corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » R1 fuelled XE GSi project - Pending Swap

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author R1 fuelled XE GSi project - Pending Swap
chrex

User status: Offline
   13th Feb 08 at 00:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well i have just picked up this little beauty. An N-reg Corsa GSi with an X16XEL engine and in good condition. Got big plans for this.

I've got a mk2 Cavalier SRi130 ex-rally c20seh to put in it, and run on R1 carbs. Am getting a Janspeed exhaust maniold, and will possibly get tweeks to make up a cat-bypass pipe to mate up that to the corsa system.
Tidy up the exterior, theres a few knocks that need sorting, but nothing major. Then get slam panel and front cross-member ground back, etched and painted.
I am changing the suspension set-up from coilovers to Bilstein shocks and spax 50mm springs and have got some Pro-Race 1.2's to put on it in the end, will be getting Cesarios for the summer.
Interior will need to be played with, but again i have some big ideas. I will be putting Fiesta RST Recaro's in, leaving the rest of the interior stripped.

Some pics of the R1 carbs i have to go on it!

As the car came with various parts that i dont want/need, i started stripping it down.

First off, was the suspension. Spax RSX coilovers to be replaced with Bilstein B8 dampers and Spax SSX 50mm springs.
Was goin well until i took one of the front coilovers off. I went to put the new shock and spring on and of course there was no spring seat on the top mount. So i have had to just leave the front c'overs on and change the rears until the ordered parts come in from vauxhall
Oh...and i took the front ARB off it as well!

Spax off...

And Bilstein on ...

How she now sits...

Next i cracked on with taking the harnesses and one of the seats out (need drivers seat to move it to and from in front of the garage).

That was it really, all i could do for the day.

[Edited on 25-10-2009 by chrex]

[Edited on 01-11-2009 by chrex]
Pucci1

13th Feb 08 at 01:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

looking good mate whats up with the old spax coilovers then mate'e

and also gsi's are 16 vavles mate
chrex

13th Feb 08 at 01:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Pucci1
looking good mate whats up with the old spax coilovers then mate'e

and also gsi's are 16 vavles mate

Yea but once im finished with the engine conversion its gonna be 8v

Nothing! They are reasonably new! I just dont like the idea of coilovers...never have! These bilstein shocks are possibly THE best available and as a fixed rate system...have been proven to work. Adam-D had Bilstein B12's on his recent 1.6 sport and it handled unbelievably well! These are shortened versions, and the springs are better than he had! So am expecting them to be spot on!
chrex

13th Feb 08 at 23:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wed 13th Feb

Well i had a couple of little jobs to do today. Still waiting on the spring seats from vauxhall so had to find other things.

I decided to take the opportunity to wirebrush and paint the drums with black hammerite.
Once the paint was dry, i thought i'd see how the bk end looked with the Pro Race's on.

Hoping that after a week or so of use, that back end will drop, but also realised that there isnt an interior or anything, so it will sit slightly lower once its on the road.
Was made up to see that you can see the Bilsteins through the wheel...so i'm able to show off the quality suspension system!

Apart from that i took the front bumper off, and gave the inside a quick brush!

Once darkness fell i concentated on repairing one of my alloys that an ARB bracket on the car im driving gauged a 'diamond cut' ridge into them when i had them on it for a week

It's on the inside rim so you cant see it but thought i'd sort it to protect it anyways, so i managed to repaint it gloss black and re-laquer it and is all protected and looking ok now. Forgot to get pics tho so will put some up tomorrow.

[Edited on 13-02-2008 by chrex]
flybikeslee

13th Feb 08 at 23:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cool wheels
chrex

15th Feb 08 at 20:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Feb 14th and 15th
Well last two days off work so i HAD to get everything done. The jobs remaining for these 2 days were to take the front coilovers off and get the parts that i was expecting from vauxhall to complete the new suspension set-up.

Thursday - So...up the front end went on axle stands and i cracked on with getting the coilovers off...which didnt take long, although cracking the two bottom bolts free was a bugger, it all came off pretty easy!

So, once they'd gone, i decided to sort the brakes whilst i waited on the suspension parts. As is a common problem, the bolt for the brake discs was goosed...so i just drilled the head off it and off it all came!

And the pleasant discovery that the car has got braided brake hoses, which will save me some money!

The bad news arrived about half 1 when i rang vauxhall and they told me it was gonna be friday morning b4 the parts were in now. Annoying as the car was on axle on my mates drive with his dads car in the garage behind. Logistical problems were to be worked around but was still a pain.

How thursday ended:

Friday Well i went absolutely steaming into it today...out before 9 to get cracking. Day started well, with vauxhall ringing me at quarter past 9 telling me my parts were in. So down i trundled to get em. When i got there, i found that i had missed a part i needed on the order! So went round the corner to a scrappy and managed to buy 2 front set-ups off a sport for £30. Then back home to try and take em apart for the spring seat.

Once i started to try taking them apart, the nut on the top would not budge. Adam-D attempted it and still nothing, managed to break a socket and hurt hands without getting anywhere as it was really rusted on!

I was all but ready to quit on it for the day but decided to take them to a welding and bodywork shop around corner where the owner kindly cracked the nut loose wit his air gun! back in buisness!

Got them bk, compressed the sping and shouted victory abuse at it!
Sat the standards alongside the Bilsteins, ever amazed by the huge size of the B8's piston!

So...undersealed the turrets, and prepped them for the new shocks and springs.

Built up the new shock and spring unit, with the help of my ever present and highly useful girlfriend! Having a second pair of hands is always useful, and she was able put the top nut on whilst i pushed down on the top mount assembly to compress the spring just enough.
Was extremely pleased to see it all finally together.

At this point my phone ran out of power so i couldnt get anymore photos...

Once the suspension was on i changed over the callipers, putting a 2litre set-up on with red-dot pads and 6 Groove Discs.

With the wheel off now, it looks the dogs danglies. Red-dot, Bilstien and spax.
I ended the day, and the week happy that i'd done everything i wanted to do! Weekend in work and then will try and get more done on Monday, with the one day off!

[Edited on 24-02-2008 by chrex]
chrex

24th Feb 08 at 00:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sat 23rd Feb

Well i managed to get a bit more work done today...tho no pics.

With the engine coming out this time next week, i spent the day trying to get the ancillaries off. Exhaust is all loosened just needs pulling off now.

The main bugger was the starter motor. It just will not come off!! Dont know if anybody knows whether theres more than the one bolt and one nut i took off...but its still solid.
Took a look at my mate adam-d's C16 which he has out in his garage and it is only the 2 bolts on the starter, so im assuming the X16 is the same?? Pain in the arse. Just the alternator to do once thats off, oh...and drain fluids out.

If anyone has any feedback on the starter i'd really appreciate it!

marklawton

24th Feb 08 at 12:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

looking good mate, will have to come for a gander some time soon
Theham85

24th Feb 08 at 12:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looking
Vaux Lad

24th Feb 08 at 12:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nice project mate, good choice of wheels.
chrex

24th Feb 08 at 23:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sun 24th Feb

Well, although the day started off rainy, by 2pm it had dried off and i decided work had to be done on the GSi. So i drafted in some help (my mate Jimmy) and cracked on wit some more preparation for the engine drop.

First job on the list was the alternator, which following the removal of every bolt related to it, came out eventually. Although it was a task, we got there in the end.
The starter was not coming off. and i just couldnt find the bolt that was holding it on, so i decided to jib and leave for adam to have a look at when he got back.

So the exhaust came off. I'd loosened everything yesterday and just needed a second pair of hands to help me pull it apart.

At this point adam got back from work (early i may add), so we managed to start getting some of the bigger jobs sorted. He had the starter off in about 5 mins - as is usually the case!

Next was to drain the coolant and take the radiator off!

Following this the main loom was unplugged from the ECU and pulled through the bulkhead. And then disconnected from the relevant engine plugs.

I then had a 15 min chat with a gent who had bought my ARB, and when i got bk, i was greeted by a pretty empty engine bay. Adam had managed to strip most of the neccesary parts off it in that time, and i was amazed.

Power steering pulley off, and the bracket for the fluid container was disconnected as well, so the PAS system is ready to be taken off once the engine is out.

So with everything sorted, i bunged most of my engine parts into the boot, and moved it bk to its parking place.

Managed to get everything that needed doing done, yet again. Which means we stay on schedule for the engine coming out on saturday 1st march.
Woo! Progress is good, not too many hitches so far, and i certainly hope it stays that way for the moment.

Thanks to Adam-D and my mate jimmy for the help today! Was invaluable. (oh and my girlfriend Louise for the cups of tea!)

Next update should be Saturday...the engine removal!

[Edited on 24-02-2008 by chrex]
chrex

2nd Mar 08 at 20:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sat 1st March

Well, another weekend came along and the next big step has been taken. Although i had my fears the weather would prevent it, the engine removal went ahead as planned.

Pretty much everything was ready for it to be taken out, so once the driveshafts and engine mounts were released...out it all came. Only took us about an hour to do the lot, and i was mightily impressed.

As there was just the 2 of us doing it, i didnt have the opportunity to take progressive photos, so they all from once the block was out.

So its all out and ready for the eventually rebuilt c20ne to be popped in.

This x16xe is now for sale...so gimme a shout if you're interested...i really need both the money and the room!

Sun 2nd March

Although there was no work done on the car, i picked up the engine today. Appears to be in good condition. Adam has the photos of it as my phone ran out of power again...seems to be a thing when i need to take pics!

Just need to get it stripped and find out what its all like inside. Then get required replacement bits and bearings, new gaskets on...back together and running on the carbs ready to get into the car!

Thanks for reading again! Keep you posted on further progress this week!
chrex

6th Mar 08 at 09:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just a lil update. I took delivery of these on tuesday...little beauties. So comfy, and not gonna be that hard to make fit.

Corbeau subframes and 2 adaption bars bolted in, should see them all sorted!

Very pleased!
chrex

11th Mar 08 at 22:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tues 11th March

Well its been a while since i've done anything sincere before today. Last few days iv been trying to find a way to get the recaro's to sit on the corsa frame but am gonna have to have them welded.

Strengthening plates arrived the other day so im gonna have the car collected and then sent to get everything done as soon as i can afford it.

So today started with cracking some 2litre brakes off the hubs i got with the engine. These hubs also have 2ltr shafts so am gonna use them along with the GSi outer CV's...happy days!

Once that was done i went to vauxhall and collected a huge amount of nuts and bolts (£50 worth) for various parts of the car. (will update with photo 2moz)

So once i got back, i cracked on with taking the engine apart. I've always wanted to do this so was pretty excited. Was a bugger getting everything off, but eventually, the rocker cover, and the valves, springs and lifter head came off. Was a very satisfying occasion. First big step to getting it all sorted and ready to go again.

So all i need now is an engine stand and i can get the sump off and then the bottom end can come apart and i can renew shells, rings and arp the rod bolts. Need my x16xe gone 1st though, need both the space and the cash.

Thats all i did for the day. All i can do for now. Short on money and room, i cant do anything else until the old engine has sold and been collected so i have room to play with in the garage.

Thats all for now folks!
chrex

13th Mar 08 at 18:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thurs 13th March

Well i managed to get the rest of the bottom end pulled apart today.

First off was the clutch flywheel and sump. Getting the flywheel off proved a bit difficult but with some help we were able to get it all off.

Once i had these parts off, the next challenge was the water and oil pumps, which...following some swearing and smacking, came off. The main problem with the oil pump was gettin off the crank timing belt pulley. In the end a 3-leg puller and a hammer sorted that problem.

I was quickly making progress and the next job was to get the crank out the block.

So these main bearings were removed following some more swearing and some leverage wit a wooden hammer handle. And then soon after i undid the big-end bearing bolts and everything was then off the crank, allowing me to lift it off!

And once the crank was all out, i was able to (gently) knock the pistons through!

And heres some pics of the bore

So heres the mess i'd made by the end of the day! Was definitely pleased with what i've done, always wanted to do this so i was made up with myself!

Hopefully i can get it all cleaned up, parts renewed and back together ready to run as soon as possible, but am not going to rush...i want a proper job!

Just need to get some diesel and get these parts degreased now...and find a way to jet-wash the block clean.

chrex

15th Mar 08 at 22:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fri 14th & Sat 15th March

Well i've spent two days cleaning up the pistons. Degreasing them using 3-in-1 degreaser and WD-40. Works a treat mixed with some pan scouring pads. Managed to get most of the surface rubbish and carbon.

The idea now is to soak them in a degreasant tub overnight, get them completely shiney, then soak the block itself and the crank, just so its all clean and shiney. I can then make sure its all in good condition and begin putting it all back together.

Heres some pics of the cleaned up pistons anyways!

until next time folks!

[Edited on 15-03-2008 by chrex]
Adam-D

15th Mar 08 at 23:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cant belive you had pistons on ma carpet, if that was me, i would have been killed
chrex

15th Mar 08 at 23:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

they were clean...and im not sure ur dad saw them tbh...but he'd watched me sat cleaning them all afternoon so he knew they were done properly!

i know i was pushin my luck tho!
sam13

17th Mar 08 at 21:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cracking project bout time we saw a few more 8 valvers goin in. gona keep an eye on the thread m8 keep it up!
chrex

18th Mar 08 at 22:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thanks m8!

quick update in terms of prices i got as im back at work now so practical stuff is limited to weekends off!

Went to vauxhall to price up the bearing shells for main and big end bearings. I expected to get maybe £5-10 a piece...tops. I almost passed out when he said £45...and thats EACH btw!! This was followed by an abrupt "F*** That!!"

An engine rebuild place in birkenhead quoted me £48+vat for the lot (main and big end shells) which seems much better, forgot to ask bout the piston rings but im hoping the same sort of price tag on them...not the £42 each for the top compression ring vaux gave me.

Have managed to draw up a list of what i need...and iv realised this rebuild is gonna take more spending than i thought. ah well, i hope its worth it in the end!

chrex

28th Mar 08 at 23:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well due to financial constraints, the project is being put on hold. Iv got an inlet coming for the carbs that i ordered last month and have to pay for...and thats it till i can get a sum together to pay for a wad of bits.

Am gutted but its the only thing to do atm.

chrex

6th Apr 08 at 10:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sun 6th April

Well, the project has taken a quick and very positive turn. Last night (saturday) i went and picked up another engine from a gent in wales.

It's a c20SEH, but it has had a huge amount of work done to it! It came out of a mk1 astra that was wrecked during a rally, and the spec list is huge!...

Worked Head (Ported and polished etc)
Enem Cam
Kent Springs
RIMFLO valves
FELPRO head gasket
Heavy Duty Followers
Anti Pump Hyd lifters
Lightened and balanced
Piper oil pump
Heavy Duty big end and main bearings

It was putting out the best part of 170bhp at the wheels, and will rev well past what my clocks will show! Cant wait to see how it performs once i've got the carbs on it and its all running as it should!

Heres some pics i managed to get as i was putting it away...

Is going to get some engine paint before it goes in and then im hoping that i can have it in the car by the end of the month! Woo!!

Back on track again!

[Edited on 18-11-2008 by chrex]
sam13

6th Apr 08 at 10:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

good find pal on the engine gona be a right grunty machine
notts.pirate

6th Apr 08 at 13:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

good work fella, a really good write up aswell
chrex

6th Apr 08 at 16:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers guys! Yea i'm hoping that with the carbs on its gonna be a bit mean! am getting the rally box from it too, thats had the ratios played with.

The guy needs to get hold of his mate who has it apparently. cant w8 to go playin!

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » R1 fuelled XE GSi project - Pending Swap 23 database queries in 0.1948650 seconds