corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » WiFi range extender help!?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author WiFi range extender help!?
Matty W

User status: Offline
1st Sep 11 at 19:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ive had a range extender in my room for the past 2 years. always been fine.
started having trouble with our modem so i got my step dad to get on to virgin to find out what was up. he's rang this morning to see if there were any problems. the bell end on the other end has put a password on the main router some how.

so the conection dropped out in my room, thought nothing of it as it does sometimes, but after an hour i wondered what was up. so went up to find my step dad browsing away fine upstairs.

my problem now is, my repeater was set up when the router wasnt password protected. now that it is, i need to change the settings on my repeater. following the instructions written for vista ( im on windows 7 now ) i found out i needed to change the TCP/IPv4 ip address to the one in the manual but on pressing ok, i got a message saying that another process was using that ip adress and that if i continued they would both run together ( i havent a clue about that ) it then says to go into my browser (IE) and enter the i.p. address written on the bottom of the repeater. when i press enter, it takes about a minute and then comes up with server could not be found. any ideas???
Sam
Premium Member

1st Sep 11 at 20:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can't use the same IP address on the same network.

When you say the router is now password protected, do you mean it now has a wireless password? Or are you referring to the admin login to the router?
Matty W

1st Sep 11 at 20:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it has a wireless password.
basicly, the modem feeds the main router. the main router feeds my extender. because a password has been applyed to the router, my extender cant get access without configuration.. my problem is getting to the configuration through what sitecom call "web management interface" which is typing an i.p. adress into the adress bar to gain access to the router settings
John

1st Sep 11 at 20:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If the extender connects via a router the modem and any passwords on it are irrelevant to the extender, it's only the router that it connects to.
Matty W

1st Sep 11 at 20:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
If the extender connects via a router the modem and any passwords on it are irrelevant to the extender, it's only the router that it connects to.

the password is on the router, not the modem. so the extender that is trying to piggyback off the router needs to know the password in order to use it.
John

1st Sep 11 at 20:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That makes sense then.

It sounds like you'll have to reset the extender, which gives it a default IP, set your laptop IP to a static one on the same subnet as the extender to access it?
Matty W

1st Sep 11 at 20:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
That makes sense then.

It sounds like you'll have to reset the extender, which gives it a default IP, set your laptop IP to a static one on the same subnet as the extender to access it?

yeah thats where my knowlege runs out.. i can reset the extender but i dont know anything about static ip or subnet
John

1st Sep 11 at 20:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://blog.mclaughlinsoftware.com/2009/11/26/windows-7-static-ip/
Matty W

1st Sep 11 at 20:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks i'll try that in the morning
Dom

1st Sep 11 at 21:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If the extenders default IP is conflicting with another device (chances are it's the router), just switch the router off (and possibly any other wireless device except your computer), boot the extender and log in and change the IP and then reboot the router and extender.

Unless the wireless network is for public use, it's pretty dumb having it open; so the VM tech support monkey did you a favour to be honest.

New Poll