corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Extensions/mortgage advice builders,etc

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Extensions/mortgage advice builders,etc
ljames555

User status: Offline
3rd Apr 12 at 21:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Going to be buying the house I currently rent (off my old man) and was wondering what advice or experiences people have regarding a new mortgage and doing a extension straight away.

The extension is roughly 48m2 and is either going to cost between 15k-30k (going to try do certain jobs myself and my mates a brickie)

Now I know mortgages are a nightmare at the moment so is it best to just get one on the house alone or either get a loan or remortgage (if possible straight away)

What is the process for a extension ?
whitter45

4th Apr 12 at 07:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

best thing to do is secure the house first - so get a mortgage on the house as it is

Then depending circumstances get a loan to pay for the extension

Doubt so early into a mortgage plan they would let you re-mortgage and depending on your deposit you initially put down you might not have enough equity to release 30k for the extension

If its lease hold you will need to get landlords permission which will involve costs and also plans being submitted

If the house is less than 10 years old check with the builder as they will have stipulations on what can be done in the first 10 years as they would have had this to get planning permission of the build of the estate

You will obviously need local planning permission via the council also
AndyKent

4th Apr 12 at 08:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What he said.

Get the ownership sorted first.
Work out the cheapest way of financing the works - likely a personal loan rather than on the mortgage.
Get a design/planning/building regs in place.
ljames555

4th Apr 12 at 08:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers fellas Ill secure the house first and see about a loan.

House is 1940s.

New Poll