corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Corsa c 1.0 the story so far

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Corsa c 1.0 the story so far
Russ

User status: Offline
13th Apr 11 at 10:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So kerry's mum has a 1.0 corsa c (02)

Went in for service and MOT, needed 4 springs, lambda sensor etc etc, came to £600.

He also advised the timing chain needed doing, so she paid him another £400 for that. Didn't replace the head gasket, rang vaux, they said you don't need too.

Straight away kerry said it didn't feel right, really lumpy on idle etc.

Then all the packing came out the exhaust, so he put a full new one on there, £130 quid, this was Monday.

Straight away she could tell it wasn't right, really lumpy on idle, emissions light was on, keeps cutting out at junctions.

I had a look at it today, theres a white film on the inside of the oil cap, and some oil residue(from what i can tell) on the inside of the coolant lid. which sounds like head gasket is on its way out to me, although, i'm no expert.

Theres a ticking coming from the throttle body, so i took it apart quickly and the inside is caked in grime, so that must be causing valve to stick, so will strip and clean that out this weekend. Dunno whether this could effect the emissions though.

Other problem is it's running hot, there was an air lock straight after the service, but that got cleared, now it runs at like 80 degrees or higher almost constantly, possible water pump?

So it's going back into the garage tomorrow to be plugged into diagnostics, told her not to pay him for any more work and i'll fix whatever he says is wrong with it.

Is there anything else i can do to confirm suspicions of the head gasket and the water pump, what else could make the emissions light come on?

any hep would be much appreciated, feel a bit sorry for her, shes spent 1200quid on it in the last few months and thats more than the car is worth, i'd recommended the garage after they had done work on my previous car.

Cheers CS

Russ

[Edited on 13-04-2011 by Russ]
Eddx14xe

13th Apr 11 at 10:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I dont know about the rest but i wouldnt of thought 80 degrees is running hot? My B runs at around 91/92 on the motorway, always considered this as normal
Daveskater
Premium Member

13th Apr 11 at 12:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My 1.0 B used to run at about 92C all the time and that was fine.

If you want to test the head gasket, clean off the oil cap and then get he engine warmed up and take it for a decent blast. If it's got some white gunk on it again then that's a bad sign.

Numberwang!

Originally posted by AlunJ
I like you Dave, you are a man of men

Originally Whatapp'd by Neo
Dave's maybe capable of a drive-by cuddle

Look at my pictures
tom_simes
Show Staff
Organiser: South Wales
Premium Member

13th Apr 11 at 12:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

80C is not hot at all - if anything, that's actually a little cold, optimum for petrol engines is approx 90C I think.

As for not replacing the headgasket - it's not needed unless it's leaking, he won't have had to take off any of the manifolds etc to change the timing chain, so it makes sense to just do the chain unless you're doing the lot yourself - the extra labour wouldn't have been worth the risk IMO.

What sort of mileage is this engine on? A gunked up throttle body is very common on engines, as the oil breathers normally route back into the induction hose before the throttle body.

Packing coming out of the exhaust sounds like the cat has disintegrated to me, normally a sign of it running rich - this could have been due to the original lambda fault, or something that has been done since.

Without seeing the car and also seeing what it was like before the service and part replacement, it's very difficult to try and diagnose what could have caused any of the problems at all I'm afraid.

You're best to do as Dave suggested - clean off the cap and take it for a decent run, to see if it comes back at all. On another point, did he change the cat when he replaced the exhaust system? If not, and the cat had disintegrated/is disintegrating, then that really won't help with the dodgy running if the exhaust is partly blocked.
Russ

13th Apr 11 at 13:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks guys.

Yeah the cat was replaced, i'll check the oil filler cap again after its been driven.

It's on 73k, i'll strip and clean throttle body this weekend.

Any idea on the emissions light?

Are the symptoms described linked to anything else other than headgasket

Could the airlock have caused the head gasket to go? (if that is whats happened)

[Edited on 13-04-2011 by Russ]
Russ

13th Apr 11 at 14:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

here's what I'm thinking anyway, after the timing chain, the air lock caused the head gasket to go due to overheating, now as its leaking coolant its loosing power when driving and cutting out randomly.
Kerry

13th Apr 11 at 21:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ttt
AlexW

13th Apr 11 at 21:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Unless while it had a airlock it got really hot, Head gasket has just gone, Not related to airlock

The running issues is prob related to the head gasket.

Another way to check is to get a compression tester on it and see if they are all similar readings.

[Edited on 13-04-2011 by AW06]
Archie
Organiser: Scotland
Premium Member

13th Apr 11 at 21:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I done a chain & gasket on my 1.2 ecowreck and the headgasket failed days after.
AlexW

13th Apr 11 at 21:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its fair to say, the removal and refitting of the cover could disturb it
Archie
Organiser: Scotland
Premium Member

13th Apr 11 at 21:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It is a shite setup IMO.
Kerry

14th Apr 11 at 01:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Archie
I done a chain & gasket on my 1.2 ecowreck and the headgasket failed days after.

Interesting

Yeh the car overheated because of the airlock so maybe that caused the gasket fail

Or it's just bad luck it's gone!

I suppose it's hard to tell really although doesn't the head warp if it's overheated?
tom_simes
Show Staff
Premium Member

14th Apr 11 at 14:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Only if it's badly overheated, and for a length of time.
Russ

15th Apr 11 at 07:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

turns out head was fine, and it was the crankshaft sensor causing it to run lumpy and cut out.

thanks for your help
alan-g-w

15th Apr 11 at 08:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Russ
here's what I'm thinking anyway, after the timing chain, the air lock caused the head gasket to go due to overheating, now as its leaking coolant its loosing power when driving and cutting out randomly.

I was just about to ask how you connected it losing coolant to it losing power
Russ

15th Apr 11 at 08:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

most internal combustion engines dont run well on antifreeze and water. forgive my poor use of English
alan-g-w

15th Apr 11 at 10:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sound mate, didn't realise you were talking about the headgasket leaking. Would usually run on 3 cylinders if it was that bad though for future reference
davieslim

15th Apr 11 at 10:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it only has 3 cylinders
Phillips_91

15th Apr 11 at 11:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

£130 for a back box!! we supply and fit them for that for like £40!
Russ

15th Apr 11 at 11:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Phillips_91
£130 for a back box!! we supply and fit them for that for like £40!
full system, still expensive i guess
Phillips_91

15th Apr 11 at 11:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why the hell did they fit a full system for just the packing coming out, theres only packing in the back box, unless there was wear/rust on the join to the back box could of comfortably just done back, no need for the full system unless the middle was rotten but if he didnt fail/advise it at the mot then why would he of needed to replace it! guy sounds like a cunt tbh mate and i certainly wouldnt be going back to him!
Phillips_91

15th Apr 11 at 12:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just actually read throught the whole thread only read the op initially, the packing wouldnt of been the CAT tom, even if the cat had disintergrated its highly unlikely it would of been coming out of the back, its like a ceramic brick it will just rattle in the exhaust, but when the back box fails it looks like someone has shoved a wig up the tail, when they took the cat off they would of been able to tell straight off if it had failed or not as you can see the brick and see if its mis-shapen or can hear it rattling
alan-g-w

15th Apr 11 at 13:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by davieslim
it only has 3 cylinders

Good point, are they able to run on 2?
tom_simes
Show Staff
Premium Member

15th Apr 11 at 13:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not always true Phillips, there are two types of cat - ceramic and platinum mesh like so:

which looks like this when it disintegrates

That came out of my exhaust when my CTS failed and poured neat fuel down the exhaust - the rest of the system was fine, just needed a new cat!
Phillips_91

15th Apr 11 at 16:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Never seen that before possibly cheap cats, the only type we see is the ceramic ones breaking up and rattling, but like i say usually stuff coming out of the exhaust is backbox

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll