corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Another reason not to have an iPhone

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4    5  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Another reason not to have an iPhone
sc0ott

User status: Offline
21st Apr 11 at 12:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I hate Apple for taking away that feeling i always hated, when you want something but decide to buy something else but deep down you still wish you had bought it in the first place.

i no longer have that feeling.
Dom

21st Apr 11 at 12:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jambo
Ste the issue with video calling is that on nokias which you are correct in saying had it years ago (Samsung even before them) the problem is it was and is shite. Because it's bandwidth dependant and also means only a VGA camera can be used.

Apple made video calling work. As it being limited to wifi is only a problem now, but soon won't be when wifi is freely available wherever you go.

They took something shit and made it good. It's not perfect, but it's better.

I agree that FaceTime is pretty cool when it works, but as you say it's far from perfect and as with any other IP based comms you're reliant on the backhaul and available bandwidth. Add congestion and WiFi's poor efficiency, Apple themselves state only 3 FaceTime users per WiFi connection (from reading a few articles), and you're opening it up to a whole host of issues.
Increasing WiFi hotspots in a location just increases the availability of FaceTime, whether or not you can actually use it is anything thing entirely.

I can see where Ste is coming from in terms of some of their marketing, specifically the example he used - "iPhone 4 makes it a reality.". It's simply incorrect, video calling has been a reality for years previous.

[Edited on 21-04-2011 by Dom]
Russ

21st Apr 11 at 12:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its not been accessible to the masses though
Dom

21st Apr 11 at 12:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Russ
Its not been accessible to the masses though

It's a closed protocol/network, so it still isn't 'accessible to the masses'. No different to Nokia's implementation; without that hardware/software you can't use it. Applications like Tango are closer to 'accessible to the masses' than Apple's FaceTime as its multi-platform, but it's still limited to two types of devices.
Jambo

21st Apr 11 at 12:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
quote:
Dom are you at all affiliated with Skynet?

What's that got to do with the thread?

Nothing.

I was just gunna say you have more re by knowledge about anything concerning technology so wondered ifyou worked for/run Skynet given today bein judgement day

Sorry
Russ

21st Apr 11 at 12:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I understand what your saying, but there's been umpteen million iphone 4's sold, and the majority (i'd imagine) would have access to a wifi connection on a regular basis. Facetime requires no additional downloads, it comes with pre installed on a phone that's owned by people the world over.

It works cross platform, Mac to Iphone or Mac to Mac, or iPhone to iPhone, does Tango do that (genuine question, never heard of it)
Dom

21st Apr 11 at 13:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Russ
I understand what your saying, but there's been umpteen million iphone 4's sold, and the majority (i'd imagine) would have access to a wifi connection on a regular basis. Facetime requires no additional downloads, it comes with pre installed on a phone that's owned by people the world over.

It works cross platform, Mac to Iphone or Mac to Mac, or iPhone to iPhone, does Tango do that (genuine question, never heard of it)

Wouldn't say that was cross-platform, cross-devices perhaps, but you're still inside Apple's 'wall'. It'd be the same if Microsoft added video chat to WinPho and integrated it into Live Messenger; you'd need Windows software and/or hardware to access it.
Tango can be used across multiple platforms; iPhone and Android. Plus there are plenty of other apps that work on a greater range of platforms.

Still stand by FaceTime not being a 'Reality'; maybe on Apple's products but it certainly isn't to anyone else.

Edit - It'll also be interesting to see if Google add video chat to Android as that would instantly open it to a lot more devices than FaceTime.

ed

21st Apr 11 at 13:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can video chat over Skype though can't you? That's available on loads of handsets. FaceTime is meant to be an open protocol, but I don't see many other people developing for it.
Dom

21st Apr 11 at 14:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
You can video chat over Skype though can't you? That's available on loads of handsets. FaceTime is meant to be an open protocol, but I don't see many other people developing for it.

Not sure, i always thought Skype mobile apps were Voice/Text only. Could be wrong though....
FaceTime is/was apparently open but no SDK/Documentation has been officially released, not that i know of. There was a blog (not sure if i have the links) that went into a bit of detail about protocol though, be interesting to see if anyone has made/making a port of FaceTime.

Edit - Packetstan Blog: >Part 1<, >Part 2<, >Part 3<. Worth a read if it's your thing. Interesting note made (Part 3) about the SSL connection though, client-side certificates and the protocol apparently being 'Open'.

Jambo

21st Apr 11 at 14:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's open protocol?! Are you 100% on that??
Dom

21st Apr 11 at 14:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
It's open protocol?! Are you 100% on that??

That's what Apple said around FaceTime launch, but nothing so far has come of it.
Jambo

21st Apr 11 at 14:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks Dom
Dom

21st Apr 11 at 14:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Thanks Dom

To be honest it all relies on the certificates used for the SSL connection to Apple servers, if those could be 'bodged' to register with the Apple servers then there is probably enough info around to do a port of the protocol as you could potentially 'spoof' the port to look like a Mac/iPhone device.

But yeah, way off topic now. Back to "Why we shouldn't buy an iPhone"

Russ

21st Apr 11 at 15:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can video chat on skype
Nismo

21st Apr 11 at 19:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Download the tracking software here.

http://petewarden.github.com/iPhoneTracker/
Rob_Quads

21st Apr 11 at 20:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you can download untracker from cydia to delete/block further tracking.

Not sure what all the fuss is about myself.

You bank knows your movements and spending paterns
Your mobile phone operator knows where you are all the time
You car is tracked my to many cameras each time you take a drive.

The list goes on and on of poeple gathering data on you.
Chris
Premium Member

21st Apr 11 at 21:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

how can i get the information from the phone looks kinda geeky.

Im having to use an iphone while the nokia is in for repair.

[Edited on 21-04-2011 by Chris]
ed

22nd Apr 11 at 10:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You need a Mac, or maybe a *NIX computer to compile it and run it.
Doug

22nd Apr 11 at 12:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's not even 'that' accurate.

The timestamps look to be consistent with entries being batch written into the db. Which sucks to place someone in a place at a certain time. Just shows that the handset had been to that general area at some point.
Dom

22nd Apr 11 at 12:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Doug

The timestamps look to be consistent with entries being batch written into the db. Which sucks to place someone in a place at a certain time. Just shows that the handset had been to that general area at some point.

Uses cell tower triangulation, hence the inaccuracy
Ian
Site Administrator

22nd Apr 11 at 12:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I LOL'd when I saw the data mapped and the fixes were all over the place anyway.

Oh noes the phone tracks me.

Thankfully, it's not very good at it
Doug

22nd Apr 11 at 12:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
quote:

Cell tower triangulation can be VERY accurate if you are measuring with the right equipment.
Russ

22nd Apr 11 at 15:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'll download this when baby is in bed and check it out
Dom

22nd Apr 11 at 15:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Dom
quote:

Cell tower triangulation can be VERY accurate if you are measuring with the right equipment.

It can be accurate (if you're in a tower populated area, in the sticks it's useless) but i can say i've ever read about/or seen cell triangulation being accurate to 1/2m's like GPS, it's more like a few hundred metres.

Interesting article on The Register - http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/04/22/apple_iphone_location_tracking_analysis/
Russ

23rd Apr 11 at 06:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

pretty good, shows a trip to essex, trips to wolves and trip to cornwall, i dont get out much

<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>

New Poll