corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Can I have a large company in my domain name?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Can I have a large company in my domain name?
Whittie

User status: Offline
22nd Oct 12 at 10:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can I have a large company in my domain name, without getting into trouble?

Wouldn't be making money off the back of the name (Facebook) in any way possible, i've bought yourfacebookphotos domain and i'm creating a website where the user can pick their facebook photo album and it will send me a link for me to make a collage out of basically.

The main site and business name won't have facebook in the name in any way possible, just have the option to link a photo album instead of uploading them one by one basically.

Aim of the site is to just make a collage to print out on Accrylic / Canvas / Poster / Wooden frame etc etc.

Don't want to use it if it will cause hassle, i'm assuming it's all okay but want to double check before going ahead with it, i've had a google and not found much about facebook in particular, just that they bought all the domains off people like ihatefacebook.com etc etc. I can't see them giving a shit as it won't be turning over bugger all.

Thanks
Brett
Premium Member

22nd Oct 12 at 10:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Don't know exactly, but I owned Nokiax.com years ago and nokia got the solicitors onto me and I had to hand it over.
Tom G

22nd Oct 12 at 11:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Didnt someone on here do similar? am i right in thinking jimlongusername.... friend?
Dom

22nd Oct 12 at 11:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have a look here - https://www.facebook.com/brandpermissions/faq.php

Especially -
quote:
No. Use of the Facebook trademark or something confusingly similar in your company name or domain name, even in connection with goods/services that are arguably unrelated to those offered by Facebook, can both create consumer confusion as well as dilute the distinctiveness of the Facebook brand and weaken Facebook’s trademark rights. It is also a violation of our Statement of Rights and Responsibilities.

From what i understand however, it's completely at the discretion of the trademark holder. I would suspect that they'll contact you eventually and ask to you to either hand over the domain or remove the site.

[Edited on 22-10-2012 by Dom]
Whittie

22nd Oct 12 at 11:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks Dom.

Going to drop them a line and see if they respond either way, at least its done then.
Sam
Premium Member

22nd Oct 12 at 18:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Technically they can ask/make you hand the domain over to them as it'll be a registered trademark.

I got Facebook to remove a username someone had as my other half's company name is also a registered trademark and they complied pretty quickly, which meant I could now use the name for their Facebook page.
ed

22nd Oct 12 at 19:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Maybe I should register a company in the name of the twitter account I want cool twitter account name and I can get a Costco card - winning
Whittie

23rd Oct 12 at 08:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
Maybe I should register a company in the name of the twitter account I want cool twitter account name and I can get a Costco card - winning

Little bit different with Twitter, i've just physically had to pay £200 to get a name trademarked (welll £100, and £100 upon completion) in order to get the name. I'll know within 2 weeks and means I can take their twitter username. It's needed so a small price to pay, plus as a bonus the name will be trademarked
Brett
Premium Member

23rd Oct 12 at 08:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Surely you can't register 'after' someone already has it then take it away? BS that.
Whittie

23rd Oct 12 at 08:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Brett
Surely you can't register 'after' someone already has it then take it away? BS that.

One im after is an unused name, never tweeted, 1 follower and following nobody.

I'm assuming it would be a different story if it had 50k tweets and 100k followers etc.
Jamie Walby

23rd Oct 12 at 09:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A friend and I had a similar idea last year but not as a business as such, well not to begin with.

Was more along the lines of making books with peoples facebook quotes, statuses and photos in it. It came about because I am so hilariously entertaining on Facebook that we were going to turn my profile into a book of sorts
Whittie

23rd Oct 12 at 09:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Again, it's not using Facebook to make money, it's advertising it if anything. I'd like to see how it would stand up.

Tom G

23rd Oct 12 at 11:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jamie Walby

Was more along the lines of making books with peoples facebook quotes, statuses and photos in it. It came about because I am so hilariously entertaining on Facebook that we were going to turn my profile into a book of sorts

Are you for real?
Jamie Walby

23rd Oct 12 at 11:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I am for real.

New Poll