corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Part worn tyres...

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Part worn tyres...
Steve
Premium Member

User status: Offline
13th Sep 12 at 19:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

people like ojc buy part worns
Ian
Site Administrator

13th Sep 12 at 19:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wouldn't buy them on Ebay purely because the prices are too high and you'll then pay delivery on top of that.

I've sold loads though and although they are from salvage cars, you can't really sell tyres with hidden damage. It'll either be visibly fit for the bin or sound. Go local, look over them while they're off the rim and you'll be OK.

I don't do it for either of mine purely because the local places by me don't have good supply of either of those sizes but on something a bit more common you can make a saving.

If you don't like part worn things I assume you change the tyres when you buy a new car? Or when you dent the door but don't go through insurance, you'd need to change them then as well.

Not saying they're all safe, don't buy them blind, but its not the minefield you might think.
Ben J

13th Sep 12 at 19:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If I was buying off a mate and I knew their history then maybe.

Otherwise no chance.

Most decent tyre places won't deal with part worns. Says alot IMO.

Obv for a track car I wouldn't be arsed.

[Edited on 13-09-2012 by Ben J]
Twiggy

13th Sep 12 at 20:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben J

Edited on 13-09-2012 by Ben J]

Yeh they wont make as much money as a new tyre
Ian
Site Administrator

13th Sep 12 at 20:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Decisions like that can also be driven by the market.

That's like saying main dealers don't sell write-offs, yes, because no one would touch them.

Doesn't make them bad cars per se. Same principle.

Do also think you'll get less hassle with new ones, you just pay the price.
Nic Barnes

13th Sep 12 at 20:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Twiggy
quote:
Originally posted by Ben J

Edited on 13-09-2012 by Ben J]

Yeh they wont make as much money as a new tyre
Would actually make more profit. There isn't a lot of mark up on tyres once you factor in all costs of running business, wages, fitting, disposal etc etc.
Hammer

13th Sep 12 at 20:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Something I have never contemplated never mind done tbh.
Andrew

13th Sep 12 at 22:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Personally, depends on the car and garage using. I had a Corsa Van worth very little - was either keeping this and running into the ground or selling on when i had some cash. In which case the garage across the road from where i live get almost new branded tyres in that i would have gone for. However, i wouldn't trust these monkey with a decent set of wheels.
alan-g-w

13th Sep 12 at 22:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
if the other car has geo issues or tracking out

I was told that most of the part worns in Britain are from Germany where the legal limit is a good bit more than ours. They'll be whipped off the krauts perfectly fine and driveable cars and definetely be put through some sort of quality control checking for that sort of stuff. Even if it was off a bit it'd be fine in 100miles
Andrew

13th Sep 12 at 22:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by LiVe LeE
I wrecked a tyre when I was away on business, found a dodgy back street tyre garage in the docks where I was working; as the Pirellis were a few thousand miles old but nowhere near replacing, I didn't want to have to replace both fronts as there was nothing wrong with the other tyre.

He gave me a choice of a part worn pirelli to match but it had significantly less tread than my other good tyre or a brand new 'German' tyre; either was £35. I went with the new tyre solely as for £35, if it only lasted half as long as the good pirelli I had left, it would still outlast it. How wrong was I, it lasted the 200mile trip home and that was it

moral of the story, I'd rather buy a part worn branded tyre than a similar priced cheap new tyre

Fucking hell mate I think you got unlucky there mind:

I had 2 budget on my Corsa Van i did 4k which seemed ok (don't think they even had a readable name). Also had them on my Company Ford Connect when i had that. Seemed to wear after around 16 - 18k on the front but for £50 a corner i was happy. It wasn't really a sport car so didn't matter about grip.

Putting remoulds on a Golf 1.4 TSI though Cheap bodge for MOT and sale on my side... Never heard back from the buyer so hopefully they go home ok
CORSA NUT

13th Sep 12 at 22:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can't believe the hate for part worn's going on

FFS even if a brand new car that's written off after say 500 miles has its tyres taken off and sold on as art worn. There clearly brand new but some people would rather pay 50/60 more for a 'Brand New' tyre? You'd have to be insane to do that.

Also saying you don't know the 'History' of a tyre fucking LOL it's a peice of rubber FFS
Hammer

13th Sep 12 at 23:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Pieces of rubber deteriorate. Even the stuff aliens use to build their spaceships.
Nic Barnes

13th Sep 12 at 23:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Exactly. As long as its not damaged, been ran flat, un-even wear which you can check yourself. Some times when they have been ran flat it won't show on sidewall so need to check inside before you buy/fit.
Nic Barnes

13th Sep 12 at 23:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Hammer
Pieces of rubber deteriorate. Even the stuff aliens use to build their spaceships.
Over a long period of time. Your average runner won't be that old of a tyre. It's not going to deteriorate in a couple of years even. Be fine.
CORSA NUT

14th Sep 12 at 07:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Hammer

STFU sarcastic twat
Hammer

14th Sep 12 at 08:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sarcastic twat with new tyres
CORSA NUT

14th Sep 12 at 10:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well at least you've admitted your a twat which will do me
gez bay

14th Sep 12 at 14:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Seems its quite popular then
Neo

14th Sep 12 at 14:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Currently have 4 mismatched tyres on mine Got a puncture in a fairly fresh tyre which couldn't be repaired, went to a part worn place, got an as new avon iirc for £30.

Few months later I noticed the fronts were really badly worn and needed replacing and was skint so went and got 2 more part worns, almost new kumho and an equally nearly new pirelli, £60.

For one or 2 when skint its great, however decent deals on new tyres can be had and you can't guarantee you will find a part worn with loads of tread left. I've been lucky, and where I live there are only 2 places that do part worns so the good ones tend to go quite quickly.
scottyp1989

15th Sep 12 at 08:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have only bought new tyres once, thes side wall shreded one one after 50 miles as was defective from new. Always bought part worns since and never had no problems.
Steve
Premium Member

15th Sep 12 at 09:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if youve never had no problems why do you keep buying them
scottyp1989

15th Sep 12 at 09:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
if youve never had no problems why do you keep buying them

That makes no sense.
Steve
Premium Member

15th Sep 12 at 09:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I agree it doesn't make sense why you keep buying part worn tyres when you've never had no problems with them, bit silly that
gez bay

15th Sep 12 at 11:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Surely if it's wall came apart in 50 miles you could take it back If it's faulty?
cunningham

15th Sep 12 at 12:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

mate works at VW and i got 2x 18/40/225 bridgestones for 20 quid lol both with 4-5mm

[Edited on 15-09-2012 by cunningham]

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Part worn tyres... 22 database queries in 0.1084189 seconds