corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Subaru Impreza WRX STI *SOLD*

New Poll
  <<  5    6    7    8    9    10    11  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Subaru Impreza WRX STI *SOLD*
BarnshaW

User status: Offline
30th Jan 13 at 15:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You are telling me they fitted incorrect sized parts and it still managed to do 5k without failure? sounds to me it failed as a result of something he did, maybe wrong fuel or a poor map on the car?

good news Kyle, it might be false economy though, i still think even a semi decent set of coilovers will be better, the dampening alone would be worth it so you can stiffen it up for track and then have it softer on the road etc.
Kyle T
Premium Member

30th Jan 13 at 15:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by BarnshaW
good news Kyle, it might be false economy though, i still think even a semi decent set of coilovers will be better, the dampening alone would be worth it so you can stiffen it up for track and then have it softer on the road etc.

Aye I'm under no illusion I'll get coilover standard handling, but other than spending a few quid on bits and bobs - and then several hours of my time (I've got too much of that) - I don't think I've got much to lose.

If I "splash out" on Prodrive springs, I should be able to move them on again for the same value - they're pretty rare for the widetrack Scoobs.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
BarnshaW

30th Jan 13 at 16:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you could get a set of BC coilovers for like 580 quid i think, they are decent enough, i got them about 2 years ago and they have been superb, cant be that much more expensive then new springs

Kyle T
Premium Member

30th Jan 13 at 16:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've put a deposit down for the CDF group buy. £370 in total for front and rear drop links, and the two ARBs. (24mm rear, 22mm front).

CDF vs OEM.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Kyle T
Premium Member

30th Jan 13 at 16:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by BarnshaW
you could get a set of BC coilovers for like 580 quid i think, they are decent enough, i got them about 2 years ago and they have been superb, cant be that much more expensive then new springs

Aye cheapest I found was £680ish, but I noticed an old groupbuy on ScoobyNet which had them sub 600.

That said, I've found some Prodrive springs for my offset which include STi shocks for £200. I've asked if he'll sell springs seperately, but if not I may consider buying both - and refurbing his shocks as a "practice", and I can then refurb my own when they come off the car and sell them on... or something.

Will see what he says!

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Kyle T
Premium Member

30th Jan 13 at 22:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've decided to take the Prodrive springs/shocks for £200.

I'll refurb the shocks he sends me (regardless of whether they clunk or not) before ever touching my car to see how the process is, and if I think I've done a job - I'll swap them over for the ones on my car. I'll then refurb my shocks and sell them on... hopefully.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
3CorsaMeal

30th Jan 13 at 22:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Always the best way to do things. I ended up with two of most bits when doing mine.
Kyle T
Premium Member

31st Jan 13 at 08:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Aye, it gives me time to get to grips with the refurb properly and take my time on it.

I may even fit a nipple on the fronts too, which aren't known for knocking like the rears (under constant load, I guess) but it can't hurt...

I desperately need to move house though, which we're hoping to do this summer. Don't have a garage or a flat driveway at the minute so working on the car and storing spare sets of suspension is a bit difficult

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Kyle T
Premium Member

31st Jan 13 at 19:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Enough talk of rusty old springs, my new aero has arrived

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Christopher

31st Jan 13 at 19:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cats just like, "what the fuck is that doing on my sofa"

Should look good bud
Kyle T
Premium Member

31st Jan 13 at 19:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Haha she loves change, she's been charging around for the last half hour with a bit of cardboard from the packaging in her mouth.

Hoping for some reasonable weather on saturday/sunday to get on my backside and get it fitted. Nice cheapish little mod which gives the car a bit more "presence" from the front.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Simon_16v

31st Jan 13 at 19:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Shouldn't be too bad to fit . When I get my new car around summer time we'll have to get some photo's of them
Kyle T
Premium Member

31st Jan 13 at 19:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sounds good Can't wait for summer - on the few occasions the sun has come out since me buying this car, the paintwork looks amazing.... just looks dull when the clouds are out

You after a Corsa VXR aye? There's been a "ring" one at Walkers in Selby which is used as a demo car for sale for ages, white one. He tried to get me to swap my CTR for it when we were buying my missus' Corsa... it looks pretty nice though, love the interior in it.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Simon_16v

31st Jan 13 at 20:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I went out in a 'ring model in Doncaster last week and they tried selling it to me but there is a premium on them over the normal VXR.

I haven't bought one yet but I'm already looking into the Remus exhaust which is Vaux approved
Kyle T
Premium Member

1st Feb 13 at 12:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Simon_16v
I went out in a 'ring model in Doncaster last week and they tried selling it to me but there is a premium on them over the normal VXR.

I haven't bought one yet but I'm already looking into the Remus exhaust which is Vaux approved

Aye I remember it being expensive considering it had a few thousand miles on it. Still, might go for a wander down to see the salesman who sold us the other corsa and let him think I've still got the CTR and I'm interested in a trade just so I can go for a joyride spending somebody elses petrol for a change

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Simon_16v

1st Feb 13 at 13:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm tempted to go by the Vauxhall garage in Castleford tomorrow to see how the Arden Blue ones look. So torn by choice on the colour at the moment
Kyle T
Premium Member

3rd Feb 13 at 13:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I fitted the splitter yesterday, not the 10min job I was expecting but no drama. Nice early start, all ready to go:

The splitter is REALLY bendy, you can literally bend it over double on itself which apparently makes it resilient to speedbumps and stuff like that. It made it a bit awkward for a one man job though as it really needed pinning into shape before starting to bolt it on.

The splitter came with some of these clips

They weren't quite long enough to give me confident of holding the splitter to the bumper, so i tried to re-use the bolts which are already in the holes which you're supposed to use. The bolts weren't long enough either and I could only get maybe one or two threads to bite... so again I wasn't confident of it holding.

With all my tools out, a splitter and loads of nuts/bolts lying around my phone then rang which required my attention for several hours (oncall with work...)

A few people opt to reinforce with no-nails/tigerseal/etc but I want this to be a removable part so I went to Motosave for some nuts and bolts once I finally finished with work.

Ended up with this little lot for less than £4

This made the job so much easier, I could loosely bolt on each corner and then go around each set of holes slowly nipping it into place and hence holding it's shape.

I did some high spee...eh speed limit runs last night to check it was nice and secure, but I didn't want to photograph the car in the state it was in yesterday.

Gave it a quick wash this morning to take the finished shots:

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
daymoon
Premium Member

3rd Feb 13 at 14:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You seem to love washing cars in this weather. Want to do mine?

Splitter looks well!

Did you go to Wilko Motosave?
BeetleGav

3rd Feb 13 at 14:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Actually like that, Wasnt sure I would but it suits well
Kyle T
Premium Member

3rd Feb 13 at 14:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by daymoon

Splitter looks well!

It's not so much the weather, I just hate dirty cars!

Wilko's aye, the one on the corner. I was in Halfords later on and the exact same size nuts/bolts came in at about a tenner - so either mine will snap within days, or Halfords really are a rip off

Cheers Gav

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
daymoon
Premium Member

3rd Feb 13 at 15:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kyle T
quote:
Originally posted by daymoon

Splitter looks well!

It's not so much the weather, I just hate dirty cars!

Wilko's aye, the one on the corner. I was in Halfords later on and the exact same size nuts/bolts came in at about a tenner - so either mine will snap within days, or Halfords really are a rip off

Cheers Gav

The only reason I go to Wilko for tools and other supplies. Their "mechanics" are a bunch of cowboys! AFAIK they employ one proper mechanic and rest are apprentices!

Do you know about a place in Kippax? ASK (Auto store Kippax) that is awesome for tools, fixings and parts etc)
Kyle T
Premium Member

3rd Feb 13 at 15:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nah I wasn't aware of the Kippax place. My missus' parents are from Garforth so we're up that way fairly often, will make a note to pop in.

I need a trolley jack, four axel stands and a torque wrench ready for my summer plans!

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
daymoon
Premium Member

3rd Feb 13 at 15:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kyle T
Nah I wasn't aware of the Kippax place. My missus' parents are from Garforth so we're up that way fairly often, will make a note to pop in.

I need a trolley jack, four axel stands and a torque wrench ready for my summer plans!

it's like a tardis! Looks fairly small on the outside, but quite big on the inside. Two floors. Car cleaning gear, tools, Oils, servicing items, fillers, sand paper etc etc. I can spend hours in there!
M Sutton

3rd Feb 13 at 16:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Like the splitter! Whole car is gorgeous mate
Ben G

3rd Feb 13 at 16:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

that looks fantastic. really suits the styling of the car and makes the front end look complete

<<  5    6    7    8    9    10    11  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Subaru Impreza WRX STI *SOLD* 24 database queries in 0.0174010 seconds