corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » z18xe in b discussion

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author z18xe in b discussion
Paul W
Premium Member

User status: Offline
15th Jun 12 at 20:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So i'd just like to get some peoples opinions and have a discussion about this as there's a lot of contradictory info about on the internet, i'd just like to see if i can get some clarity on the subject.

A lot of people say its not possible due to the drive by wire throttle on the z18 and say to just put a x18xe1 in, but obviously the z18's can be picked up for around the same price as an xe1 but have around 15bhp more out the box so begs the question if it's worth it, obviously the extra power would be better considering the same sort of price.

Whilst researching i've come across a few posts suggesting that it's possible to run the z18 with the standard z18 ecu etc whilst retaining the throttle peddle setup in the corsa. There's a few posts i've seen which hint that the z18 in vectras run a pot sensor type thing which can be used with a cable. I'm wondering if this is true then why hasn't it been documented a whole lot as surely it would be fairly simple to do? I'm still looking into it and trying to find clear examples and stuff as i'd really like to do it in mine. So what's your take on it? possible? am i onto something with the vectra z18 throttle setup and corsa cable? Discuss away, very interested in seeing if it's possible

Rio Verde Bagged More Door Project
Darryl H
Organiser: South Central
Premium Member

15th Jun 12 at 20:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

IIRC DaveyLC did the fly by wire

|My Corsa|SC|My Instagram|
timmsy21

16th Jun 12 at 09:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Correct me if im wrong but couldn't you just change the throttle body for a cable operated item and use the other ECU as you mentioned or is that what you mean?
Corsa_Sport21

16th Jun 12 at 12:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you want to chase numbers, go for the Z18XE. Otherwise, stick with the X18XE1.

My last Astra SRi hatch had the Z18XE with 103k on it. Went well tbh, surprisingly nippy. My current, heavier Astra Coupe has the X18XE1 with 104k on it, and i swear it feels alot quicker than what the Z18XE was. Feels more responsive. Both cars were pretty much standard.
Paul W
Premium Member

16th Jun 12 at 13:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Did he darryl? I thought he used the standard cable throttle on the xe1?

timmsy, i'm not sure, don't think it works that easily as the z18 has a few sensors in different places and such. So i'm guessing if you're gonna use the z18 it'd be best to use the whole lot, loom, ecu, etc.

Tbh, i'm not gonna be chasing numbers as such with mine cos obviously it's not really built for speed what with the air ride and full leather interior and stuff lol. I just want something that'll pull well and drive nice. Which is why i'm wondering if it's worth figuring out the z18 or just sticking to the xe1, is the extra power of z18 worth it.

Just to further explain, here is the vectra throttle pedal with pot sensor, and i can see how this could be modified quite easily to run the corsa cable, would be relatively simple right? using the z18 ecu and loom etc or am i over simplifying it?

Mieran

16th Jun 12 at 17:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've seen a thread while ago on mig, some bloke from south africa put a z18 in his B and converted to fly by.

X18XE1 is pretty much same engine just cable.
Mieran

16th Jun 12 at 17:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Actually hes from Hungry lol

http://www.migweb.co.uk/forums/projects-restorations/425927-corsa-b-z18xe.html
.Matt

16th Jun 12 at 18:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Believe you can Use Z18 with XE1 mapped ecu

Which i believe is not worth it, unless your going to do something special with the Z18.

May aswell just stick the XE1 in.

[Edited on 16-06-2012 by .Matt]
Paul W
Premium Member

17th Jun 12 at 01:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mieran, that looks interesting!

That pic shows the pot sensor being used with the cable so it is possible, and is a viable solution it seems.

Matt, since you have an xe1 corsa, what's it like to live with? Decent driveability?

Talking in crazy dreamland, i'd love a z18xe turbo in my corsa, but i can't really see myself getting to that stage tbh.

Mark.W

17th Jun 12 at 13:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Speak to Warren he will probably be able to tell you everything you need to know Paul.
.Matt

17th Jun 12 at 15:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My Corsa is pretty fun to drive, where the engine still weighs a small amount, its still light on the front end, although the sump does sit low to the ground.

For example:

The sump plug is lowest point to the ground, thats on a 60mm drop.

Darryl H
Premium Member

18th Jun 12 at 19:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Paul W
Did he darryl? I thought he used the standard cable throttle on the xe1?

I thought he did. Not sure if it's the one he did for djgritt though

davegreen
Premium Member

18th Jun 12 at 20:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It will depend on where you want to go in the future, are you after more power or just something differant? My x20xev corsa b was great fun with minor tweaks to the engine but after market ecu makes the world of differance and if you get a good one could stay with the car what ever you decide to do futher down the line. Ive managed to get a vectra b z22se in a corsa c, had to make up brackets to mount stepper motor for throtle as its a differant type to the corsa's. Any thing is possible if you try! Cable opperated throtle is more easy to tune than fly by wire in my experiance.
Paul W
Premium Member

20th Jun 12 at 22:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Probably the easiest option Mark yeah, seems he's the boss when it comes to the small blocks.

Ah, sounds good Matt. Sump clearance isn't really a worry as the air ride counters that.

Tbh Dave, like i say, the car's a 1.4 16v atm and with the full leather interior and false floor/air ride install it's probably quite heavy. Would just like something a bit different from the norm with a decent amount of power/torque so it's nice to drive as a daily. I do like the idea of staying small block instead of having to go through the hassle of changing all the hubs/shafts etc.

Seems most people think the z18 isn't worth the extra hassle to do so just stick with the xe1. But the z18's turbo easier i thought?

Darryl H
Premium Member

21st Jun 12 at 09:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What one does warren have in his?

I read a thread the other day when he said that that's the engine he turbos

New Poll