corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Is there such a device

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Is there such a device
James

User status: Offline
17th Jul 11 at 22:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That will stream stuff from a NAS drive and also play DVDs/Blurays.

PS3 is the obvious answer but I wondered if there was a cheaper solution as I already have a PS3, this is for a different room.
James

17th Jul 11 at 23:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I guess a Wi-Fi enable BluRay player might do it
Russ

18th Jul 11 at 05:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes. LG do a NAS drive with a blu ray drive that has DLNA
Toby
Premium Member

18th Jul 11 at 12:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

PCH c200 with a bluray drive will do that and more. PS3 will limit your type of content playable.

If BD drive not such a biggie then go for the A210 does almost the same as the c200 but without the drive option
James

18th Jul 11 at 12:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

$299.99 for the C200.
$26.00 for the adapter to allow you to add a BR drive
$139.99 for the BR drive
$29.99 for the Wifi Upgrade

Total = $495.97 = £308

Seems a lot when a PS3 can be had for around £200 and that has the additional benefit of being able to play games.

Unless I'm missing something?
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

18th Jul 11 at 12:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

could get a NAS and some Jailbroken ATV they only play 720p though
James

18th Jul 11 at 12:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have a NAS already - a Western Digital MyBook World Edition.

I just want a way of accessing what's on it for the TV in my bedroom. I was going to get a WD TV Live but I would also like to be able to watch DVDs/Blu-Rays.
Toby
Premium Member

18th Jul 11 at 12:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by James
$299.99 for the C200.
$26.00 for the adapter to allow you to add a BR drive
$139.99 for the BR drive
$29.99 for the Wifi Upgrade

Total = $495.97 = £308

Seems a lot when a PS3 can be had for around £200 and that has the additional benefit of being able to play games.

Unless I'm missing something?

They are retail prices can get them cheaper, esp the bluray drive. Just depends how much you want the BD drive and if your going to use the PS3, however you can attach certain USB BD drives through the other models like the A200/210 etc so that maybe a cheaper option.

I do have both (not a c200 an a210 now) as the trade off over content that is playable on the PS3 and price was not really an option at the time. Having said that though the amount of PS3's out there now there maybe far more content thats playable out of the box, i wouldnt know?

If you need to use WIFI are you not going to stuggle to stream to a PS3 anyway? That will limit your content even more.
Dom

18th Jul 11 at 13:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What about a DNLA enabled BD player; something like a panny bdt110/210?
You might have issues with streaming 1080p content wirelessly, especially 2.4GHz N; might be worth thinking about 5GHz or use powerline (new netgear 500MB are suppose to be pretty decent).
James

18th Jul 11 at 13:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
What about a DNLA enabled BD player; something like a panny bdt110/210?
You might have issues with streaming 1080p content wirelessly, especially 2.4GHz N; might be worth thinking about 5GHz or use powerline (new netgear 500MB are suppose to be pretty decent).

The 210 is a decent shout as it has built in Wi-Fi.

I just can't help but think that at only £30 less than a PS3, the PS3 is better value.
Dom

18th Jul 11 at 13:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not much difference between the 110 and 210 (i believe there is also custom firmware out that enables a lot of the 210 features) and can be had for around £100/110. But it sounds like you want a PS3; just note you'll probably need to transcode media off your NAS box.
James

18th Jul 11 at 13:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I already have a PS3, which streams from my NAS fine.

I don't want another PS3 if possible. But if I'm going to buy something for £30 less than a PS3 that does a lot less than a PS3 does, then I might as well just buy a PS3.

Dom

18th Jul 11 at 14:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

I don't want another PS3 if possible. But if I'm going to buy something for £30 less than a PS3 that does a lot less than a PS3 does, then I might as well just buy a PS3.

As i said, the 110 is £90 cheaper than a PS3; so if you want to save money and not get another PS3 then get that!
James

18th Jul 11 at 14:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
quote:

As i said, the 110 is £90 cheaper than a PS3; so if you want to save money and not get another PS3 then get that!

Yeh but any idea how much a Wi-Fi dongle is for that?
James

18th Jul 11 at 14:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

£75

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-DY-WL10E-K-Facilitates-Wireless-Capability/dp/B003922QY4/ref=pd_sxp_f_pt
Dom

18th Jul 11 at 14:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Dom
quote:

Yeh but any idea how much a Wi-Fi dongle is for that?

Use a Netgear WNDA3100 (worth reading the thread on AVForums). Alternatively use a wireless access point.
noshua

18th Jul 11 at 15:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Custom HTPC or any Ion based computer

edit; what are you trying to stream? if it's movies, i.e. mkv and avi's you might run into codec issues with the ps3

[Edited on 18-07-2011 by noshua]
James

18th Jul 11 at 15:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's TV shows/movies. So far I'm yet to find a file that my current PS3 won't play.
Dom

18th Jul 11 at 15:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by noshua
Custom HTPC or any Ion based computer

edit; what are you trying to stream? if it's movies, i.e. mkv and avi's you might run into codec issues with the ps3

[Edited on 18-07-2011 by noshua]

Think it'd be tough to build something new for less than £200, which appears to be James' limit. Second-hand might be doable if you can pick up a bargin Atom Ion board (wouldn't really want to use anything else), but even then it'd be tight.
Toby
Premium Member

18th Jul 11 at 16:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
It's TV shows/movies. So far I'm yet to find a file that my current PS3 won't play.

try an MKV, which tbf is about 90% of all HD content on the web, however these can be remuxed into a mp4 but that would required a third party i.e. your PC and time.

If you have avoided MKV's so far your either not realising the full potential of HD available or your collection is limited to very little content of mp4's.

If you settle for any less than a hardware media player or at HTTP then you will struggle with content availble and what it can play so up to you really depending on your needs and what your wanting

edit: Hope this doesn't come across like a twat, wasnt intended.

[Edited on 18-07-2011 by Toby]
JonnyJ

18th Jul 11 at 16:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My ps3 plays MKVs just fine
Toby
Premium Member

18th Jul 11 at 16:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by JonnyJ
My ps3 plays MKVs just fine

Really? when did that change?
JonnyJ

18th Jul 11 at 16:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dunno

Im no geek, my bro does all that stuff, i just download movies/shows, which have all been mkv so far and never had a problem.

The only problem i get is when streaming wirelessly i cant do 1080p quality without it constantly stuttering, so it has to be 720.
Toby
Premium Member

18th Jul 11 at 16:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

do you stream from the PC to the PS3? if so that is possible as the PC is converting it on the fly to another format. From what i read James isnt palnning on using a third party i.e. a PC
JonnyJ

18th Jul 11 at 16:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This is where i end up showing my lack of geekyness

My brother has some kind of external media server thingy and it streams from that (i think) God knows, all i know is it works

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll