corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Headphone recommendations

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Headphone recommendations
Joe

User status: Offline
31st Oct 11 at 18:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Going away in a couple of weeks so got a long flight coming up, Any suggestions.. Looking to spend £60 tops really.
pow
Premium Member

31st Oct 11 at 18:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

+1 be interested to hear. Bluetooth ones would be cool too
jacko198

31st Oct 11 at 18:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wouldnt bother with headphones for a flight, in ears would sound better especially on a plane
Dom

31st Oct 11 at 19:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Over-ears, second hand pair of Grado's sr60's or sr125's can be had for £60 and they are absolutely brilliant. Even better if you can get a headphone amp to power them.
In-ears, the Senn's CX870 are pretty decent for that sort of money also Head-Direct RE2's and RE1's if you can get hold of a pair.
Fischer Audio and Audio Technica are also worth looking at for headphones.

I'd see if you can try out a few pairs though as it's all a matter of opinion/taste (ie: AKGk450's - i think they sound like cack, far too bass/mid heavy to the point of muddiness and sound like they're being played through a loo roll tube. But they they get fairly good reviews so go figure.)
Also worth having a scout of Head-fi.org forums, loads of decent reviews/threads etc.

Jacko - over-ears would be fine, certainly i've worn my DT250's on long flights without any problems. Only issue you'd have is sound leaking but a decent pair of closed-backs (vs open-backed) would be ok.
You tend to have comfort issues wearing in-ears/IEM's over any lengthy amount of time unless moulded.

[Edited on 31-10-2011 by Dom]
Joe

31st Oct 11 at 19:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

To be honest, I'm not much of a tech guy and not great with this whole sound quality thing.

Apparantly the Bose system in my car is shit according to the internet but to my ears it sounds great.

So basically just looking for a brand suggestion so I don't buy something too cheap and nasty.

Looking at the over the head type ones as opposed to in ear ones. Someone got to help a brother out.
Joe

31st Oct 11 at 19:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Those AKG's look ok to me..
Dom

31st Oct 11 at 19:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As said, second-hand pair for Grado SR60/SR125's for that sort of money; or add 30/40 quid a buy a new pair of SR60's (SR125's are around the £100-120 range from what I remember). A reasonable pair of in-ears can be had for £60 but not over-ears/full size, ideally you need around double that.

Could give the AKG K450's a try, they're only £40, compact and come with a decent carry case for phones + ipod etc But as I said, I thought they sounded rough as and lacked any treble. Yet to try to them with a headphone amp but i can't imagine even a decent amp would sort them out.

quote:
Originally posted by Joe
Those AKG's look ok to me..

I would really try them before you buy though. I'd imagine Curry's/Argos/John Lewis would stock them.

Joe

31st Oct 11 at 19:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers Dom, will have a look around a bit more then. Total minefield to me.
Balling
Premium Member

31st Oct 11 at 19:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I will not recommend Grado for plane travel. My SR80i's sound fantastic at home, but in a noisy plane I have to crank the volume a lot which becomes uncomfortable after a while.

I have a pair of Shure SRH240 that I've used on four 7+ hour flights now. Fantastic headphones. Completely isolated from outside noise and very comfortable.
Only letdown is that they take up quite a bit of room in your inflight luggage. I just wear them around the neck and pretend I'm a DJ...
http://www.iheadphones.co.uk/shure-srh240.html

Dom

31st Oct 11 at 19:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Joe
Cheers Dom, will have a look around a bit more then. Total minefield to me.

It's no different to buying a pair of speakers tbh, it's just as expensive except it's a bit harder to try headphones out. As said though, have a look on head-fi as there is a load of information on there.

And if you plan on using headphones for any real length of time i would really recommend a headphone amp (even a cheapy CMOY which can picked up off eBay for £20/30) especially if you use an iPod as source which tend to distort reasonably easily and the internal amp lacks any real grunt to power anything (you'd bypass the internal amp on an iPad by using the line-out connectors on the dock connector rather than the headphone output).

