corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Subaru Impreza WRX STI *SOLD*

New Poll
  <<  7    8    9    10    11    12    13  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Subaru Impreza WRX STI *SOLD*
Kyle T
Premium Member

User status: Offline
19th Feb 13 at 20:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Finally got the main component for my suspension project today... the suspension!

All looks to be present and accounted for, bit mucky so my first job for tomorrow night will be to hose it all down and get it in a fit state for handling in the house - I'm not blessed with a workshop yet!

One of the rears:

I think I'll start off refurbing the rears as they're the ones which clunk. If it all goes smoothly and I don't get arse on with the rears, I'll do the fronts too just for "future proofing".

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Kyle T
Premium Member

20th Feb 13 at 19:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A few people who do this "refurb" comment on difficulty undoing the tophat nut which allows you to slide the spring away from the damper.

Some get lucky and it just breaks loose and comes off, and it turns out I'm not one of these people

For us unlucky folk the shock insert simply spins with the bolt.

By the sounds of it I've got two choices:

a) Twat it with a windy gun and it'll probably come loose

b) Get a 17mm swan neck spanner, stick an allen key in the slot to hold the insert still - then give it some elbow grease.

I've soaked both shocks in WD40 so I'll go grab a swan neck 17mm spanner on the way home tomorrow night. Hopefully that'll crack it, but if anyone has any suggestions for tackling this - I'm all ears.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
BeetleGav

20th Feb 13 at 20:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thats a better design than the corsa rear shocks! utter bastards!, id go for a swan neck personally
Jon_C
Premium Member

20th Feb 13 at 20:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can't you pop into a garage and ask them
Nicely to undo them with an impact gun. Don't forget to put some spring compressors on too
Kyle T
Premium Member

20th Feb 13 at 20:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good call on the garage, if I've not got it off by saturday I'll go round to the tyre place round the corner see if they can buzz it off for me for the price of a bacon sarny or something

Aye I've got compressors on, didn't fancy like a face full of suspension if it suddenly popped off

The guide I read says the following:

quote:
this is the one you have to insert a #6 metric allen wrench in the end of the rod to keep it from turning while you remove the 17mm nut with something like a socket with a couple of wrench lands ground into the sides. There are fancy tools for this but you don't need them

I'm curious as to what the "fancy tools" are.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
BeetleGav

20th Feb 13 at 20:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my guess is a hammer
Simon_16v

20th Feb 13 at 20:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.clubgti.com/showthread.php?148515-DIY-tool-for-mk2-golf-front-suspension-top-monts&s=0210ea9ed0d86ae25a68edd83a7a7f3d

Top 2 pics, seems a good method if you have a spare socket kicking about
Kyle T
Premium Member

20th Feb 13 at 20:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Grinding away my 17mm deep socket is a good idea... but then I'd need a grinder, so I think buying a swan neck will probably make more sense

I did try holding my socket with molegrips and threading an allen key through the top but the socket just spins in the grips.... maybe something rubbery to wrap round the socket will do the trick.

I'll have a root about!

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Simon_16v

20th Feb 13 at 20:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Or putting the mole grips on tighter
Kyle T
Premium Member

20th Feb 13 at 21:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm trying, honest. I need some hired muscle for this

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
dan-sport

20th Feb 13 at 22:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd just put the mole grips in between the spring on the shock, put shock on floor then use a socket and ratchet on the top nut stand on shock with one foot an stamp on ratchet with other will crack the nut off, but thats a last resort tactic.
Kyle T
Premium Member

21st Feb 13 at 09:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers Dan, I actually watched a YouTube video last night of a US guy changing springs on a Legacy and he did exactly what you said, with a towel wrapped around the damper insert to protect it.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
3CorsaMeal

21st Feb 13 at 09:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mine is the same, i just use a deep drop ring spanner and i have a set of allen keys that fit into a rachet handle.

The other option is a socket with flats on the top that the mole grips bite onto
Kyle T
Premium Member

21st Feb 13 at 09:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by 3CorsaMeal
Mine is the same, i just use a deep drop ring spanner and i have a set of allen keys that fit into a rachet handle.

The other option is a socket with flats on the top that the mole grips bite onto

Aye, it seems that alot of suspension struts hang together in the same way. I read through an Audi guide last night which was similar and they had an extended socket with a cut out in the side for an allen key to slide in... clever stuff.

It's little jobs like this which make my tool collection seem so inadequate

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Ben G

21st Feb 13 at 10:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

allen key and swan neck spanner was what was used to get mine off.

the strut was gripped in a vice.
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

21st Feb 13 at 10:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I use a impact gun that runs off the mains makes all jobs on the car so much easier
Kyle T
Premium Member

21st Feb 13 at 10:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VrsTurbo
I use a impact gun that runs off the mains makes all jobs on the car so much easier

Yep I think I'll definitely pick one up sometime soon. The 19mm bolts holding the struts to my hub are notoriously difficult so will probably need one for those too.

I take it the leccy ones are as capable as air ones? Battery ones to be avoided I'd imagine?

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Ben G

21st Feb 13 at 10:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sometimes good old air guns don't work. you'd be amazed how difficult it can be to remove a flywheel bolt after the locktite has gone off.
Steve
Premium Member

21st Feb 13 at 11:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

iv got a leccy one is really good actually considering
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

21st Feb 13 at 11:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kyle T
quote:
Originally posted by VrsTurbo

Yep I think I'll definitely pick one up sometime soon. The 19mm bolts holding the struts to my hub are notoriously difficult so will probably need one for those too.

I take it the leccy ones are as capable as air ones? Battery ones to be avoided I'd imagine?

Well saying all that i was at a garage last night and they had some snap on battery powered ones and wow they were immense. But i use a £60 machine mart one and its never come across a bolt that it cant undo.
Kyle T
Premium Member

21st Feb 13 at 12:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/clarke-cew1000-electric-impact-wrench

Seems like a reasonable buy, it's got some good reviews.

I need a trolley jack and some stands too - so looks like a nice big order coming up

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
3CorsaMeal

21st Feb 13 at 12:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i got a lovely trolley jack & stands from this place, 10 year warranty too

http://www.sgs-engineering.com/hydraulic-jacks
Kyle T
Premium Member

21st Feb 13 at 12:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They seem cheap... £17 plus VAT for a 2tonne jack.

I shall have a proper browse in a bit, cheers 3CM.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
3CorsaMeal

21st Feb 13 at 12:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thats basically the same as the halfords one, i took my halfords one apart after it broke.

i got this
http://www.sgs-engineering.com/hydraulic-jacks/trolley-jacks/tja125-aluminium-trolley-jack

Kyle T
Premium Member

21st Feb 13 at 18:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm getting ever so slightly agitated now. Got a 17mm out of the cabinet at Halfords and straight away could see it was too chunky to fit into the tophat to reach the nut. The chap who was assisting me told me to try it anyway and bring it back if it didn't work.

Of course, it's miles off.

I've just spent 10mins outside filing the side of my 17mm deep socket down like a madman to try and give it a shape which the molegrips can purchase. It still won't do though, that bolt is properly on there... and really starting to wind me up!

I've got tomorrow off work so I'm going to take the strut down to the tyre place round the corner to see if they'll try buzzing it off for me.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi

<<  7    8    9    10    11    12    13  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Subaru Impreza WRX STI *SOLD* 24 database queries in 0.0263250 seconds