corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » C20XE R1 Carbs - Management?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author C20XE R1 Carbs - Management?
dragon2309

User status: Offline
4th Jan 12 at 12:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ok, so I'm looking at rebuilding a c20xe in the next few months and really like the idea of running carbs. Bike carbs seem the easiest and cheapest to have a play with but I'm getting a little confused with management.

I've googled it a little bit but conflicting opinions and results aren't really solid enough to draw any conclusions.

So basically, on a late dispack c20xe, do I NEED to run 3rd party management to be able to run r1 carbs? Is it a necessity or just a preferred extra? If I do need to run management, what one is easiest and cheapest to get running? Would I replace the Vaux ecu entirely or is it a piggy back scenario?

Any and all suggestions and advice welcome, definitely not new to auto electrics but new to c20xe's running carbs lol.

Cheers all, Dave
Gary
Premium Member

4th Jan 12 at 12:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

MegaSquirt/MegaJolt is cheap and easy iirc.

But it all depends on who's gonna map it. Speak to them and ask what they know how to map.
Edges 58

4th Jan 12 at 12:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is it easier to change the exhaust cam to run a dizzy set up from a mk2 cav then simple power feed to coil, dizzy and job done?
Gary
Premium Member

4th Jan 12 at 12:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can the XE ECU be mapped to run on TPS alone? If it can then a dizzy setup would be easy, but you'll get a better map with a coilpack and proper management
dragon2309

4th Jan 12 at 13:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So if I used a dizzy engine, I could get it to run without management?

That being said, on a discpack engine, is the management only there to control ignition then?

I see the carbs have their own TPS. Does this get wired into the xe ecu then if I don't run management.

Also, megajolt for example, would this completely replace the xe ecu or piggy back off of it?

Thanks for the replies
corsa-vxr

4th Jan 12 at 15:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

best way to do it is use a dizzy engine and use the 1.6 cavy set up seems the easiest way of doing it
corsa-vxr

4th Jan 12 at 15:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

here you go mate all the info you will need to do it http://www.totalvauxhall.co.uk/files/2010/10/64BIKECARBS1.pdf
dragon2309

4th Jan 12 at 19:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks corsa-vxr, i've had a read through that, and although it looks great for the mechanicla side of it, not sure it completely covers my many questions on the management, lol.

I've looked at so many sites on my phone at work today and half-read most of them that i'm getting a little confused.

When you use megasquirt as management does it completely replace the xe ecu? or do you need the xe ecu to stay for certain functions?
corsadonk
Premium Member

4th Jan 12 at 20:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The easiest and cheapest way, is to get a adjust dizzy like you get on a old MK2 1.6 Cav. But if you ring H&H Ignition they will supply you everything you need.

The next step will be mappable ignition, i.e Megajolt. But most companies will be able to supply a ingntion only ECU.

You'll need to forget the GM ECU and loom, and go standalone. The issue I found when trying to us Megajolt, is mounting the 32-1 trigger wheel. Which flew off my crank pulley.

To do it again, I would just use a Cav dizzy from H&H. Which is more than up to the job.
dragon2309

4th Jan 12 at 20:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Been looking into this some more, for the price I may aswell just buy a full megasquirt ecu... and stick with a dispack engine. Think thats the best way to do it (possibly not the cheapest, but most correct).

A brand new MS II v3 ecu and loom is a smidge over £400.

Also, you mentioned the 32-1 wheel for the ignition trigger. Surely can you not use the output from the vaux crank sensor with a full megasquirt ecu? would assume i can.

And yeh, after looking some more on the computer, rather than on an iphone in my breaks at work, lol, its a bit obvious that with a full ecu that handles both ignition and fuelling theres no need for the vaux stuff to stay put. Cannibilise the XE loom for the plugs and wiring to the sensors, then mate the releveant MS stuff up to it, loom wrap it and jobs a goodun after mapping.
corsadonk
Premium Member

4th Jan 12 at 21:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

With carbs you can't control the fueling, which is why I said about ignition only. You'll want throttle bodies if you've got MS.

Trigger wheel wise, Megasquirt only tend to work on the Ford EDIS set up, which is 32-1.

Webber, and MBE do a mappable ignition that will work with the GM trigger wheel.

If you don't mind paying the extra, then go for bodies. You can then control the fuel, and spark. Which will give you the most power, and best MPG.
dragon2309

4th Jan 12 at 22:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Aah ok, makes mroe sense now, of course you cant control fuelling with carbs, getting ahead of myself.

Is there a UK agent for megajolt? Can only seem to find it on US websites.

Also, what are the cheapest bodies to run? Not after massive power, this is just a long term project, something to play around with and keep me busy.

corsadonk
Premium Member

5th Jan 12 at 07:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Trigger wheels are a uk company.

You can get a set of bike bodies for £100.
dragon2309

5th Jan 12 at 20:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

been looking through triggerwheels.com site today, good stuff on there, nice site.

I want something fun to have on the car, easy to play about with and a little bit different tot he run of the mill standard XE with a powercap shoved on.

So think I'll most likely get the megajolt kit they sell on there, for the xe, comes with edis coilpack and new sensors and everythign. If I'm gonna do it might aswell do it properly witha ll new bits. Only £275 for the whole kit. Which when i was looking at £400 plus for a megasquirt II is pretty cheap..

Hopefully can pick up some carbs that have been on a xe already, that way wont have to mess around swapping jets or drilling out. Hopefully would come with the xe-carb manifold from bogg bros aswell.

Are there other manifolds i can use if i cnt find one cheap? £180 for just a manifold is a bit steep.
corsadonk
Premium Member

5th Jan 12 at 21:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I sold my full kit with Megajolt, and a boggs manifold, fuel pump the lot for £500. On ebay.
dragon2309

5th Jan 12 at 21:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Seems a lot at first tbh, until i actually think about what they are brand new...

Manifold £170 from BB, £270 for megajolt, £150 for carbs, £50-odd for the right low pressure FP. Soon adds up.

What i need is someone selling just the carbs ready for an xe and the manifold.. lol.. thenc an buy other bits on their own when the bargains come along.

New Poll