corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Best possible way to set this up?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Best possible way to set this up?
Whittie

User status: Offline
22nd May 11 at 20:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Only 1 phone socket in the house, which is one of the new open-reach ones. More could be installed if needbe...

Right, a simple wireless router simply will not suffice for what I need. Signal is terrible in rooms upstairs, due to it being a large house.

So; Here's a pic of the equipment needed to connect to the net.

Media off a network harddrive would have to be streamed at a fairly high rate, as there are blu-rays on there etc to watch. Also need a decent connection for the internet tv's as iPlayer HD will be streamed quite regularly.

Options;

1: Run Ethernet cables round the house, up the floors and have sockets in the walls for everything needed, and a wireless booster of some kind. Cost - Probably no more than £200, and would look very tidy.

2: Some dLAN equipment; http://www.devolo.co.uk/ - Cost - Probably around £200 again. Wouldn't know what I needed though, and don't know if the plug socket stuff is actually any good..? Was thinking that 500mbps Lan, for the internet tvs and the network hd, and then a "200 AV Wireless N"

Which would be better in the long run? I'm not bothered about putting the cable in, it wouldn't take long, as there is a cellar, and a decent loft to work in.

What would you do? Or even an option 3...? I'm leaning towards option 2 at the minute, as the stream rate would work nicely.

Thanks for any help

Nismo

22nd May 11 at 20:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hardwire all day long!
Ian
Site Administrator

22nd May 11 at 20:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you can get in the walls I would wire it.
Whittie

22nd May 11 at 21:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fair enough, that answers that. Will get one of those dLan things to boost wireless though.

Will it not be slower due to using around 30M of cable? Over the "500mpbs" dLan product mentioned above?

Would it just be a standard cat5 wall plate i'd have to use?

Something like this in the main room;

http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=rKw&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&q=rj45+wall+plate&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=4845444600828150284&sa=X&ei=3X_ZTfbWGdCu8QOwzNWDBQ&ved=0CHkQ8gIwAg#

And singles for the Internet TV's?

[Edited on 22-05-2011 by Whittie]
Russ

22nd May 11 at 21:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Homeplug?
Whittie

22nd May 11 at 21:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thats what option 2 is, but as stated, dont mind doing the cable work as the house is very easy to work on / put sockets in.

Just want the quickest possible internet on all options I guess....
Nismo

22nd May 11 at 21:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Stick a Gig network in? But only if the devices that connect to it can run at the gig speeds but i think a 10/100 would be fine, you wont need the bandwidth?

Cat5 runs can be upto a 100m so that makes no difference, Yeah just get a wall socket but if its for your lounge you can get smarter ones than that.

[Edited on 22-05-2011 by Nismo]
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

22nd May 11 at 22:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Go apple.

Get an Airport Extreme. Then get some air express.
Ian
Site Administrator

22nd May 11 at 22:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Internet incoming won't be 100Mpbs anyway so that would be fine to network the place.

Gigabit would be nice but you'll need another switch. That does mean you can transfer files between computers faster though, which if you're downloading on one computer and viewing on another is fairly necessary.
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

22nd May 11 at 23:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Plus side on using apple express is they can be used as wireless speaker points too
pow
Premium Member

23rd May 11 at 07:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hardwire it all the way, just be careful how close to twin and earth you run it.
Sam
Premium Member

23rd May 11 at 08:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Alex, another option would be to use one or more wireless extenders.

I installed one of these for one of my customers recently (in a listed building with ridiculously thick walls) and it works great:

Netgear WN2000RPT WiFi Range Extender

Unlike typical extenders that only work with a CAT5 cable connecting both of them, this one works completely wirelessly.

It's about £60-£70 from what I remember.

New Poll