corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Nexus 4

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4    5  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Nexus 4
Rich H

User status: Offline
2nd Nov 12 at 19:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ah awesome cheers, looks like I'll be asking T-Mobile to downgrade me to a sim only contract and send me out a micro sim in 2 weeks time then!
A2H GO

19th Nov 12 at 12:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Apparently the Nexus 4 won't charge on a Nokia wireless charging mat even though they both use the Qi 'standard'
Balling
Premium Member

19th Nov 12 at 12:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Does that mean that making a universal Qi charger isn't possible? If that's the case, then that's beyond a fail.

ljames555

19th Nov 12 at 12:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Samsung note 2 is in a different league.

I've come from a jailbroken iphone 4.
A2H GO

19th Nov 12 at 12:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Balling
Does that mean that making a universal Qi charger isn't possible? If that's the case, then that's beyond a fail.

Technically it should work, engadget managed to get it to work, The Verge tried a few units, none worked. Seems a bit hit and miss.
Dom

19th Nov 12 at 12:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

No, the standard should allow for universal charging.

The problem with the Verge 'review' is that they just state that it doesn't work with the Nokia charger. They don't bother to investigate further, state the obvious that the Nokia charger was designed purely to work with their Lumia's and nothing else (i suspect it's the design of the Nokia charger which prevents the coil on the N4 establishing a connection) or try a standard Qi mat (which would be the obvious test).

Again, Ash has read something and taken it at face value rather than actually putting any thought into it.

[Edited on 19-11-2012 by Dom]
A2H GO

19th Nov 12 at 13:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What more is there to think about? They put the phone on the mat and it didn't work.

If people are designing mats to be handset specific it completely undermines even using a standard.
Balling
Premium Member

19th Nov 12 at 13:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by A2H GO
If people are designing mats to be handset specific it completely undermines even using a standard.
What? That's not true. The point of the standard isn't to use a Nokia charger with your LG phone, the point is for both phones to use the same third party charger.

Dom

19th Nov 12 at 13:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

True, to some extent, and if this was simply a design issue then Qi need to apply restrictions to their standard so manufacturers create chargers that allow cross-device compatibility. If this was a technical issue then obviously that's a serious headache.
But you've got to remember, inductive charging is still it's infancy and standards will continue to be improved upon.

Either way, that Verge just states the N4 doesn't work with the Lumia charger.....great! Still doesn't prove that the standard or inductive charging is shite and/or pointless though

[Edited on 19-11-2012 by Dom]
Dom

19th Nov 12 at 13:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
What? That's not true. The point of the standard isn't to use a Nokia charger with your LG phone, the point is for both phones to use the same third party charger.

Depends what the WPC want from the Qi standard. As you say they could go the route that you mentioned or have cross-compatibility between all accessories and devices eg: similar to usb chargers at the moment.
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

22nd Nov 12 at 15:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This or the S3
Dom

22nd Nov 12 at 15:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This, if you can get one.
willay
Premium Member

22nd Nov 12 at 15:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Whats the best way to get one? Google website says sold out.

The deal I'm being offered by o2 is unlimited text/calls and 1gb data on a 24m contract.

I can get the nexus for £0 down and £35 a month or get the S3 for £30 down and £35 a month.
Dom

22nd Nov 12 at 16:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What N4 model do you get for the £35 month deal?
If it's the 16GB then the deal is alright, makes the contract around £22/23 a month when you take the cost of the phone off.

If you did go sim-free, have to wait until stock or grab one off eBay at an inflated price, then Virgin have some decent sim-only deals (£12 for 1200mins, unlimited texts, 1GB data with you can tether on) or the obvious GiffGaff if you're wanting unlimited data (no real FUP but you get a 'chill out' emails around the 25/30GB mark).
willay
Premium Member

22nd Nov 12 at 17:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I didn't ask if I'm completely honest! I didn't realise it came in different sizes.
Dom

22nd Nov 12 at 22:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by willay
I didn't ask if I'm completely honest! I didn't realise it came in different sizes.

Yeah 8 or 16GB, no SD expansion.
noshua

22nd Nov 12 at 23:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

O2 charging S3/iPhone prices

So much cheaper to buy it on SIM only and a SIM contract.
Munchie

22nd Nov 12 at 23:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Surely that wireless thing can run on batteries and charge your phone without it being plugged in?
A2H GO

22nd Nov 12 at 23:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Then you might as well use this save carrying a big orb round with you...

http://uk.cellphoneshop.net/microusbackup.html?adtype=pla&cagpspn=pla&gclid=CIvckajd47MCFU3HtAod2kUAbQ
dannymccann

23rd Nov 12 at 09:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd also never heard of this phone until I saw this thread, they aren't doing a particularly good job at mass marketing (imo anyway?!)

Although, if it is sold out everywhere maybe they are doing something right and I am to blame!

I'm also stuck now, do I go for the S3 or N4 16gb I only use my phone for browsing and texting, I hardly make calls so I get away with a £7/ month contract, so im thinking because of initial purchase price the N4 is probably going to trump it.

Can I buy a phone from America in $ andit still work here or do we not share the same connections?
A2H GO

23rd Nov 12 at 11:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Car phone warehouse have it in stock however they've marked it up over £100 sim free.

Apparently you can enable the LTE radio by dialing *#*#4636#*#*".
willay
Premium Member

23rd Nov 12 at 17:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ok you bunch of twats, gone with the 16gb model, unlimited calls and text, 1gb data for £31 a month.
JonnyJ

23rd Nov 12 at 17:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Contract is up in Jan, think I'll get one of these.
A2H GO

23rd Nov 12 at 17:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Won't be far of the SGS4 by then.
Dom

23rd Nov 12 at 17:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by willay
Ok you bunch of twats, gone with the 16gb model, unlimited calls and text, 1gb data for £31 a month.

Lovely!

<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>

New Poll