corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Running two AD enviroments (domains) in one logical network

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Running two AD enviroments (domains) in one logical network
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

User status: Offline
18th Jul 06 at 08:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hello,

Not hot on Active Directory, can anyone tell me what issues i may run into if I was to run two AD enviroments on the same subnet? (192.168.0.0/24 for example) ?

Cheers,

Will
TNM

18th Jul 06 at 10:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

erm you can have multiple GC's on the one domain.
Replication takes a while some times.
Why do you want to run it under the same subnet?
willay
Premium Member

18th Jul 06 at 11:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

two different companies, currently one company does AD and the other does peer to peer. The 'other' company wants to now go to a fully AD network but on the same logical network.
TNM

18th Jul 06 at 12:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

should be possible

We have about 20 odd GC's in our EU domain. We are also now running on the same subnet a different domain for part of the company which has been sold off.

Cybermonkey

18th Jul 06 at 12:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

shouldnt be a problem willay, AD can distinguish between 2 physical networks sharing the same information. only problem i can see is IP designation for the workstations, sounds like a lot of work ahead thats for sure.
willay
Premium Member

18th Jul 06 at 12:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

CM, theres only 1 physical network and 1 logical network. Its two AD enviroments sharing that spare.
Cybermonkey

18th Jul 06 at 12:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

haha i re-read your question

well in response to that, i dont know TBH

i would say that its no problem using same subnet, AD's will simply fall into the same hot bath of tangled CAT5 cabling. AD users and computers on the physical for example will share common functionality with its post-logical network.

im not sure
Steve
Premium Member

18th Jul 06 at 13:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

why not create one active directory structure with different OU's? or do they need different domain names?
TNM

18th Jul 06 at 14:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

differnt OU's would be one way of doing it.

But i think willay pop wants them on two seperate servers because one already has it set up.
willay
Premium Member

18th Jul 06 at 16:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
why not create one active directory structure with different OU's? or do they need different domain names?

Two different companies, we'd rather not be dependant on the other companies infrastructure.
willay
Premium Member

18th Jul 06 at 16:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by TNM
differnt OU's would be one way of doing it.

But i think willay pop wants them on two seperate servers because one already has it set up.

The other company already has its own servers and shite, we are moving to a AD setup but dont want to be part of their equipment for various reasons.

I've written and presented a proposal to move over to AD already, I just want to make sure that i dont run into any issues when we have all of our stuff on the same subnet they run their ad on.

New Poll