corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Does anybody here do Motorsport?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Does anybody here do Motorsport?
FruitBooTeR

User status: Offline
10th Oct 07 at 10:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Been looking at rallycross and karting etc just wondered if anybody here does any kind of motorsport and if they can give advice on how to get into it.

I know theres track days etc you can attend but isnt that basicly just driving your car around the track, theres no like competition involved.

Want to get into something at a begginer level thats not too expensive either.

Any ideas

Dan Lewis

10th Oct 07 at 10:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

really all motorsport can be expensive,
Dan Lewis

10th Oct 07 at 10:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A Beginners Guide To Getting Started In Motor Racing

Basically, there are two ways of getting started in motor racing. The first option is to buy a race prepared car from a competitor who is changing classes or packing up.

The alternative way is to use a "donor" car and do all the conversion yourself. With this option much depends on the condition of the car in the first place. It must be stressed that it needs to be in sound condition with regard to body, suspension and running gear. You are going to be driving the car to it's limit so it needs to be safe and strong.

It has to be said that the cheapest way of starting is by buying a ready prepared car. Preferably one which you have seen perform on the track and which you can take back home straight from there. No race car ever seems to fetch as much money as has been spent on it, so doing it this way you are not paying full price for all the extra fittings. If you want to look at a prospective purchase it's not a bad idea to take along someone with some experience of the cars so that they can advise. You will need to fit a full roll cage to protect you in the event of an accident. A plumbed in fire extinguisher system is required for all classes from 2006. In addition to this you will need an Electrical cut-out switch . This is to isolate the electrical system in the event of an accident so that sparks cannot start a fire. A racing seat and a full harness seat belt will also be needed.

In addition to the car you will need personal safety gear; ie. flameproof racing overalls, boots, gloves, balaclava, underwear and a good quality crash helmet. With all safety equipment always buy the best you can afford. If you are a spectacle wearer it's a good idea to use plastic lenses instead of the normal glass.

Finally, you will need to take and pass the ARDS course which is run at various circuits and is designed to give the beginner an introduction to track driving in cars run by the racing school. You then take a practical and written assessment which, if passed, will enable you to obtain your Competition Licence. To set all this in motion you will need the "Go Racing" starter pack from the MSA. This includes a half-hour instructional video, The MSA Motorsports Yearbook (or the Blue Book as it's universally known), and all the information and forms needed to get you started.

The Drayton Manor Park MG Metro Cup is one of the friendliest Championships around and you will find that the drivers and their helpers will be very willing to chat and offer advice and opinions. So why not come to one of the meetings and talk to people and see for yourself ? If you want to know more about the series, please write, telephone, fax or e-mail one of the contacts on the Contacts page. The Metro Cup really is one of the best ways to make an entry into motor sport and have lots of fun.

In order to take part in the Drayton Manor Park MG Metro Cup you will need to join the MG Car Club. On the Contacts page there is a link to the MG Car Club web site where you will find the necessary details. In addition to joining the MG Car Club, you will also need to register for the Championship. This will cost £25 for the year and is entitles you to race with the series. Any registrations should be sent to the Registrar, whose address and telephone number is on the Contacts page.
micra_pete
Premium Member

10th Oct 07 at 10:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hillclimb
JayCarr

10th Oct 07 at 10:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Grass track racing As cheap or expensive as you want it to be. My dad des it, his car's had arounnd 4-5 grand spent on it. But some people on spend a couple of hundred and still have fun. Then you get the people who spends 20k upwards
Dan295

10th Oct 07 at 10:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im doing motorsport at college
boyracer2002

10th Oct 07 at 11:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My mate used to race karts (with lewis hamilton) then stopped and got into riings bikes with me, just going back into it now though but i know it was very expensive - for a national race or big race it was costing 1k per weekend or so
FruitBooTeR

10th Oct 07 at 11:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

1k for a weekend forget that lol
ed

10th Oct 07 at 11:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you want to start doing F1 there is a Peugeot F1 engine lying around at my uni that i'll try and steal if you let me have a go car when you have bought it
Hamish

10th Oct 07 at 12:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dan Lewis
A Beginners Guide To Getting Started In Motor Racing

Basically, there are two ways of getting started in motor racing. The first option is to buy a race prepared car from a competitor who is changing classes or packing up.

The alternative way is to use a "donor" car and do all the conversion yourself. With this option much depends on the condition of the car in the first place. It must be stressed that it needs to be in sound condition with regard to body, suspension and running gear. You are going to be driving the car to it's limit so it needs to be safe and strong.

It has to be said that the cheapest way of starting is by buying a ready prepared car. Preferably one which you have seen perform on the track and which you can take back home straight from there. No race car ever seems to fetch as much money as has been spent on it, so doing it this way you are not paying full price for all the extra fittings. If you want to look at a prospective purchase it's not a bad idea to take along someone with some experience of the cars so that they can advise. You will need to fit a full roll cage to protect you in the event of an accident. A plumbed in fire extinguisher system is required for all classes from 2006. In addition to this you will need an Electrical cut-out switch . This is to isolate the electrical system in the event of an accident so that sparks cannot start a fire. A racing seat and a full harness seat belt will also be needed.

In addition to the car you will need personal safety gear; ie. flameproof racing overalls, boots, gloves, balaclava, underwear and a good quality crash helmet. With all safety equipment always buy the best you can afford. If you are a spectacle wearer it's a good idea to use plastic lenses instead of the normal glass.

Finally, you will need to take and pass the ARDS course which is run at various circuits and is designed to give the beginner an introduction to track driving in cars run by the racing school. You then take a practical and written assessment which, if passed, will enable you to obtain your Competition Licence. To set all this in motion you will need the "Go Racing" starter pack from the MSA. This includes a half-hour instructional video, The MSA Motorsports Yearbook (or the Blue Book as it's universally known), and all the information and forms needed to get you started.

The Drayton Manor Park MG Metro Cup is one of the friendliest Championships around and you will find that the drivers and their helpers will be very willing to chat and offer advice and opinions. So why not come to one of the meetings and talk to people and see for yourself ? If you want to know more about the series, please write, telephone, fax or e-mail one of the contacts on the Contacts page. The Metro Cup really is one of the best ways to make an entry into motor sport and have lots of fun.

In order to take part in the Drayton Manor Park MG Metro Cup you will need to join the MG Car Club. On the Contacts page there is a link to the MG Car Club web site where you will find the necessary details. In addition to joining the MG Car Club, you will also need to register for the Championship. This will cost £25 for the year and is entitles you to race with the series. Any registrations should be sent to the Registrar, whose address and telephone number is on the Contacts page.

IMO that advice is all well and good, but then you need a race licence, car trailor (probs between £500-£1000), a car/4x4 to hook the car trailor up to etc.

I have a friend who races in the MG meastro (sp) cup and he picked up a race prepared car for 1k.

tbh its not the cost of the car and entering thats the issue its all he others costs. Petrol, tyres, brakes etc etc

IMO i would look into carting as those start up costs would be lower
Baskey

10th Oct 07 at 12:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

get a mini moto and start racing that, very cheep
Hamish

10th Oct 07 at 12:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I would set yourslef a budget to and dont go over it. Look into what you can do/get for that budget and see if that would float your boat.

r even better ry and get your mum or dad involved and see if they want to help out with the budget
Superlite Ltd.

10th Oct 07 at 12:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Most of the lads i know round here started off banger racing in fields

Then you join a club (night owl rally club is big round here) and get going
jr

10th Oct 07 at 12:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

only people on here i know off are the rallys lads

Novarally
chris astley
Bendy
Corsarally ? and a few others

and people like AK/Fee and luckyb etc

i would look at hillclimbing possibly though, but dave will have more info on that
Robin
Premium Member

10th Oct 07 at 13:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Banger racing is the only cheap motorsport IMO, especially Rookie bangers.

£200 for the first car (when you've made a roll bar, bought harnesses and a fuel tank, electrical cut off, fire extinguisher and got your banger license) then about £40-50 for every car after that.

Great fun too, all you need is a car with a 1.6 litre engine, a trailer and a spare sunday/monday and you're sorted really.
Ant

10th Oct 07 at 13:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I did karting untill about 6 years ago, stopped mainly due to costs I held an MSA national b licence and raced in TKM entry costs were around £100, tyres for a weekend £120 and engine went off for rebuild after it had done 2 hours track time £350 then the costs of bending it every few weeks.

Also dabbled on the ovals in ministox when i was younger the costs involved to be competitive were similar plus you need a trailer and somewhere to keep car & trailer (I also cant pull a car trailer on my license as i passed after 1997)

My dad raced autograss for many years and he through alot of money at it to stay competitive.

So the main thing I would say bare in mind is make sure you budget for it.

[Edited on 10-10-2007 by Ant]
Scotty C

10th Oct 07 at 13:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I thought that read 'does anyone here do muppetsport' then
AK

10th Oct 07 at 13:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

costs for time attack...

about 250 fee per round
car - heaps and heaps if your going to be anywhere near the top
Running costs/Gettings there - about 1k per round
Butler

10th Oct 07 at 16:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sprinting is fairly cheap, and 12 cars if youre into rallying. Castle combe saloons looks pretty cheap if youre close too.
Lucky B

10th Oct 07 at 17:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Speed event (sprints & hillclimbs) are probably the cheapest form of MSA approved motorsport you can compete in.

All you need is a non race nat B licence, join a local car club, fireproof overalls and a helmet.

You dont need a modified car to enter either, a std car will do.

All you need to do to a car is cover up your battery terminals, stick on a directional indicator to turn off your ignition and bodge up a timing strut for the front of the car.

cunningham

10th Oct 07 at 17:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

stockies my mate started the mini stock as soon as he was able to not sure on the age now hes driving the saloons

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Does anybody here do Motorsport? 23 database queries in 0.1498210 seconds