corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » how much oil?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author how much oil?
Root

User status: Offline
28th Jun 12 at 13:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Interested in changing the oil/oil filter on my 12v corsa. How much oil does it take to hit between both markers on the dipstick? And I'm looking at getting slightly thicker oil to lessen the engine noise, until I can change the chain anyway. What oil is thicker? lower numbers like 5w30 or higher like 15w40? I don't really get the oil numbers. I heard it was something related to the temperature it works at or..?

Cheers
Root

28th Jun 12 at 13:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is 4 litres of 10w40 enough? or do I need a bit more than 4?
Firefly

28th Jun 12 at 13:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I used to put 3.5 litres of 20w50 in my 1.2 8v for engines over 100000km and i do the same with the 1.6
johnhara1

28th Jun 12 at 14:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The 1.0 12v only holds about 3.5L so you'll be fine buying 4 and keeping the rest for top ups.

When filling up just put 2L in, check dipstick, top up half a litre at a time until you're just a smidge under the max mark on the stick.
3CorsaMeal

29th Jun 12 at 11:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The higher the number the thicker the oil

First number refers to oil when its cold (10w)
Second number refers to oil when at operating temp

If you do change your filter, remember to fill up the oil to required level, then check the level again once you have turned engine on, let it run and then turn it off and allowed to cool. As some will need to fill up the new filter

New Poll