corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Fancy learning to code?

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Fancy learning to code?
A2H GO

User status: Offline
11th Feb 12 at 13:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.codecademy.com

Great website, been doing it for weeks. Some really good exercises and its free.

Just thought some might be interested.
Fro

11th Feb 12 at 14:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Always fancied learning will have a look when I'm free
ashleh

11th Feb 12 at 15:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've been trying to motivate myself to learn some C# but seriously every time I start I just think I'll start tomorrow .
Cavey

11th Feb 12 at 16:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I can't stand coding, so incredibly boring when we did it in uni

However, im stuck as a postman at the moment so should really do something to try and improve my life.
Russ

11th Feb 12 at 16:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

var myHead = "hurts";
Paul_J

11th Feb 12 at 19:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cavey
I can't stand coding, so incredibly boring when we did it in uni

However, im stuck as a postman at the moment so should really do something to try and improve my life.

I've always enjoyed programming, ever since a kid on BBC Basic's - naturally progressed onto other languages growing up and always just found it really fun.

To be doing it as a job is good, as writing the code and problem solving to find good efficent / maintainable / extensible solutions is fun for me.

I notice a lot of people trying to learn to code these days, mainly because of the career opportunities or the media attention of films like social network, or even because it compliments their current skillset (e.g. quant developer).

However, there's a new term forming called a 'Brogrammer' - which is someone who's heart is not actually in programming at all, but rather they see it as a route to money / success / fame (e.g. want to be the next Zuckerberg).

The problem is, these people rarely actually enjoy doing the job and as soon as the clock hits 5:30pm they sign off and go home, not even wanting to look at code again. Not to mention when they try to fix a problem, they often just google for a code snippet and try to make it fit, rather than understand the problem and think about a solution.

Each to their own, but I think you have to enjoy coding to really set out to have a career in it.
Hammer

11th Feb 12 at 20:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Buzz fucking Killington.
noshua

11th Feb 12 at 22:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I like programming, currently doing quite a big programming based project as my final year project at Uni.

However some things do make me think about other IT related careers; old teacher said he worked for a bank and it was mind numbingly boring and chose to teach instead for a (massive) pay cut.

I also don't want to turn into an essay writing opportunist
Laney

11th Feb 12 at 22:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wanted to be Brogrammer but my Dad said I shouldn't so I didn't
John

11th Feb 12 at 22:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Only reason Paul_j likes coding is because he can bash a keyboard while he's at work. I notice concise isn't one of the thing his solutions are.
Ian
Site Administrator

11th Feb 12 at 23:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

At least spell BASIC correctly.
John

11th Feb 12 at 23:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

He probably didn't even mean BBC BASIC, probably meant he done some sort of programming on a BBC Micro until his dad told him to get a proper hobby.
Eddx14xe

12th Feb 12 at 01:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Quite enjoyed that. I got to number 8, doing the loops. Got it wrong twice so it was crashing my tablet . Can't get passed it.
Ian
Site Administrator

12th Feb 12 at 01:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ahh, calling the computer a Basic even though its proper name was the Micro. Now I'm clear.
chris_uk
Premium Member

12th Feb 12 at 09:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Paul_J
Each to their own, but I think you have to enjoy coding to really set out to have a career in it.

I think that applies to any job tbh.
ed

12th Feb 12 at 10:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Anyone do any Ruby programming? I want to learn Objective C properly and it's recommended you learn an object orientated language first. Ruby's open source so it looks like a good place to start?
Laney

12th Feb 12 at 11:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd probably recommend C++/C# over Ruby, but I'm no expert. You can get free versions of the Visual Studios for each IIRC.
John

12th Feb 12 at 12:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You still got an ac.uk email ed?

Microsoft dreamspark if so, get a free copy of proper visual studio, + various other software.
ed

12th Feb 12 at 12:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got an MSDN account so can get anything I like

Will have to have a look at Visual Studio as I already know C.
ed

12th Feb 12 at 12:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's weird though, I don't know what I need to learn. I already do object orientated PHP and JS, but they're not object orientated languages for one reason or another.
A2H GO

12th Feb 12 at 14:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Eddx14xe
Quite enjoyed that. I got to number 8, doing the loops. Got it wrong twice so it was crashing my tablet . Can't get passed it.

If you're into that sort of thing it gets quite addictive, I must have been on it for about 6-7 hours on Friday.

Its quite satisfying when you write a full block of code, click run and it runs through perfect first time. Its getting really tricky now though with methods and constructors to the point I'm starting to get a bit lost but managing to complete the exercises so might go back and do them again.

I'm not planning on being able to get a job coding but I do think the demand for people who can code C# and C++ and Objective C will rocket over the next 10 years.
ed

12th Feb 12 at 14:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That or more and more things will be available in the web browser and you'd code it in HTML5 and JS. Solidworks demonstrated their 3D CAD software as a service product last year which works in the web browser (and I don't think we're talking Flash or Silverlight here). Spotify let's you write apps to work within their desktop player in HTML5 and JS amd Windows 8 lets you write apps in a similar way too - things are getting interesting.
JordyCarter

12th Feb 12 at 14:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nice find, i tried VB before :\
A2H GO

12th Feb 12 at 16:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

All done apart from the blackjack game which I'm saving for when I'm bored.

The project in the Objects section was tricky to say the least. Definitely going to have to re-do that section to get my head around it. (think there's a glitch meaning you don't get the green tick by conditionals)

James

12th Feb 12 at 20:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Get a copy of SharpDevelop and learn .Net once you have mastered the basics of programming.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll