corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Part worn tyres...

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Part worn tyres...
gez bay

User status: Offline
13th Sep 12 at 12:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just wondering if anyone on here use them?

Browsing through eBay looking at new tyres and theres loads of second hand ones with bids on.

It's something I'd never consider myself given its the only thing between you and the road, and just not knowing where those tyres have been,
In a crash etc.

So was just wondering who does on here as judging by eBay, it's quite popular
Tomnova16
Premium Member

13th Sep 12 at 12:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

bought them off ebay before, had some on my M3 as it needed 4 new ones for an mot when i was selling it.
no problems

http://www.lemass.co.uk/ for all your automotive/bodyshop needs
Located in Chalfont st Peter
Corsa_Sport21

13th Sep 12 at 12:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I do.

Few of my local tyre places sell part worns, for a fraction of the price of brand new. Normally still get tyres with around 5-6mm of tread on them.

Its mostly down to people who will insist on changing the 2 tyres on 1 axle, instead of just 1 thats maybe had a puncture etc.

Ive never had any problems, but i do tend to buy them from tyre fitting places. Have also bought them from private sellers on gumtree without any problems. Most of the time its easy enough to spot unrepairable punctures or wear on the inside of the tyre due to running them low on air etc.
Corsa_Sport21

13th Sep 12 at 12:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

1 of the places i go to actually told me they sell more part worns than they do brand new. They order them in, in bulk, and make a killing on them.

They never know what brands they are going to get though. Just order the most common sizes and take what they get. Average joe isn't too bothered about brands.

1 of the local major scrap yards have a bit up the back of the yard, purely set out for tyres. Mostly polish guys working in it, with umpteen sheds full of tyres. Nightmare trying to get good sizes though as the middle men who sell them to the tyres places go in 1st thing on a monday morning and buy all the common sizes. 17s, 18s, 19s are only about £20 each.
pow
Premium Member

13th Sep 12 at 12:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Used to put part worns on the Ibiza, not on the Alfa though. USed to get a pair of 5-6mm bridgestones for £55 fitted in 17" Never had any problems

[Edited on 13-09-2012 by pow]
Ben G

13th Sep 12 at 13:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i've bought part worns before for the corsa and puma. didn't have any problems.

didn't do it for any other car as i preferred having nice new tyres on them.
Mertin

13th Sep 12 at 13:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No problems with part worns, after a year or maybe even a few month the nice shiny new tyres you paid for are then part worns and you would happily run them for the rest of the tyres life wouldnt you?
RichR
Premium Member

13th Sep 12 at 13:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wrecked a tyre when I was away on business, found a dodgy back street tyre garage in the docks where I was working; as the Pirellis were a few thousand miles old but nowhere near replacing, I didn't want to have to replace both fronts as there was nothing wrong with the other tyre.

He gave me a choice of a part worn pirelli to match but it had significantly less tread than my other good tyre or a brand new 'German' tyre; either was £35. I went with the new tyre solely as for £35, if it only lasted half as long as the good pirelli I had left, it would still outlast it. How wrong was I, it lasted the 200mile trip home and that was it

moral of the story, I'd rather buy a part worn branded tyre than a similar priced cheap new tyre
gez bay

13th Sep 12 at 13:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes, of course you'd happily use them until they're right down, but it's not that, it's not knowing where the tyre has been. Like a crash etc.

That's just me though
Dave

13th Sep 12 at 14:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's probably safe to say quite a few of them have been in a crash, that's how they aren't attached to the original car anymore.

I bought some for my van last time, £60 for 4 15" inc fitting! Nearly 12 months later there is still plenty of tread left.
tom_simes
Show Staff
Organiser: South Wales
Premium Member

13th Sep 12 at 14:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've bought a pair of Uniroyal Rainsports from a user on here for my Fabia for less than the price of 2 new ones.

It's not normally something I'd consider, but as long as you can have a good look over them first then I don't see the problem, even if they've been in a crash?

As long as there is no visible damage, then I can't see how the carcass can be damaged if nothing on the outer is.
antnee

13th Sep 12 at 15:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We put some part worns on the girlfriends Fiesta, came from someone who had winter tyres fitted all round
geth_16vsport

13th Sep 12 at 15:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

best tyres to buy for an old bemmer love
em

[Edited on 13-09-2012 by geth_16vsport]
CORSA NUT

13th Sep 12 at 15:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've just bought a Kumho for the scooby, it was a 17 inch for £25 and I could literally see the new tyre coloured lines faintly.

Debating changing the other 3 if I can match them as there a shite make.
random dav
Premium Member

13th Sep 12 at 15:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have used them before no probs.

People make laugh who say dont use them blah blah blah, but the same people probs go and buy a second hand car and I bet they don't put a new set of tyres on.

WRLFC !

Project cars
Butler

13th Sep 12 at 16:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is it more cost effective to go to a local place or just buy some from ebay?
Gary
Premium Member

13th Sep 12 at 16:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Easier to go local imo, then you can rummage about in what they've got and pick the best ones. You can normally get matching fronts then matching rears too
Anty
Premium Member

13th Sep 12 at 17:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

always buy part worns !! ive had no issues with them.
Kyle T
Premium Member

13th Sep 12 at 17:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I worked with a guy who swore by them, had them on everything from his GF's Micra, to his MSport 3series to his Porsche Cayman.

It's not something I've ever gone for, but I'll try some out next time I need new fronts. Would much prefer old brands to new budgets.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
alan-g-w

13th Sep 12 at 18:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What's the difference in mechanical grip between a brand new tyre that's worn down to 4-6mm from driving on your car to the exact same tyre thats come off another car - none. I'd say the only deciding factor is the price
Steve
Premium Member

13th Sep 12 at 18:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if the other car has geo issues or tracking out
shane_o

13th Sep 12 at 18:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Daily.. no, i do have a stack of part worns to drift though, a lot of people i know swear by them though
John

13th Sep 12 at 18:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can always tell the people who get part worns.
Nic Barnes

13th Sep 12 at 18:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Get them for nothing so yeah.
pete8v

13th Sep 12 at 19:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah always check them first just got two matching tyres with 6.5mm tread for 50quid inc fitting

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Part worn tyres... 23 database queries in 0.0153909 seconds