corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Ok, network geeks help me out pleeeeease!

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Ok, network geeks help me out pleeeeease!
LeeM

User status: Offline
4th Jan 12 at 19:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've got my wireless network set up in my room at uni, got a basic d-link router with my Bravia plugged in and iPad/iPhone/laptop/Xbox all connected wirelessly.
I connect through an ask4 portal which only allows one connection at a time, I've paid to upgrade but have to log into the portal and add a registered device and only those will connect to the Internet. The setup instructions said I had to disable dhcp (I don't know what this is but I know I disabled it) as part of the terms of service.

Moving on, nothing will communicate with each other on the network. To use my virtualdj controller on the iPad I had to connect it to the laptop using connectify and ignore my network completely. And my tv doesn't find the laptop as a media source (it's a Bravia Internet tv which has the same menu layout as the ps3)

Anyone know what I need to do so I actually have a network rather than just shared Internet between all the devices?

Cheers

[Edited on 04-01-2012 by LeeM]

Sam
Premium Member

4th Jan 12 at 19:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

DHCP assigns each device on a network an internal IP address like 192.168.0.2 or similar - I'm guessing Ask4's service does this themselves hence your requirement to disable DHCP on your router.

Can each device connect to the Internet?
LeeM

4th Jan 12 at 19:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah internets fine on all devices. When I go on the ask4 site it shows each devices ip address and they're all very different. I assume for devices to communicate they need to have ip's in range of each other?
If that's right I don't really know what much of it means
Sam
Premium Member

4th Jan 12 at 19:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah each device on a network is assigned an IP address.

Do they not have a rep in your halls or common room you can ask about this?

[Edited on 04-01-2012 by Sam]
LeeM

4th Jan 12 at 20:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nope. I'll fire them an email. I wanted to try and get the basics down so I had a bit of a clue about what they tell me
Sam
Premium Member

4th Jan 12 at 20:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh OK. You might find they probably don't allow what you're wanting to do TBH (which is to set up your own local area network) because of the way they've set up their network.

In any case though, deffo ask them and post back here.
LeeM

4th Jan 12 at 20:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's a good point actually, is there any reason for security or anything that would make them ban LANs?
Sam
Premium Member

4th Jan 12 at 20:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It would be for security if they've set you up the way I think they've set you up.

Are your IP addresses similar out of interest - i.e. 192.168.0.2, 192.168.0.3, or do they have completely different numbers?
LeeM

4th Jan 12 at 20:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tv laptop and iPad are all the same with 2.248 2.249 and 2.250 at the end, iPhone is 1.116
LeeM

4th Jan 12 at 20:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Interesting, laptop iphone andiPad are now communicating fine. Earlier on all of the ip addresses were completely different.
LeeM

4th Jan 12 at 20:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tv doesn't pick anything up though
Sam
Premium Member

4th Jan 12 at 20:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They might have assigned you IP addresses to one subnet (which means all your devices will be able to communicate with each other, but no one else in your halls can see your devices and vice-versa).
Sam
Premium Member

4th Jan 12 at 20:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can you reset your network config on your TV?
LeeM

4th Jan 12 at 20:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have no idea
Sam
Premium Member

4th Jan 12 at 20:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Pull the ethernet cable out the back of the TV for a few seconds and put it back in
LeeM

4th Jan 12 at 20:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ok! The iTunes and virtualdj remotes are now working fine between laptop and i's. Bu there's a Sony tv remote I want to get working and when I load it up it just doesn't find the tv, and the tv likewise can't find my computer when I go to music/video sections but it is connected to the net because I player works
Sam
Premium Member

4th Jan 12 at 20:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Does your TV remote connection not work like normal ones do then?
LeeM

4th Jan 12 at 20:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sorry, a tv remote app on the iPhone. Not essential just cool...

I've just done server diagnostic check on the tv, shown me 8 servers and the status for them all is fail. But they're all other people's pcs and laptops. Does that mean the problem is with my laptop not sharing it's data rather than the network itself.
LeeM

4th Jan 12 at 20:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fuck it, plugged my hard drive into the tv USB port and can just watch through that. It's a new tv I'm just
Earnin how everything works
Sam
Premium Member

4th Jan 12 at 20:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I never knew you could get a remote control iPhone app for a TV Might see if I can get one for ours!

I think it might be down to how Ask4 have set your network up rather than anything you're doing TBH.
LeeM

4th Jan 12 at 20:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's Sony specific the remote I've got, only works with Bravia Internet tvs. There might be more on the app store for other brands but it looked cool and I wanted to try it
Main job is done now, primarily wanted to be able to use my iPad to control the various programmes on my laptop which I can now do, but cheers for your help I understand what's goin on Witt the connection now
Dom

4th Jan 12 at 21:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Had the same issue when I was at halls where devices would end being on different subnets. Was, apparently, due to how they had to handle the multiple lease lines (say lease lines, it was 20 odd 8MB ADSL lines; connection was shite at best but this was back in 2005) but it was a pain in the arse if you fancied transferring files around between room mates or wanted a quick network game of Quake etc.

Simplest solution is to use DHCP on your router and set it to retrieve a dynamic IP address WAN(/internet/external) side; make sure the DHCP LAN (/internal) IP address range is different enough to the IP address range(s) your halls network gives you.
Any equipment connected to your router will be on the same network and therefore they should be able to 'see' each other. And your halls network will only see one device, your router.

I also had to 'spoof' the MAC address on my router to my PC, you should have the option of setting the routers MAC address in the config pages, as it was against T&C's and a finable offence if anyone was caught using a router.

[Edited on 04-01-2012 by Dom]
LeeM

4th Jan 12 at 21:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm allowed to use the router, and with everything working but the tv I'm just gonna leave as is. They've cut people off for breaking the rules and that's the last thing I need lol!
They've not bothered with me torrenting 100gb a month so I don't want to attract any unnecessary attention to my connection...

Dom

4th Jan 12 at 22:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Chances are you'll run into this issue again if one of your devices does a renew on the IP address and obtains one on a different subnet. 'Double NATing' would sort that but your choice.

New Poll