corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Advice needed about my suspension, really really harsh ride, kinda depressing.

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Advice needed about my suspension, really really harsh ride, kinda depressing.
Makarus

User status: Offline
29th Apr 03 at 23:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right, thought everything was going well, got my exhaust sorted and had lowered the back of my car, came to lower the front today and got some problems but sorted those.

But now the suspension is on I cant hack the ride it gives at all, in the dry on a smooth road its fine, infact its amazing handling is superb. But on bumpy roads I just cant cope with the ride quality at all. If I hit a grate in the road thats sunken a little the bang is huge, it scared someone I gave a lift home to early tonight. Over speed bumps I go less than 10mph and it still makes a huge bang. Its just too much.

I really really need your help, I use my car a lot and really do HATE driving it now. I cant cope at all.

I dont have any bumpstops, are these an option, will they stop the banging?? I can cope with the jolting but not the banging, it just wories me what its doing to my car every time it bangs.

Please help me out,
Its just one thing on top of another at the moment and I just cant cope,
Cheers,
Sean.
Makarus

30th Apr 03 at 00:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh by the way the setup is:-

60mm GMax lowering springs front and back
Pi 30% uprated dampers front and back.

Please someone help I cant deal with it, got a major problem that I would need my mate to help me put it back to standard if I cant fix it so need to make a decision soon so I can get it sorted.

Cheers people,
Sean.
DanielJ

30th Apr 03 at 01:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

nothn u can do bout it m8 thas the thing u ge with a drop, mines pretty hard witha a 40mm drop live with it or change it cos thas how it si
Makarus

30th Apr 03 at 01:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Surely it isn't this harsh, I dont know how people can actualy drive with it this harsh and there are a lot of people with such a drop.

I think to fix it I will just go back to how it was before, but would like to keep it how it is, on a decent surface the handling is amazing and it looks so bloody good.
DanielJ

30th Apr 03 at 01:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thas how it is, the ride on mine is pretty much solid 1 little dip in the road and BANG thas how it is
Lazarus1

30th Apr 03 at 01:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Welcome to the club.My car is lowered -35mm on g&m springs and Sachs(turbo BOGE)gas shocks,very stiff.When i first lowered the car i was like wooow the handeling is superb(smooth roads).But on bumpy roads it's a different story.Very very harsh ride,i can feel every hole in the road.When i drive my friends around town and we hit a slight pot hole they are like:Wow man what was that?are your shocks allright?But i'm used to it so it doesnt bother me that much.
I also feel alot of stress through my steering wheel(i.e.every hole that i go through i feel it on the s.wheel--hope this is normal)
Now i'm no expert but i think that you have a harsh drive cause it's even more lowered than mine.You'll get used to it.Just drive slow on bumpy roads.Hope i was able to help.
DanielJ

30th Apr 03 at 01:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

got it in 1 m8
stubbsy

30th Apr 03 at 06:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

unless you get some adjustable dampners, then you can adjust the hardness, put it on its softest setting and your ride quality should be alot better.
Mark Petty

30th Apr 03 at 08:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

would a 40mm drop all round be a harsh ride? springs only
Kris TD

30th Apr 03 at 08:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its cos you are down 60mm, there is no suspention travel to speak of. mines the same and i have adjustable shocks.
Greasemonkey

30th Apr 03 at 08:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think springs only will be even worse because they are uprated even more to work with factory dampers, buy a whole kit its harsh but not that harsh
Kris TD

30th Apr 03 at 08:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

nah springsd only dont crash, they are just bouncy.

its the shocks which make the ride harsh.
Andy GSi

30th Apr 03 at 08:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i have spax adjustable dampers, and i set mine to hard, because then, i can have ppl in v car, without scrapping!!! havn't tried it on soft YET!!! its a rough ride, but u do get used to it, i have, don't notice it no more
Demo

30th Apr 03 at 08:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

stop whinging and get used to it. just find nice roads that make you appreciate how low it is and how smooth the ride is
Makarus

30th Apr 03 at 08:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Maybe I am just being too sensitivive, its just every small bump feels like I have just driven up a kerb at 20mph.

I suppose I will have to get used to it or take the kit off. Would bump stops help to ease the problem make bangs smoother because I am really worrying people that travel in my car now.

Another thing, is there such a thing as a cat guard, over speed bumpes the bottom of the car is scrapping, I think its tyhe cat as thats the lowest part of the car now.
beav

30th Apr 03 at 09:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ur car will have bumpstops! just not uprated ones, if anything they will make it 100% worse, because they tightem everyhting up basically.

Thats just how it goes with ur suspension, livbe with it or change the kit.

Cat-gurad, Im sure u could fabricate one but none are made for this purpose.
Makarus

30th Apr 03 at 09:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right one more question, will all this harsh ride actually be damaging the car. I mean when I go over one of these little bumps and I have a big bang is it damaging the car or is it just the fact that its low so it seems harsher than it is??
beav

30th Apr 03 at 09:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm sure it cant be doing it much good but think how many ppl on here have had a setup like that for ages now. The hrash ride will settle quite a bit after some time as well, just think its brand new (aint it) so will take some loosening up.
Makarus

30th Apr 03 at 09:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nah it aint brand new, it was a second hand kit off of someone on the forum.

Does everyone elses CD player skip every time they hit the slightest of bumps?? Mine does, and it aint a shite reader its an Alpine 7893R head unit that keeps skipping which makes me think the ride is far too harsh.
3CorsaMeal

30th Apr 03 at 09:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

U don't wanna buy shocks second hand, that is not a good thing to do, don't know what u getting, could be naffed and u can't tell easily........i almost brought some second hand but got some advice first.......

My last car was a -35mm drop and it used to bang and bump..........thats why Vauxhall make it that height to begin with.

Good for race tracks and smooth roads, but not for the country roads....

U will be increases stress on ur chassis and driveshafts!
AdiSRI

30th Apr 03 at 10:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have Apex -40mm kit and everyone says the springs on that are soft and i love it its not too hard at all. Is solid and u notice the bumps but no banging and handles brilliant.
You could try some apex -60mm springs Marakus it might take away a bit of the harshness??

[Edited on 30-04-2003 by AdiSRI]
Makarus

30th Apr 03 at 11:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I cant really afford to keep spending money on the car, this was the last mod I wanted to do to it for a while and its turning out to be a big job.

I am gonna have to get bump stops, am i right in thinking the bump stop sits over the piston rod stopping the suspension arm from traveling up enough to actually bottom out like it is??

Also for my setup which bump stops would you reommend for me to use?? Seen some spax ones on the net which may be a good plan.

I dont mind bounce, anything is better than bang.
beav

30th Apr 03 at 12:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Read my above post
3CorsaMeal

30th Apr 03 at 12:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i think he did and replyed!
Makarus

30th Apr 03 at 12:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have read it and replied.

Anyone else, I have been told bump stops are the way to go, I aint got a problem with the harsh ride, I can cope with that I think, it more towards the fact that with the harsh ride i get really loud banging, bumpstops would stop this would they not??

Do bump stops only run front or do they go on the back aswell??

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll