dell are OK but are very 'plasticy' and things start breaking soon after the warranty has expired.

Avoid:

- cheap brands like Packard Bell, Medion
- anything AMD
- anything with a Celeron or Pentium CPU
AndyKent

21st Nov 12 at 17:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Missus got a Samsung laptop with AMD and whilst the build quality is good, the thing struggles playing youtube whilst browsing in chrome. Defo intel and not base spec. Other than that you'll be fine.

Hers was INCREDIBLY cheap though tbf.
Dom

21st Nov 12 at 17:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by LeeM
any computer I've ever used word on has been slow as shit as soon as you open multiple documents (apart from my mac...)

Doing something wrong or you've got a load of background cack loaded. My 4 year-old Dell handles Office 2010 without any issue; had 6-10 Word and Excel documents opened + Chrome and a load of tabs and it hasn't battered an eyelid.

Personally i would see WTF is wrong with the current one, chances are nothing. But if you want to splash cash then my choices would be Dell, followed by Samsung and Sony for price vs spec.

Edit - As mentioned, stick with Intel based laptops. And make sure you shop around and use cash back sites. If you know anyone that works at Tesco or other supermarkets that stock laptops then see if you can use their store card - i saved nearly £80 when i purchased my Dell.

[Edited on 21-11-2012 by Dom]
A2H GO

21st Nov 12 at 17:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My Dell's been indestructible, 4 years old now, would defo have another, glad we went for the 17 inch too, bigger the better.

EDIT: Actually the charger failed quite early on and even having bought 'genuine' replacements, none of them actually charge the battery which is annoying when you accidentally pull the cable out when you're in the middle of something

[Edited on 21-11-2012 by A2H GO]
John

21st Nov 12 at 18:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Sam
Samsung or Toshiba laptops are pretty robust, you can usually get good deals on those brands from places like eBuyer (or me).

Dell are OK but are very 'plasticy' and things start breaking soon after the warranty has expired.

This is rubbish Sam. Anything apart from the very cheapest isn't plasticky and the reliability of them is better than anything else I've seen. Even if they do break out of warranty it's really easy to get bits.

I look after hundreds btw and it's always stuff like Sony or acer that come back broken, with difficult to find parts. Sony are especially shit.
LeeM

21st Nov 12 at 18:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

her current one is a dell which is all cracked where the plastic meets, the battery has died so it only works on the charger, and now if it boots at all it crashes 5 or 6 times before its useable. its 3 or 4 years old so due an upgrade.
she really likes my macbook hence me looking at ultra books and not big chunky horrible plastic things.
having a hard time finding a decent looking intel iX one though
Sam
Premium Member

21st Nov 12 at 18:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
quote:
Originally posted by Sam

This is rubbish Sam. Anything apart from the very cheapest isn't plasticky and the reliability of them is better than anything else I've seen. Even if they do break out of warranty it's really easy to get bits.

I look after hundreds btw and it's always stuff like Sony or acer that come back broken, with difficult to find parts. Sony are especially shit.

Not rubbish, just my opinion which I am entitled to.
fazza

21st Nov 12 at 19:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

we find sony are shit and end up with loads of issues.

They do look the best though imo, do love the vaio laptops.

Tend to sell alot of ASUS in the shop I'm in
John

21st Nov 12 at 19:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You are entitled to it but it's wrong.

For that budget I would be going for (and do all the time) whatever refurb (one that's been sent back) you like the look of best, with 3 year NBD warranty.

I'd link you up but there are loads depending on what size/model you like best.

Forgot to add dell refurb if that wasn't clear

[Edited on 21-11-2012 by John]
Sam
Premium Member

21st Nov 12 at 21:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
You are entitled to it but it's wrong.

According to you.
John

21st Nov 12 at 22:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've worked for Dell so know exactly what breaks in real life, I've also been dealing with hundreds out in the field for years, through most of their range, plus use more than 1 type personally + deal with loads of other manufacturers to compare with.

One subject I do have a fair amount of experience in, not just one here and there.
Sam
Premium Member

21st Nov 12 at 23:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Who am I to have an opinion that differs to yours eh John. It's not like I have over 16+ years experience working in various IT roles in the past dealing with all sorts of brands or anything.
John

22nd Nov 12 at 08:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not enough to deal with any of dell's range that's built from metal and not plastic.
LeeM

22nd Nov 12 at 12:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So metal dells dont feel plasticy, glad we've established that but I'm not gettin a dell after the last one.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll