corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » SYSPREP [long post warning]

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author SYSPREP [long post warning]
Sam
Premium Member

User status: Offline
5th Oct 11 at 09:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Anybody here familiar with the SYSPREP tool on Windows?

What I normally do when I install Windows is I press control + shift + F3 at the registered name/company name screen on the Windows installation, install drivers/apps etc. specific to that computer and then run sysprep /oobe /shutdown when I'm done so the next time the system is turned on it shows the end user the screens where they have to enter the Windows license key and their name etc. to finish setup.

I have here an old laptop with XP on it and an OEM license key. I only have retail Windows CDs so I normally overcome this problem by using the XP Product Key changer program from Microsoft after XP is installed, which asks for the license key, converts the install from retail to OEM and then activates it online.

In the case of this particular laptop, I want the end user to accept the license agreement and enter the license key as per what would normally happen if I do it the usual SYSPREP way, rather than pre-activating it for them and them not having to accept the license agreement.

Is there any way around this at all? Should I just try to obtain a generic OEM CD?
pow
Premium Member

5th Oct 11 at 09:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi
Steve
Premium Member

5th Oct 11 at 09:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

iv used it before but only to generate a new SID for cloned PCS on the same network.

ended up using a tool could newsid, which is quicker then sysprep, wont do what you want though
pow
Premium Member

5th Oct 11 at 09:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can do what you're asking.

The Sysprep tool for Windows XP is housed on the CD under Support\Tools\Deploy.cab (open the cab and sysprep is in there.

I think you can create a unattend.xml that DOESN'T accept the user agreement. I've done it with kids laptops here
pow
Premium Member

5th Oct 11 at 09:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
iv used it before but only to generate a new SID for cloned PCS on the same network.

ended up using a tool could newsid, which is quicker then sysprep, wont do what you want though

NewSID is dirty, never use it if you can avoid it.
Steve
Premium Member

5th Oct 11 at 09:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

havent used it for years, use RIS and MDS these days
pow
Premium Member

5th Oct 11 at 09:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Anyone using Windows XP in an office environment should be shot now IMO.
Steve
Premium Member

5th Oct 11 at 10:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

do you want a fight you fucking twat

we use RIS where any clients are still using XP and MDS for server 2008/win7 setups
pow
Premium Member

5th Oct 11 at 10:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's called WDS these days Steve

Server 2003/XP is sooo fucking outdated now, offices should be upgrading now!
Sam
Premium Member

5th Oct 11 at 10:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Shitloads of people still use XP in business environments TBH (even 2000 in some cases).
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

5th Oct 11 at 10:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pow
Anyone using Windows XP in an office environment should be shot now IMO.

What a fucking stupid comment. Around 60% of all the clients i work for still use XP. Alot of high end applications still dont work on windows 7. In the enviroment your use to (schools etc) i can see where you are coming from as they are pretty much top notch when it comes to software/hardware upgrades.
pow
Premium Member

5th Oct 11 at 10:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My Dad's company still use XPP and IE6 FFS
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

i even have a site that has an NT4 server! its runs there whole network!
Steve
Premium Member

5th Oct 11 at 10:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah WDS sorry not with it
pow
Premium Member

5th Oct 11 at 10:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Your joking right? Every network I look after is now windows 7/Server 2008 R2 with the ODD Vista Business client knocking around. And I have a plan to upgrade all of them

[Edited on 05-10-2011 by pow]
Steve
Premium Member

5th Oct 11 at 10:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

fk u
pow
Premium Member

5th Oct 11 at 10:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hi
Sam
Premium Member

5th Oct 11 at 11:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

OK I have tried to reseal the existing install and it loads up the license agreement and key entry screens etc. but because it was installed with a retail CD it's moaning that the key is invalid (it's an OEM key, COA attached to the base of the laptop).

I have now decided to experiment using a retail XP disc, changing the volume label and the PID value in i386\setupp.ini, burning it using nLite and installing off that burnt CD.

No idea whether this will work or not though!

[Edited on 05-10-2011 by Sam]
Dom

5th Oct 11 at 11:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Surely nabbing an OEM disc would sort this? Although you can pee around with the PID on the setupp.ini file and get a retail CD to accept an OEM license.

As for the upgrading debate, XP is tried and tested, Win7 is not however which is why a lot of enterprise companies haven't made the swap. And as Vrs said, a lot of software fails to work with newer OS's.

Edit - Changing the PID to 51882OEM will allow an OEM license on a retail disc apparently

[Edited on 05-10-2011 by Dom]
Sam
Premium Member

5th Oct 11 at 11:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah but the retail discs I have include SP3, the ones from the special shops only seem to go up to SP2 for OEM.

I suppose I could slipstream SP3 onto a SP2 disc but then not much point considering I've altered my retail SP3 to be OEM (whether it works is another matter, currently installing XP on the laptop using said disc so I'll report back later ).
John

5th Oct 11 at 11:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why do you not just install it and not worry about EULA?
Sam
Premium Member

5th Oct 11 at 12:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If it was just me selling the laptop then yeah I wouldn't bother, but because it's my company that's going to sell it I want to make sure it's all legal and above board TBH.
John

5th Oct 11 at 12:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nobody would ever know, ever.
pow
Premium Member

5th Oct 11 at 13:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I can't see anyone ever being bothered, what make is the laptop Sammy boy? I have a fair few OEM XP discs here
Sam
Premium Member

5th Oct 11 at 13:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's some really ancient thing with a 3.5" floppy drive built in

Clevo D22ES or something like that.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll