corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Track rods

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Track rods
adiohead

User status: Offline
19th Apr 11 at 15:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I know this is for a Leon (mk4 golf) but they're pretty much the same on any car.

How easy is it to adjust this?
Undo the lock bolt and adjust the rod, then tighten lock bolt.

Do you need to have big muscles for the lock bolts or can a lactose intolerant vegetarian do it?

[Edited on 19-04-2011 by adiohead]
scottyp1989

19th Apr 11 at 15:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you mean track rods? depends how long its been since they were last adjusted, if its not been a while they will more than likely be corroded on so some heat will be needed.
adiohead

19th Apr 11 at 15:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by scottyp1989
you mean track rods? depends how long its been since they were last adjusted, if its not been a while they will more than likely be corroded on so some heat will be needed.

Oh shit, yeah! Track rods!! I've been looking at US sites and they call them tie rods.

They were adjusted yesterday at a garage who promised to straighten my steering wheel

scottyp1989

20th Apr 11 at 07:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

should be easy enough to do if its only been a couple of days then.
Jed D

20th Apr 11 at 08:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im sure you can get it done at a garage for around £10
adiohead

20th Apr 11 at 09:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm gonna give it a go. I'm unsure which way to turn the rod though. Think I need to loosen the offside and tighten the nearside.
Fro

20th Apr 11 at 11:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You're going to put your geometry out if you mess with them, can you not take the wheel off and reposition? I did that with my black golf
Joe

20th Apr 11 at 12:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you are just trying to get the wheel straight and the tracking is fine just turn each side the same amount and it won't mess it up.

If the wheel is down on the left you will need to shorten the N/S and lengthen the O/S, opposite way round if its down on the right. Just mark where it is before you start so you can put it back if you fuck up.
adiohead

20th Apr 11 at 13:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've tried taking the steering wheel off. It's either slightly off left or a bit more right. I've got it slightly left at the moment. Can't undo the lock bolts

[Edited on 20-04-2011 by adiohead]
adiohead

20th Apr 11 at 13:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Am I too weak or am I doing it the wrong way?
DERV-POWER

20th Apr 11 at 13:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by adiohead
quote:
Originally posted by scottyp1989

Oh shit, yeah! Track rods!! I've been looking at US sites and they call them tie rods.

They were adjusted yesterday at a garage who promised to straighten my steering wheel

take it back, if they cant sort it ask for your money back
adiohead

20th Apr 11 at 13:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I usually pay around £30 for tracking at Pro Tyre, but they've never straightened my wheel.

This time I paid about £70 with A.V.I.T in Slough and they promised to sort it... but didn't.

I'll probably take it back but wondered if I could do it myself (as three separate places have failed)

Think I'm too weak of turning the nut the wrong way.....

I'm doing this all with the dodgy Audi jack btw

[Edited on 20-04-2011 by adiohead]
adiohead

20th Apr 11 at 14:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I undone one side! Yay
adiohead

20th Apr 11 at 15:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Finished! did 2.5mm either side (one side -2.5mm)

Hoping it's done or I'll do more tomorrow.

Was a piece of piss really.

Fuck the government!!!!!!!!
adiohead

20th Apr 11 at 16:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bollocks, did too much
pow
Premium Member

20th Apr 11 at 21:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

FLOL

Might give this a stab you know
adiohead

20th Apr 11 at 22:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you need help then I you can borrow my muscles
Dan295

21st Apr 11 at 08:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

£70 the track rod ends are common to cease on these so ask them to have a look and make sure there is still movement when turning the wheels
adiohead

21st Apr 11 at 10:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

£70 is an absolute rip off. They gave me bullshit that the entire steering system needed removing. But it ended up worse than ever.

I've just done my 3rd attempt and it's spot on. Just needed the steering wheel centred and the track rods adjusted 1/4 turn (0.5mm)

This is the first time my steering wheel has been centred since I got the car in 2005

Ste
Premium Member

21st Apr 11 at 10:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

And now you will eat your front tyres in no time. Even a minute adjustment will upset the tracking and cause uneven tyre wear. You need to get it tracked now. I highly recommend using someone with a Hunter 4 wheel laser aligner.

I would rather lose by a mile because i built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me.
adiohead

21st Apr 11 at 10:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Don't be silly, it was laser track to begin with.

I adjusted them equally either side. (using a tape measure)

If I get the tracking done again they probably won't centre my steering wheel properly and I'll be back to stage one and out of pocket even more, fuck that shit.

IF my tyres wear unevenly then I'll get them replaced and have it aligned again. But for the moment it should be perfect

I got the idea from this thread:
http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?p=735403

YOUR steering wheel is EASILY straightened!!!! They are being dicks and don't wanna do it right... Seriously, yoru steering wheel being off center the little mount that yours is, IS A LAME EXCUSE to get rid of your car... If you read this thread we described how to get your steering wheel perfect without removing your steering wheel (plus if you reposition YOUR steering wheel, based on the pic, it will then be off to the left). I'm gonna try to explain to everyone STEP-BY-STEP on how to align your steering wheel, if it's been aligned at a shop within specs, but is just BARELY off center(as your's is)...

1) Drive the car and determine which way the steering wheel is off-center...

2) In your garage, set your steering wheel where it was when you were driving it. REMEMBER your tires were just aligned, SO THEY ARE NOW STRAIGHT AHEAD...

3) Straighten your steering wheel. Here's where you need to pay attention!!! Now that your steering wheel is straight, you now know which way your tires point when your steering wheel is straight.

A easy explination -

If when you are driving,
Your STEERING WHEEL IS OFF TO THE RIGHT, you then straighten your steering wheel, your WHEELS WILL NOW BE POINTING TO THE LEFT... So you know now that you need to adjust the front of your wheels to the right...
Which means on MKV's you will need to adjust the left tie-rod OUT and your right tie-rod IN

If when you are driving,
Your STEERING WHEEL IS OFF TO THE LEFT, you then straighten your steering wheel, your WHEELS WILL NOW BE POINTING TO THE RIGHT... So you know now that you need to adjust the front of your wheels to the left...
Which means on MKV's you will need to adjust the left tie-rod IN and your right tie-rod OUT

(when I say IN/OUT I'm meaning, thread the adjuster IN/OUT the outer tie-rod)

Adjust your tie-rods EVENLY, meaning if you adjust one side a 1/4 turn adjust the other side the same amount...

I should make a video on how to do this because I feel like a lot of you guys will miss interpret how to do this and fuck up your steering even worse.

NO YOU DO NOT NEED TO CALIBRATE THE STEERING ANGLE SENSOR!!!

I just aligned my car MYSELF at work and it is PERFECTLY STRAIGHT!!!

I just wish I had a video camera...

[Edited on 21-04-2011 by adiohead]
Ste
Premium Member

21st Apr 11 at 10:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It won't be perfect. A tape measure is nowhere near accurate enough to measure tracking

I would rather lose by a mile because i built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me.
adiohead

21st Apr 11 at 11:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ste W
It won't be perfect. A tape measure is nowhere near accurate enough to measure tracking

Well it's the best it's ever been and I've had laser tracking done shit loads of times.

I won't be getting it tracked again as they'll just put the wheel off by 1 degree again and it'll make me wanna sell it.

I was watching some custom hot rod makers on Youtube and they do theirs manually and tweek them. If it's good enough for them it's good enough for me.

I'll let you know if I've fucked it up and my tyres wear unevenly.
pow
Premium Member

21st Apr 11 at 12:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tempted tbh
Dan295

21st Apr 11 at 13:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

a steering wheel shouldnt have to come off really, its pretty pikey. should have gone to national tyres in berkhampstead (if thats not too far) theyve tracked up two cars ive driven and its spot on for £15/£20. they can take off the track rod arm and extend it correctly

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll