corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Nexus 4

New Poll
  <<  3    4    5    6    7    8    9  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Nexus 4
Dom

User status: Offline
11th Jan 13 at 20:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by A2H GO
quote:
Originally posted by noshua
Obviously because they're trying to push their cloud services. Google Play for music is awesome, 20,000 songs, free to stream from your phone, web browser, etc.

Tried it, uploaded a load of songs, got the app, started to stream muisc and it just constantly buffered and skiped. Moved back to the standard music player

plus in the 2 minutes I tried it it used 200mb of data

Can't say i've had issues here, although you need to have a reasonably solid connection (WiFi or 3G). As for the data usage, you sure you haven't got "make available offline" checked? As that will attempt to download/cache the library. Also worth making sure you have "only download music for offline availability via wifi" checked and if need be, you can also disable/limit background data for the Google Music app.
I have read a few posts on XDA of a handful of users noticing high data usage; most of them corrected it with doing a reset of the app.
A2H GO

11th Jan 13 at 20:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'll try those things, trouble is I mostly listen to music both on the way and way back from work on the train and the connection tends to be intermittent and it doesn't buffer enough in the good areas to cover the bits where the connection drops out.
Daveskater
Premium Member

11th Jan 13 at 23:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by LeeM
yeah but android fanboys slate iPhones for not having SD card slots. now they bum this phone and say its got cloud services to make up for it. im just trying to remember what other phone has cloud services...
While not having an SD card slot isn't ideal for me, the price difference between the memory sizes is nowhere near what Apple charge, and Google/LG have done this to keep costs down so the handset is a good price. Seeing as the Nexus 4 is nearly half the price of an iPhone 5, I think I can forgive them for not putting a memory card slot in.

Numberwang!

Originally posted by AlunJ
I like you Dave, you are a man of men

Originally Whatapp'd by Neo
Dave's maybe capable of a drive-by cuddle

Look at my pictures
LeeM

12th Jan 13 at 00:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Daveskater
quote:
yeah but android fanboys slate iPhones for not having SD card slots. now they bum this phone and say its got cloud services to make up for it. im just trying to remember what other phone has cloud services...
While not having an SD card slot isn't ideal for me, the price difference between the memory sizes is nowhere near what Apple charge, and Google/LG have done this to keep costs down so the handset is a good price. Seeing as the Nexus 4 is nearly half the price of an iPhone 5, I think I can forgive them for not putting a memory card slot in.

14% price increase for 8gb extra in the nexus, only 13% increase for an extra for 8gb in iPhone
Russ

12th Jan 13 at 08:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

when are they expected back in stock
Dom

12th Jan 13 at 10:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Daveskater
quote:

14% price increase for 8gb extra in the nexus, only 13% increase for an extra for 8gb in iPhone

How are you getting the iPhone 5 figure? Because last time i checked there wasn't an 8GB model to compare

Plus if you're talking increase percentages then it's 16% between the Nexus models (14% would be the decrease). And either way you look at it, there's nearly a 90% increase between the nexus and iphone 5 16GB models
Daveskater
Premium Member

12th Jan 13 at 20:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Figure twisting at its finest from the troll

Numberwang!

Originally posted by AlunJ
I like you Dave, you are a man of men

Originally Whatapp'd by Neo
Dave's maybe capable of a drive-by cuddle

Look at my pictures
LeeM

12th Jan 13 at 21:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Numbers are numbers
Trolling aside, The fact remains that the lack of sd slot has been peddled around as one of the iPhones weakest points. Doesn't seem to be an issue on a phone without an apple badge on
Dom

12th Jan 13 at 23:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Numbers are numbers
Trolling aside, The fact remains that the lack of sd slot has been peddled around as one of the iPhones weakest points. Doesn't seem to be an issue on a phone without an apple badge on

If it was the same price as the iphone 5 then users and reviews would be picking holes with it left, right and centre. Fact is it's not, it's a shite load cheaper than a iphone 5 hence why people are willing to overlook little facts like the lack of an storage expansion slot.

Either way, it's time to stop trolling.
John

12th Jan 13 at 23:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It is a weak point for people who need the extra storage.

For everyone else, getting 16gb on a top of the range phone, that costs less than £300, and half that of an equivalent iPhone, is a pretty fair compromise.
dannymccann

13th Jan 13 at 09:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

At the risk of sounding like Bill Gates here, I've no idea how I would fill 16gb anyway? At the moment on my boggo Desire with it's pitiful 150mb of app storage space I just about get by and I have an 8gb SD card which is 25% full. Any pictures I take auto upload to Dropbox so no need to really carry them around with me, and it's not like app games are absolutely huge. Maybe if you stick several Blu-Ray quality movies on there you might get close to it, but who has time (or the inclination?) to watch that many films on such a small screen?

Or am I missing the point
JonnyJ

13th Jan 13 at 11:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I didnt even fill 2gb on my desire hd. I wont even come close to filling 16gb on this, 8 would have been more than enough
A2H GO

13th Jan 13 at 13:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No LTE either which although not a big issue now might be worth thinking about in 12 months time when it's mainstream and you've still got 12 months left on your contract.
Cavey

13th Jan 13 at 13:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We've got lte in derby, at the contract prices their offering its not worth it for me anyway.

And will 4g be available to all networks in 12 months? Aren't ee exclusive on it currently?
JonnyJ

13th Jan 13 at 14:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
No LTE either which although not a big issue now might be worth thinking about in 12 months time when it's mainstream and you've still got 12 months left on your contract.

Again wont bother me, what ive got is more than fast enough, streams live sport perfectly fine. If i downloaded films on my phone then maybe id see your point but, i dont.
A2H GO

13th Jan 13 at 15:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You don't have to justify it, it's just something worth thinking about.

The majority of networks will be offering LTE by early summer and as a result of the competition the prices will come down.

Two years is a long time.
JonnyJ

13th Jan 13 at 15:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you're a phone geek maybe, I could've kept my desire HD for another year if I had to, just needed a new battery
noshua

13th Jan 13 at 16:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by noshua
Obviously because they're trying to push their cloud services. Google Play for music is awesome, 20,000 songs, free to stream from your phone, web browser, etc.

Tried it, uploaded a load of songs, got the app, started to stream muisc and it just constantly buffered and skiped. Moved back to the standard music player

plus in the 2 minutes I tried it it used 200mb of data

The networks aren't ready for cloud services.

I've only got a Nexus 7 tab so haven't bothered to check with 3G but it's just like streaming from Spotify which has been on mobiles for over a year now. I stream constantly from it at home to save turning the laptop on, not had a problem since I bought it at Christmas.

It streams at 320kbps (higher than Amazon and Apple's) which should be more than manageable in any network whilst on the move. On the train is completely different as signals (even voice ) go off all the time. As said, just mark them for download and they'll be stored on your phone anyway!

Lack of storage is annoying if you want a handful of decent games and plenty of music. 4G isn't an issue as long as you don't sign up for 24 months as no doubt their next version will be out I'm around a year with it. Which then again only becomes useful over here if networks aren't charging a bomb for it and it is actually faster...

[Edited on 13-01-2013 by noshua]
Cavey

16th Jan 13 at 17:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Arse, the 2 places I want to buy from are both out of stock

("free" gifts on each, can't afford a tab outright so happy to contract it, or possibly beats headphones as mine were taken from my car over christmas)

[Edited on 16-01-2013 by Cavey]
fir3vip3r

21st Jan 13 at 18:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's ridiculous that still pretty much all of the nexus stuff is out of stock. On the play store they've only got two 7 sizes in stock. Youd think they'd want peoples money!
A2H GO

21st Jan 13 at 19:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I guess it's different when you loose money on each device sold.
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

21st Jan 13 at 20:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

iphones are shit and s3's are for faggots
fir3vip3r

21st Jan 13 at 20:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ive got an S2, i think im ok by that logic
PhilC

21st Jan 13 at 20:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got my despatch notice earlier today. 16GB N4
oceansoul

21st Jan 13 at 21:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by PhilC
Got my despatch notice earlier today. 16GB N4

Wheres that from? Play store still has none in stock.

<<  3    4    5    6    7    8    9  >>

New Poll