corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » New TV £1k Budget HELP???

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author New TV £1k Budget HELP???
SXI - Matt

User status: Offline
23rd Aug 12 at 18:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I know I know the millionth time this has been asked but...

Move into the new house in 5 week's and want to find the TV & get it ordered ect, so I'm looking at a 47" the distance from TV to viewing area is 4m so at a guess 47 should be ideal.

Have £1k put by & would like to get a TV & blu ray surround sound system, what's the best led plasma ect & why? I've read into hertz ect so any one recommend the best for viewing quality in HD / blu ray really not bothered about 3D

Also can any one explain on a post card pixels and scale ect?

Thanks in advance

[Edited on 23-08-2012 by SXI - Matt]
Dom

23rd Aug 12 at 20:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Panny Plasma, job's a good'un.
James

24th Aug 12 at 08:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Samsung LED IMO.
Bart

24th Aug 12 at 08:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom

This.

search on AV forums, but I would deffo stick with Panasonic.

Samsung are cheap and aimed at general users and John.

[Edited on 24-08-2012 by Bart]
Dom

24th Aug 12 at 09:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Bart
quote:
Originally posted by Dom

Samsung are cheap and aimed at general users.

John's going to be all over you for that

The top end screens are pretty decent and nor are they cheap. But personally a Panny plasma out performs anything i've seen by Samsung.

But i agree about getting on AV forums, will get a fair better answer than on a corsa forum.

Matt - Look at a Panny TXP50GT30B or a newer model TXP50UT50B and they come with decent warranties. Otherwise if you want a Samsung then 6800/6900 is probably your best bet.
Either way, go to a few decent stores (John Lewis is good if you haven't got a Sevenoaks or similar near you) and go view them yourself.

[Edited on 24-08-2012 by Dom]
John

24th Aug 12 at 11:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They forgot to tell the shops that my Samsung was cheap.

Can get a 55" 2012 midrange model for £1200.

[Edited on 24-08-2012 by John]
Balling
Premium Member

24th Aug 12 at 11:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Panasonic plasma if you want best value for money.

However, personally I made the decision on size over quality. A 60" Samsung will have a bigger impact on your movie experience than a 46" Panasonic, even though the later might have more precise colours and better black level.
To me, Panasonic are also lightyears behind in terms of case design, and I'll be brutally honest and say that's a huge selling point for me. After all, 90% of the time I see my TV it's turned off.

Samsung make some quality plasma TV's and even though they've never seemed to be class leaders, they've always had the price point to compensate and are never sacking completely behind.

I personally tested a 46" Panasonic against a 60" LG of the cheaper variety. When studying the picture, the Panasonic had a just unbelievable lead on the LG. Basically no comparison. However, once bullets started flying, the 60" simply had me more involved.

All that said, a 1K budget for TV, BD player and complete surround will either get you mediocre products across the line or you'll have to choose how you want to prioritise.

whitter45

24th Aug 12 at 12:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

need a big room for a 60"

LED I would look at Samsung or Sony - basically same panel but with different electronics

Personally prefer SONY
Balling
Premium Member

24th Aug 12 at 12:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by whitter45
need a big room for a 60"
No.

At a distance of 3 metres a 60" will still fill less of your vision than an average cinema screen from the middle rows.

At a 4 metres viewing distance I'd happily have a +80" screen.

John

24th Aug 12 at 12:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Agree with Balling, this certain room size stuff is rubbish, I'd have as big as I could fit if I had unlimited money and the TV's were good enough.

Originates from LCD TV's being very expensive and only 720p, people had to justify buying a smaller, lower resolution TV.
Dom

24th Aug 12 at 15:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

1.5 to 3 times the screen size is what i've always been told and it's a good rule of thumb to stick by. And viewing angle is just as important.
SXI - Matt

24th Aug 12 at 16:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So I take it LED is the one to go for? And to be honest I suppose the case design is a big one for me, really liking the ultra thin Samsung ones that are out at the minute but obviously if the picture quality isn't great I'd go for the better one. Wanting to spend more on the tv then the surround sound, dont want to be stupidly loud just decent sound quality and effects

Was going to pop into richer sounds and have a look there just so much to choose from

[Edited on 24-08-2012 by SXI - Matt]
Dom

24th Aug 12 at 18:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by SXI - Matt
So I take it LED is the one to go for?

