corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Shared Ownership

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Shared Ownership
Conway563

User status: Offline
30th Apr 08 at 18:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Went to see a mortgage advisor today to find out roughly what I should be earning in order to get a flat - £32k
She basically said the only way I would be able to get my own place at the moment would be to look at shared ownership where I buy say 75% of the property and a company buys the other 25% with me paying them a small rent.

Just wondered if anybody had had experience of this type of scheme? Need to read up on it some more but it's always better to speak to someone that has been in this type of situation.
Kathryn W

30th Apr 08 at 21:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Barratts are doing the scheme at the minute where you buy 75% of the property, and you have to pay the 25% back after 10 years at the price of the value the house is worth at the time.

Could earn some profit if your selling soon ater, although can easily loose out.

Shared ownership where you rent aswell as pay the mortgage are good... Especially to get you in your own home. Some people think negative because in the long run you end up paying a lot back. Rent isn' normally to much though. You also have the upper hand of the property which is good, as in rental properties you cant domuch.
Dave M

1st May 08 at 07:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ive got a shared ownership house under a housing organisation called Tower homes.

only way i could get on the ladder, got a 2 bed house valued at 140k and i own 55% of it. 77k morgage. and rent the other 45%.

be careful if your looking at flats. because the monthly rent will be much higher than houses. due to the fact of service charges etc.

i didnt have a deposit for my morgage either, bank said i didnt need one.

also most morgage companys dont support shared ownership. i got mine through barclays woolwich. very helpfull.

hope this helps
Conway563

1st May 08 at 07:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah that's great cheers. The flat I was looking at was a new build and after having a look round you can get a house for the same sort of price so think I'd probably end up going down that route.
Been told I can get a mortgage for about £90k so would be looking at buying about 55% of the property.
Yeah the mortgage advisor I saw yesterday said I wouldn't need a deposit so hopefully I'll be able to look into this seriously soon.
Just need to wait for my ex-wife to give me back the money she owes and I'll have the money for costs.
Dean_W

1st May 08 at 10:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I live in a shared ownership home. Same story, couldn't get a mortgage for enough to go on my own.

My house is worth 160K, I put a large deposit of 15K down and bought it for 140K (70K)

Mortgage is low, £300 per month, rent is £137. The payments that I pay each month are lower than a mortgage for 140K would have cost me.

Downsides are the money that the house gians in valuve are split between me and the housing association. Plus I can't go knocking walls through or building extensions.

For getting on the ladder it's a great scheme imo.
MikeE

1st May 08 at 15:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

same as Korsa c
my mortagage ive been approved for is through barclays woolwich, but only a 40% share but its a start, just waiting for the 2bed to be built still.

[Edited on 01-05-2008 by MikeE]
Tomm R

2nd May 08 at 22:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my mum is currently selling up and going into a shared ownership scheme. I kow its not a very usefull post but thought i would share none the less!
Nismo

6th May 08 at 13:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Very good schemes, i live in a shared ownership home, and me and the misus are looking at getting a shared ownership as we just cant really afford to get anything in this area

We will probally get a 50/50 buy spend 80K on 50% and rent the other 50%
Conway563

6th May 08 at 13:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Should hopefully find out what's going on jobwise this week so I can try and get all this moving on.
Fancy going on holiday 1st though to get away before all the stress really starts

New Poll