corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » shared ownership question

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author shared ownership question
gwil0283

User status: Offline
9th Jan 07 at 15:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi
I am looking to buy a property with 75 % ownership and the other 25% you pay rent on

http://www.cityresidential.co.uk/html/buy/buy_individual.asp?recordid=100010623

ths one £81950 for 75%
my question is how much am i likely to be paying a month all together for the mortgage ? dont really know how it works ?
Russ

9th Jan 07 at 15:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

your mortgage over 25 years would be about 500? depending on who u go with, and ur probably looking at another 100 rent
Ally

9th Jan 07 at 15:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

See the useful links thread at the top of the forum on how to calculate your mortgage

As for rent - will vary down to the sellers themselves, best to call the estate agency and ask how much the rent is

But as Russ says, £100 sounds about right
VegasPhil
Premium Member

9th Jan 07 at 15:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The mortgage is up to the lender you go through, to how much you pay per month on that.

The remainder to be added on is the rental you pay, so say £150 PCM on top of the Mortgage. Then IIRC, you get an opportunity to purchase more ownership every three years or so.

Corsa 2.0 16v Vegas - Sold
gwil0283

9th Jan 07 at 16:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

oh right only earn about £1050 a month so got no chance or keeping the mortgage plus everything else on top
food bills ect
might as well get a card board box cant afford anything decent unless i live inthe ghetto !
Dean_W

9th Jan 07 at 16:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As a guide, we pay £120 rent per month on 50%. Valued at £80,000
gwil0283

9th Jan 07 at 16:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

how much on the mortgage then?
i will be on my own which makes it alot worse
Ally

9th Jan 07 at 16:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.corsasport.co.uk/board/viewthread.php?tid=329364

Use the link to the mortgage calculator in that thread, use 5% as a rough estimate

As you are buying on your own i would go for an interest only mortgage.

I take home the same as you and have a mortgage for £67500, repayments of £300 a month. I couldnt afford to live if my mortgage was higher than that tbh, and my mortgage is over 30 years

So a £600 a month mortgage (including rent) would kill you, and leave you £450 for bills, fuel and food and you couldnt survive on that!
neoquip

9th Jan 07 at 22:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by gwil0283
Hi
I am looking to buy a property with 75 % ownership and the other 25% you pay rent on

http://www.cityresidential.co.uk/html/buy/buy_individual.asp?recordid=100010623

ths one £81950 for 75%
my question is how much am i likely to be paying a month all together for the mortgage ? dont really know how it works ?

IMO... don't do it.
check out what other shared ownership houses sell for, when you want to sell it on!!
renting is dead money!
also whats the area like where this house is?
who are the other people buying them?

better buy bit cheaper house with FULL ownership.. least you will see an investment on what you've put in.

don't forget.. you would never own a 'share' house 100%. or if you can buy the other 25%... you wouldn't want to own all your house if everyone around you still only owns 75%

this is just my opinion, but do a bit of research into the fors and against.

are there DSS moving in?
gwil0283

10th Jan 07 at 11:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The problem with going for a cheaper house with full ownership is it is going to be in a bad area which im not prepared to do.
The other people buying shared ownership are like me first time buyers that is waat the scheme was designed for by the government to get people on the property ladder who cant normally afford to do it alone
neoquip

10th Jan 07 at 17:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

but, I can't understand that if you can get a £85k mortgage (about £470 a month?)
and then you pay £140 a month rent on top

that means you could pay a £610 a month

why can you not get a say £100k mortgage to get a better house or the same type of house you'd only be owner 75% of?
Ally

10th Jan 07 at 17:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

£610 a month, no way could you do that on your own unless you are taking in an MINIMUM of £1500 a month!

Plus, like neoquip says, find a mortgage done by affordability. Rent plus Mortgage on that property is say £600, but £600 would get you a £95k mortgage...

The scheme was developed by the governement to help people yes, but i would only use it as an absolute last resort to buy a property.

Affordability mortgage = more to play with

75% ownership = paying the same amount, for less!!
neoquip

10th Jan 07 at 18:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

go in to a 'market place' mortgage advise and see what the max you can borrow sensibly.

don't just go for someone who says they are INDEPENDENT!!

a 'Market Place' mortgage advisers are inpartial and will sell you the mortgage thats best for you and not what gives them best commision!!
keep away from 'banks/building societies' that will only offer you THEIR mortgages.. unless you have compaired everyone elses and you know thtas who you want t go with.

Be careful not to go somewhere that advertise.. Mortgages for everyone, CCJ/Low income/bancrupt etc. as you might find these charging you 2% arrangment fee on what you borrow!!!

i went to Frank Innes/Braford-Bingley on wheeler gate in Nottm. arragnemt fee was only about £200 with them to find best mortgage to suit me. remeber no matter who you go with there will be an arragment/booking fee with that lender on top!!
sometimes better 5 rates mean higher booking fees. But do your home work and you can save pounds over 25yrs!!!!

[Edited on 10-01-2007 by neoquip]

[Edited on 10-01-2007 by neoquip]
Dean_W

11th Jan 07 at 11:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Agree with what Neoquip says. Coulby conduct, the esate agent we got our house through tried to arrange us a mortgage. They only searched through 12 companies.

The mortgage advisor we went to searched hundreds and was really helpful.
neoquip

11th Jan 07 at 19:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dean_W
Agree with what Neoquip says. Coulby conduct, the esate agent we got our house through tried to arrange us a mortgage. They only searched through 12 companies.

The mortgage advisor we went to searched hundreds and was really helpful.

tnx, I do know what I'm on about when it comes to this, currently standing at 6 buy to let mortgages + 2 repayment mortgages over 8 properties. Mum says she doesn't know how I SLEEP AT NIGHT!! lol

I've three b/t/l mortgages with HSBC, there not the cheapest rate buy to lets you could have got from elsewhere, but there were no arrangment fee and the mortgage went straight through without any hic ups and it suited me at the time.

gwil0283

12th Jan 07 at 19:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thanks for the advice
its all new to me !
Ally

12th Jan 07 at 22:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good luck and let us know what you go for in the end

New Poll