corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Whats the difference between- 1.4 8v from a Merit and a 1.4 8v from an SRi??

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Whats the difference between- 1.4 8v from a Merit and a 1.4 8v from an SRi??
Bonus

User status: Offline
   13th Apr 03 at 10:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My sisters 1.4 8v from her corsa merit has died, seen a 1.4 8v from an Sri for sale, would it be a straight swap for just the engines? Or are they different? Would the same gearbox, loom, breaks, and everything else be the same??

Thanks People
mattyboy199

13th Apr 03 at 11:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

1.4 merit is a spi it has a single point injection system the 1.4sri has a multi point injection system the multi point is more powerful hence the name multi
Bonus

13th Apr 03 at 11:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ok, bit more power, not a problem, would the 2 be a straight swap then or a bit of work?!
corsa120

13th Apr 03 at 12:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

can some1 just answer me this peeps on say the sri 8v is quicker to 60 than the sport 16v hence the book times say the sri8v is 1 second slower is it just me or does that not seem strange to u how can the 8v sri be 1 second slower than the sport but be quicker im just laughin at how it can be lol
Bonus

13th Apr 03 at 12:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Think the 8v has a differnt gear box to the 16v, therefore different ratio.
Plymouth_Corsa

13th Apr 03 at 15:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

To answer your question in one simple answer...yes it will fit.
The mounts are exactly the same, the only difference is the injection system, one has SPi and the other is MPi.

The way around this is change the SPi fuel rail and the MPi fuel rail over, and the ECU...job done.
corsa120

13th Apr 03 at 15:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

still dont explain the 1 second difference does it
Kris TD

13th Apr 03 at 15:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you would ant the brakes too.
and-m

13th Apr 03 at 16:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Plymouth_Corsa
To answer your question in one simple answer...yes it will fit.
The mounts are exactly the same, the only difference is the injection system, one has SPi and the other is MPi.

The way around this is change the SPi fuel rail and the MPi fuel rail over, and the ECU...job done.

and the cylinder head, Im also told the pistons are different, it has a different CR.

[Edited on 13-04-2003 by and-m]
mattyboy199

13th Apr 03 at 16:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I would nt even bother swaping a 1.4 for a 1.4 not worth itmate.
and-m

13th Apr 03 at 16:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I dont see the problem. Its only for his sister, the extra 22bhp should make a lot of difference.
Bonus

13th Apr 03 at 16:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Only reason Im going to need to swap it is cos the 1.4 8v is dead. Its my sisters car, and shes only been driving a year, if anything bigger went in her insurance would go up even more!

So just, swap engines, brakes. Thats nice and easy

When you say - ECU will that just be swaping the chips over?? will work on the same loom and everything??

Fuel rail - not too sure what you mean, this an easy job to do??

Cheers
Paul_J

13th Apr 03 at 18:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
can some1 just answer me this peeps on say the sri 8v is quicker to 60 than the sport 16v hence the book times say the sri8v is 1 second slower is it just me or does that not seem strange to u how can the 8v sri be 1 second slower than the sport but be quicker im just laughin at how it can be lol

the 8v should be more torquey down low in the revs, and therefore will seem quicker than the 16v in some ways... all depends what gears were used for the 0-60 tests..

if the 8v used a gear which made it go high in the rev range to reach 60 it would be losing out... the 16v would be pulling strong. Having said this perhaps if using the 8v they were to change up again it'd be back in the power- oh I dunno...

Paul J
Plymouth_Corsa

13th Apr 03 at 19:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you get a good driver in the 8v SRi they would be able to keep up with the 16v SRi/ Sport...top end the 8v is slower, as the extra valves mean better mid and top end power...8v has better low down torque.
Rob H

13th Apr 03 at 19:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Bonus

When you say - ECU will that just be swaping the chips over?? will work on the same loom and everything??

Fuel rail - not too sure what you mean, this an easy job to do??

Cheers

You'll need a new loom, as you'll need the wiring for the 4 injectors ratehr than the 1. There will also be more sensors (stuff like Knock sensors and RON sensors on the sri engine), so they wil need wiring too.

Also dont think that the insurance company won't know youve changed it to a more powerful engine

Rob
Plymouth_Corsa

13th Apr 03 at 19:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeh when they ask for the new engine number, just say its the same engine as what was in the car before they wont know any different, so premium will stay the same.
Plymouth_Corsa

13th Apr 03 at 19:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i dont mean as in pretend you have not changed the engine - but that you have changed engine, but for an identical unit.
Bonus

13th Apr 03 at 21:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Plymouth_Corsa
yeh when they ask for the new engine number, just say its the same engine as what was in the car before they wont know any different, so premium will stay the same.

I had been thinking this. ummm.

Well thanks for your help anyway people, I've got 2 options for her now. Either pick up this 1.4 8v form an sri, OR Strip everything out of my sri 1.4 16v, give her that, then and drop a 2ltr in mine

New Poll