Balling - Surprised by that although I haven't tried the SR60's on a flight yet. Different pads might sort that though....

Balling
Premium Member

31st Oct 11 at 19:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

BTW I have a set of AKG K430's that I find to be a good buy at the price. However, though not as bad as the Grado's, they too let in a lot of outside noise.
For a small, compact, closed back headphone I think they're extremely potent.

Jake

31st Oct 11 at 19:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

go on amazon and have a look around.. read the reviews and that. fuck buying second hand headphones
Dom

31st Oct 11 at 19:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If the K430's are anything like the K420's then they might be a good shout as the 420's were alright for the money and were no where near as muddled as the K450's.

K518's and K81's might be worth looking at, as well as Sony MDRV6's.

Edit - Looks like the K450 have it 'cranked' on the bottom end - Freq Response's

quote:
Originally posted by Jake
go on amazon and have a look around.. read the reviews and that. fuck buying second hand headphones

In-ears yes, over-ears/full size not really as everything can pretty much be cleaned if that's your worry.

Balling
Premium Member

31st Oct 11 at 20:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
If the K430's are anything like the K420's then they might be a good shout as the 420's were alright for the money and were no where near as muddled as the K450's.

Can't comment on the 420's and 450's but for my music taste, which is mostly rock, I find the 430's quite good, price tag in consideration and all.

Munchie

1st Nov 11 at 12:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

www.play.com enter HEADPHONES10 for a 10% discount
pow
Premium Member

2nd Nov 11 at 12:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Second hand headphones Please.
Neo

2nd Nov 11 at 13:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Personally I'd just go looking for a set of sennheiser's or shures that are the top end of my budget and read a few reviews. Can't really go wrong.
Marc

2nd Nov 11 at 13:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pow

Agreed, that is pretty grim!
Balling
Premium Member

2nd Nov 11 at 13:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Marc
quote:
Originally posted by pow

How so?

If looking at say a 130 £ pair of headphones I would gladly go for a used pair at half price.

Matty W

2nd Nov 11 at 14:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tkmaxx were selling WESC oboes for £30 when I went in 2 weeks ago. Nice clear sound, clear bass. Braided protection on the cable. Best headphones I've owned
Dom

2nd Nov 11 at 16:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Balling
quote:
Originally posted by Marc
quote:
Originally posted by pow

How so?

If looking at say a 130 £ pair of headphones I would gladly go for a used pair at half price.

This! Considering headphones can run into serious money, eg - Audeze's, buying second-hand is the only real affordable way of doing it. If you were talking about in-ears/IEMs then i would agree with you as parts aren't easily accessible. But as i said previously, on a decent set of over-heads everything can be broken down (pads, enclosures, drivers, headband etc) and cleaned (or replaced) so there isn't a problem there.
To be honest it's no different to buying a second-hand pair speakers.

music1990 - What model are they? Oboe's (think that's what they're called)?

[Edited on 02-11-2011 by Dom]
Balling
Premium Member

2nd Nov 11 at 17:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by music1990
Tkmaxx were selling WESC oboes for £30 when I went in 2 weeks ago. Nice clear sound, clear bass. Braided protection on the cable. Best headphones I've owned

quote:
Originally posted by Dom

I think this is the first time I've actually heard a genuinely positive statement about a pair of WESC headphones.
I've always had the feeling they were made as a piece of accessory more than a piece of hifi.

Dom

2nd Nov 11 at 19:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Balling
quote:
Originally posted by music1990

quote:
Originally posted by Dom

Amazon (was posted on Hukd) have the Klipsch X1 in-ears on sale at £15 which is a decent price for those.
ed

2nd Nov 11 at 19:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nothing wrong with a second hand set. Going to get a Bose headset sometime soon and there's no way I'm forking out £750 for it when you can get a second hand ones that have been serviced e.t.c for a lot less than that.

But back to topic, I had a go with some Sennheiser over-ears in your price range in Black the other day which were very good. I can't remember the model number, but it's worth having a look at their range I'd say.

New Poll