No. You're better off making that decision yourself. Have a gander on AV forums and then go looks at the sets.

And being pedantic, it's LCD LED Backlit TV not LED TV.
_Allan_

24th Aug 12 at 19:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Richer Sounds is a good shout for choice and their warranties (5 years) are only 10% of whatever the TV price is. John Lewis seem to add on £250 ish to a TV for their FREE 5 year warranty
Dom

24th Aug 12 at 21:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by _Allan_
Richer Sounds is a good shout for choice and their warranties (5 years) are only 10% of whatever the TV price is. John Lewis seem to add on £250 ish to a TV for their FREE 5 year warranty

John Lewis will price match, although it's worth haggling with who ever you buy it from.
Russ

24th Aug 12 at 21:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i'd be getting a PJ
Dom

24th Aug 12 at 21:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Russ
i'd be getting a PJ

You'd be getting a better picture on a flatscreen for £1k than you would out of a PJ and screen.
Russ

24th Aug 12 at 21:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah, undoubtedly, but how often are you gonna have the chance to waste £1000 an AV, might as well get something ridiculous, imo
Brett
Premium Member

25th Aug 12 at 10:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Love my 60" LED tv, bigger the better imo. screw room size
whitter45

28th Aug 12 at 09:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by SXI - Matt
So I take it LED is the one to go for? And to be honest I suppose the case design is a big one for me, really liking the ultra thin Samsung ones that are out at the minute but obviously if the picture quality isn't great I'd go for the better one. Wanting to spend more on the tv then the surround sound, dont want to be stupidly loud just decent sound quality and effects

Was going to pop into richer sounds and have a look there just so much to choose from

[Edited on 24-08-2012 by SXI - Matt]

Bets thing to do is go and view TVs and listen to surround sounds

What might sound and look good to me maybe different for you
SXI - Matt

30th Aug 12 at 20:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ok I'm 99% sure I will be purchasing this TV http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/search-keywords/xx_xx_xx_xx_xx/SONY+KDL-46HX753BU/xx-criteria.html

Along with this surround sound set up http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/search-keywords/xx_xx_xx_xx_xx/SONY+BDVE490/xx-criteria.html

Has any one got either and have any pro's or con's on either set up? Had the sony and a new samsung model side by side and prefer the colours and picture on the sony, despite not being so bright it seemed more natural. As for the surround sound seems a good match being the same brand and sound quality sounded really good for the money to

[Edited on 30-08-2012 by SXI - Matt]
Dom

30th Aug 12 at 20:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Now get hunting for reviews and have a look on forums and see if there are any known issues.

To get you started though -

AVForums review - http://www.avforums.com/reviews/Sony-Bravia-HX853-KDL-55HX753-46HX753-40HX753-32HX753-3D-LED-LCD-TV-Review_321/Review.html

AVForums Owners thread - http://www.avforums.com/forums/lcd-led-lcd-tvs/1646236-sony-kdl-hx753-owners-thread.html

Worth having a look to see if JL stock it as well, as they will price match and offer the 5-year warranty.

[Edited on 30-08-2012 by Dom]
whitter45

31st Aug 12 at 11:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

don't get that surround sound

For about the same maybe slightly more you get get some good speakers and a second amp off ebay that would be much better

http://www.superfi.co.uk/p-9565-boston-acoustics-soundware-xs-51-se-speaker-system.aspx

Good blu ray player from Sony is about £100

That Sony TV is very good but the 8 series is a better picture

Most TV's in the shops will have a shop mode in which colours are vivid etc. Sony have always been rich on colour content which I prefer

[Edited on 31-08-2012 by whitter45]
SXI - Matt

31st Aug 12 at 13:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheer's for the owners thread DOM seem's every one is very happy with it, with bad reviews coming form people who have heard form some on or only played with it in a shop.

Guess it's down to personal preference though, and for me this fit's the bill I think.

Going to JL today to see if they will price match for me & providing I don't see any think else that grab's my attention pretty sure I'll buy iy

New Poll