corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » BMW Z4 3.0i and Fiesta ST-3. - Interior refresh.

New Poll
  <<  6    7    8    9    10    11    12  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author BMW Z4 3.0i and Fiesta ST-3. - Interior refresh.
Ben G

User status: Offline
19th Jun 12 at 13:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Fro
As long as it'd didn't overheat will be fine.

temp gauge was fine but as i pulled up to my house the fan kicked in.

i had only just put the undertray back on yesterday so need to go out and take it off again then fill the car up with anti freeze yet again

also wondering whether i need a need pipe as it was fitted correctly when we replaced the tank.
3CorsaMeal

19th Jun 12 at 13:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What sort of clip did it have? the springy clamp ones or the jubilee screw up ones?
Ben G

19th Jun 12 at 13:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

iirc its a push down clip as well as a circular metal thing similar to a jubilee clip.

pretty sure it's this pipe here:

need to go out and have a look really but getting too wound up by it.
Steve
Premium Member

19th Jun 12 at 13:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

looks like a spring clip, that you compress with pliers
Fro

19th Jun 12 at 14:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can't see the pic at work but I hate those if it's as Steve said, i usually replace them with jubilees when i remove them.

should be alright if the temp gauge was ok and the fan kicked it, as it only usually moves if overheating.
Ben G

19th Jun 12 at 14:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just had a look and it's just a circular metal bit that holds the pipe on from a bit of plastic inside. theres nowhere to compress it or tighten it.

i think it wasn't pushed into the 2 prongs all the way, and as the pressure built up it popped off.

this is what i was greeted with:

the push clip i was talking about:

back on hopefully for the last time:

undertray had a couple of war wounds

topped the tank up with water for now just to see if it's ok. will flush it and put some new coolant in at the weekend if it's alright.

my dad said it would be ok with no coolant in for now. dunno how right he is but we'll see.
Eck
Premium Member

19th Jun 12 at 15:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Will be perfectly fine with water.
Steve
Premium Member

19th Jun 12 at 15:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes ok for now, but get some in asap as coolant has anti corrosion properties
Ben G

19th Jun 12 at 15:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers

any point getting a k&n panel filter? it needs a service which is will be getting in 5 weeks, but wondered whether it's worth getting rid of the paper element for a decent one?
Ben G

19th Jun 12 at 20:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Went to go to my dads to watch football and had to pull over 2 miles into my 10 mipe journey. Temp gauge went right into the red and the red light came on.

Let it cool down a bit before pulling off the a road and into the services. Let it cool again after it shot back up but in the end had no choice but to drive 2 miles home with the red light on.

The top pipe coming off the expansion is hot but the bottom 2 aren't so it's something to do with the circulation of the water.

Air lock maybe? Going to leave the car for now as dad is coming over for a look tomorrow.
SetH

19th Jun 12 at 20:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Jesus wept!

The M54 engine is one of the most reliable BMW units ever but they suffer badly if allowed to overheat!

kennySRi

19th Jun 12 at 20:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You really shouldnt be risking driving it home whilst it's overheating. Surely you had a choice.

Hope it's not too bad though
SetH

19th Jun 12 at 20:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

All aluminium block (apart from cylinder liners) = easily warped head from overheating.

Lots of horrible interwebz stories of wrecked M54's from overheating exposure. Read one not so long ago about a guy that 'drove just a few miles with red light on so he could get home'.

really hoping Ben's is ok though!
Ben G

19th Jun 12 at 20:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by kennySRi
You really shouldnt be risking driving it home whilst it's overheating. Surely you had a choice.

Hope it's not too bad though

no choice. not leaving my car at the side of the road and walking 2 miles home for a start. it would be on bricks by the morning.

it seems to drive ok and didn't feel like it was down on power in any way so hopefully it's ok. it was probably only 2 minutes drive but felt like 2 hours as i was so worried about the potential repair bill

left it to cool down on the drive and i've had to top it up with water again. either the waters going somewhere i can't see (not on the floor) or i didn't put enough in and let it circulate before driving.
SetH

19th Jun 12 at 21:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dude get RAC, its worth the £60.

Years ago I probably would have done the same and drove that 2 miles but I won't risk it these days.

Hopefully its ok
Ben G

19th Jun 12 at 21:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've got cover through my bank totally forgot about that

Hopefully i've been lucky.
kennySRi

19th Jun 12 at 21:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by SetH
All aluminium block (apart from cylinder liners) = easily warped head from overheating.

Lots of horrible interwebz stories of wrecked M54's from overheating exposure. Read one not so long ago about a guy that 'drove just a few miles with red light on so he could get home'.

really hoping Ben's is ok though!

I've had it before with an M54 (e36 328, think that's the engine code). Although it drove perfectly fine and had no signs of a cracked head it still overheated and i never did cure it, just ended up changing the engine.

Hopefully that wont be the case for Ben.
kennySRi

19th Jun 12 at 21:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

On the plus side if you do decide to get a new engine i might be stripping my 330 and have a perfect running engine here for you
Steve
Premium Member

19th Jun 12 at 22:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sounds like air. Did you let it self bleed before?
3CorsaMeal

19th Jun 12 at 22:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if you had a corrado vr6 I would be able to help you no end.

Probably going to be something simple, don't let internet horror stories warp your mind.

Ive driven the corrado home after loosing most the coolant and its fine. Probably just that hose popped off. Let some air in, needs bleeding.

Or just fit a v10 engine, May as well.

[Edited on 19-06-2012 by 3CorsaMeal]
Ben G

19th Jun 12 at 22:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
Sounds like air. Did you let it self bleed before?

I did but probably not enough. I left the cap off and topped it up 3 times before I had to leave for work tonight. Seemed to have reached the max mark then as wouldnt go down at all.
Eck
Premium Member

20th Jun 12 at 09:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bleed the radiator again. Sounds like an air lock.
3CorsaMeal

20th Jun 12 at 17:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben G
iirc its a push down clip as well as a circular metal thing similar to a jubilee clip.

pretty sure it's this pipe here:

need to go out and have a look really but getting too wound up by it.

in this pic, is the blue knob there for bleeding the air from system?
Ben G

20th Jun 12 at 17:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

that's the drain plug mate.

the bleed valve is is at the top of the tank.

my dad came over and sorted it for me. he read up on it and it said to take the valve/nipple off and fill with water until it comes out the hole after all the bubbles had came out.

then turned the car on, left it running for 20 minutes (various rpm's) and it was fine. then took it for a 15 minute drive and there was no change in the temperature level.

close call and hopefully i've been lucky!

my dads fault but i won't blame him as he was doing me a favour.
SetH

20th Jun 12 at 20:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Result!

<<  6    7    8    9    10    11    12  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » BMW Z4 3.0i and Fiesta ST-3. - Interior refresh. 23 database queries in 0.1645238 seconds