corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » E46 M3

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author E46 M3
Graham88

User status: Offline
4th Dec 11 at 02:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not really going to be much of a project thread as it's already a pretty sorted motor but I thought it would still interest some by putting pics of the bits I do to it. Bought this last month to replace my Mazda 3 MPS as a car that should be more suitable for trackdays.

The spec is:

2004 BMW M3
49k miles
Imola Red
KW V3's with Clupsport upgrade on the front & been fully setup by Thorney
BBS CH's
AP brakes front & rear
Pagid RS29's
Schrick Cams
Supersprint Manifold
Miltek Exhaust
CSL bootlid
CSL Carbon exhaust surround
Recaro Bucket Seats
Xenons
Auto lights
Auto wipers
Harmon Kardon sound system
DVD player
Sat Nav

So aswell as the trackday bits it's a good spec aswell for normal driving as I still like my creature comforts aswell.

Pics just after picking up:

The car came with Michelin Pilot Cup Sports which are pure trackday tyres and require a fair bit of heat before they work properly. So my first thing seeing as it was my first RWD car was to get some 'normal' road tyres on. Bit of a financial hit considering I'd just bought it but it had to be done.

Went for these after much consideration and research as the best all rounder, especially going into winter time.

First thing to do after this was to get it cleaned properly. Most who know me know I can be pretty anal about cleaning as I have been known to take rear lights out etc to clean behind them and stuff like that But I just wanted to give the paint a bit of a freshen up as the bloke said he kept it polished but then said he last polished it in May or something. Considering I normally polish my cars at least once a month this shocked me a bit But apart from some rubber and tar up the side it was in pretty good condition when I clayed it.
It's the first time I've clayed a car as I've always thought it would take so long but I spent about an hour on it and you could really feel it working in places, paintwork felt like glass after when polishing it.

The week after buying it my mate said about a Novice Day at Brands having loads of spaces as a few mates were doing it so I decided to get some experience in the car and jump on at the last minute

Loved the day and the car performed faultlessly and made me very happy with my purchase. You could just tell the bloke had spent alot of time setting it up and the amount of turn in the car has being RWD was mental. My Mazda used to be a fight between steering & power but this was a different league. Had my first RWD moment aswell coming round Clearways, all day I'd been battling with traction control and me being me decided I was better than that so turned it off and you can see what happened just after 7mins 50secs in the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vRUdIY96Lw

I kept TC off for the rest of the day but I really learned alot about the N/A response over the turbo of the Mazda and was starting to get the hang of it by the end of the day.

Then the next week was the South East CS RR Day at Hayes Engineering in Erith.

To say I was expecting better results is an understatement really as it rollered 304bhp

Obviously I wasn't best happy really and got on the M3 forums to see what was going on, and basically it should have been rollered in 3rd instead of 4th (which all 6 speed cars are rollered in) but for some reason the M3's don't like it and you need to do the gear closest to 100mph. Bob has invited me back to do a run in 3rd to see how it comes out but I haven't got around to it yet but will be interesting to see if it makes any difference.
I should add here that the car came with printouts ranging from 350bhp to 375bhp all from Thorney who did all the work on the car. If you'd like to take a look at the tyre pressures on the bottom of the graph it might explain these figures, but I'm not about to turn this into a Thorney slagging match.

So naturally I thought that something was wrong so I booked it into another dyno for the following week at Track N Road in Rainham as I believe these are probably one of the most accurate rollers around and with some of the most knowledgeable dyno operators around. Fords used their rollers to develop the new RS500 and even Thorney use their rollers for more accurate results as the runs are always within 1% of each other due to the design of the rollers.

So she was strapped up and after chatting with Steve he said he was going to run it in 3rd as otherwise it'll hit the speed limiter. When I told him there wasn't one he said he'd run it in 6th, despite me saying I was told to run it in 3rd he insisted so I let him do what he wanted as he is far more knowledgeable than me!

After hitting a whopping 197mph and me not able to hear myself think due to the noise it made 324bhp, a bit better but still not even the 343bhp that BMW claim the car makes.

After a long talk and a phonecall to a guy that used to work for M Power, his response to the car making 324bhp was "that's good!" After him explaining that basically the figure BMW release (and they used to do it on the M5's, and other car manufacturers used to do it but can't anymore due to law) is from an engine out of the car, no gearbox, water pump, aircon etc basically anything that can slow the engine down. So it is just the raw power of the engine. So by the time you bolt all that on a brand new M3 was lucky to make 320bhp. You'd be pissed right? Hence they can't do it anymore as it's basically being mis-sold a car.
So basically he said apart from the fuelling (it's hitting 14.5 AFR up to 4k RPM) it's a pretty good figure and unless I want to chase BHP which on an N/A can get very expensive, I would just be happy with it aslong as it drives fine. And it drives the nuts, so I am happy.

Couple of arty photos from the RR day

Next step was private plate to put on, love how it looks without the plate

The back seats had already been stripped out of the car when I bought it. Seeing as the non reclining Recaros mean it's almost impossible to get into the back it was pointless even running them so I decided I might aswell take some more weight out as it looked like more of a half job as it was.

How it started

How it is so far

Bits removed

Still a few bits to come out like the rear seatbelts but nothing major. I took the door card off to make it easier to remove other bits and contemplated leaving them off but I changed my mind as it looked a bit too plain without them.

Just got to remove the sound deadening and it will be getting a rear cage at some point so I will be making a call or a trip to Nickson Motorsport to discuss what to put in but I've got a pretty good idea of what I want, I think a cage would finish the car off to be honest as pretty much everything else is there.

And that's where the car is up until now
Steve
Premium Member

4th Dec 11 at 02:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nice

Once you start it never stops at just a few small bits lol
Graham88

4th Dec 11 at 02:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I know but I'm still trying to convince myself that that's the case
big eck

4th Dec 11 at 03:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

197mph is fuckin impressive. It does look superb tho.
Edges 58

4th Dec 11 at 08:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Love this car!! In relation to your rear door cards decision... Carbon???
Anty
Premium Member

4th Dec 11 at 08:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have you based this of a model car !! looks awsome ... The Wheels really suit the car.
TimC909

4th Dec 11 at 10:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Need a car like this in my life. Awesome.
Jambo

4th Dec 11 at 11:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Like your plate too dude. Interesting about power figures too!
Graham88

4th Dec 11 at 12:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks peeps :-)

quote:
Originally posted by big eck
197mph is fuckin impressive. It does look superb tho.

Obviously it'll never reach that speed but it's still cool to say the cars capable of 197
quote:
Originally posted by Edges 58
Love this car!! In relation to your rear door cards decision... Carbon???

Did cross my mind, as I want to keep the tweeter that's in there really as when I unplugged it to take the doorcard off it made a big difference to the sound. My problem is it would have to be such a perfect fit or I wouldn't be happy with it!
Jamie-C

4th Dec 11 at 12:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Your mad stripping an M3, I wouldn't have the balls Stunning looking car though mate. 197mph too
Graham88

4th Dec 11 at 15:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wouldn't have the balls either fortunately the guy already had the back seats out & you can't get in the back so might aswell continue the theme :-)
John G

4th Dec 11 at 15:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

same as above i couldnt bare to start striping it out, if your not chasing bhp figures or times, merely enjoying the car on track, i would have left the seats, the lot in the back, as it looks alot better in my eyes.
Ben-B

4th Dec 11 at 15:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im in love. gorgeous car!
Tomnova16
Premium Member

4th Dec 11 at 15:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That power figure is a bit strange as mine made 315bhp at torque of the devil??
It was before the remap too
Looks better with private plates though

[Edited on 04-12-2011 by Tomnova16]

http://www.lemass.co.uk/ for all your automotive/bodyshop needs
Located in Chalfont st Peter
Gareth T

4th Dec 11 at 17:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Lovely car, comfortable & powerful at the same time, id love one.
M Sutton

4th Dec 11 at 17:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Stunning motor! Fair play for taking it on track a week after ownership.
big eck

4th Dec 11 at 19:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm surprised you haven't bought the standard 18" wheels for it as most use them for track days.
Graham88

5th Dec 11 at 00:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John G
same as above i couldnt bare to start striping it out, if your not chasing bhp figures or times, merely enjoying the car on track, i would have left the seats, the lot in the back, as it looks alot better in my eyes.

But I am chasing times or maybe not so much that but trying to go round a track as fast as possible, plus as I say the Recaros mean there is barely no way of getting in the back, I can just about squeeze in but it's not exactly convenient Once it's got a cage in the back will look much better
quote:
Originally posted by Tomnova16

Why is that strange then? Mine made 10bhp more with the mods and map, from an N/A that's probably about right I'm guessing?
Thanks I love it makes the car look more expensive than the 04 plate
quote:
Originally posted by M Sutton
Stunning motor! Fair play for taking it on track a week after ownership.

Best way to learn a car mate
quote:
I'm surprised you haven't bought the standard 18" wheels for it as most use them for track days.

Not enough width on them mate, only 8J or 8.5J and my rears on the BBS's are 10J. I want to get wheels for track in 18" purely for cheaper tyres, but I want to keep the wheels as close to the BBS spec so it doesn't affect the suspension setup too much.
DansCorsaSXi
Organiser: Yorkshire
Premium Member

5th Dec 11 at 00:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Really like that mate,stance is amazing!

Star silver C20XE SXi Project thread

Smoke Grey Corsa GSi Project thread
mike56gte

5th Dec 11 at 03:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lovely car mate!

and nice save coming on to the straight at brands hatch! got a bit sideways
Tomnova16
Premium Member

5th Dec 11 at 12:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Graham88
quote:
Originally posted by Tomnova16

Why is that strange then? Mine made 10bhp more with the mods and map, from an N/A that's probably about right I'm guessing?
Thanks I love it makes the car look more expensive than the 04 plate

whoops i originally put
mine made close to 340 then found the old thread with my bhp and realised it was wrong so changed it but forgot to change the wording

http://www.lemass.co.uk/ for all your automotive/bodyshop needs
Located in Chalfont st Peter
Graham88

5th Dec 11 at 13:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ah gonna go up to R-Tech as he's really friendly and a few of my mates won't use anyone else so he said he would do some logs and see if there is any parameters he can play with. Other than that I'm not going to spend fortunes chasing BHP as it drives absolutely fine.

quote:
Originally posted by mike56gte
and nice save coming on to the straight at brands hatch! got a bit sideways

Learning curve my friend
Warren G

5th Dec 11 at 13:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

btw Thorney graphs always over read, take thorney mapped VXR's for example....
big eck

5th Dec 11 at 14:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

All these big engined cars are the same when it comes to power figures I think mate. The RS4 for example makes o where near the quoted 414bhp as 380bhp is about the norm. Wouldn't put me off owning one tho
Graham88

5th Dec 11 at 15:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Warren G

btw Thorney graphs always over read, take thorney mapped VXR's for example....

Thanks Warren. I have a couple of mates with VXR's who've told me horror stories, I guess it could be the same for any tuner and this isn't a horror story as such, just a bit annoying
quote:
All these big engined cars are the same when it comes to power figures I think mate. The RS4 for example makes o where near the quoted 414bhp as 380bhp is about the norm. Wouldn't put me off owning one tho

Same Have you seen how cheap the RS4's are getting

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » E46 M3 24 database queries in 0.1905758 seconds