corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Broadband......talk to me.

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Broadband......talk to me.
adamc

User status: Offline
31st Mar 11 at 18:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Howdi

Me and the gf have just secured a flat to rent.we move in in a couple of weeks but one of the jobs I've got to take care of is sorting out the broadband(well mainly because it'll just be me using it!:lol
This is the first time either of us have moved out so we both haven't really got an idea.it will only be used for online gaming and browsing the web (no downloads etc) and I don't really want to be paying £50 a month!

Anyone know any good deals or what to look for as I don't get all the mb/gb jargon!

P.s hope this is in right section?
adiohead

31st Mar 11 at 20:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you can get cable I'd recommend virgin fibre optic, as you don't need a land line

Does the place have a telephone line installed? Are you currently paying line rental?

If there is a socket and you're currently not paying line rental then you need to plug in a phone and dial 17070 to find out your number, you'll need this to sign up for line rental and broadband.

If not then you may have to pay an activation fee.

I've just sign up with primus for line rental and it's gonna cost £6.79 per month. If you pay £7.99 then you get free evening and weekend calls to landlines.

Primus are currently the cheapest uk line rental.

One you've sorted that and have a working line you can get broadband. If you're not fussed about the company then get sky or plusnet as they're cheap. I'm going to get Be There broadband for £14 per month because they don't traffic shape or limit shit.

[Edited on 31-03-2011 by adiohead]

[Edited on 31-03-2011 by adiohead]
noshua

31st Mar 11 at 21:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I always say Sky or o2, Be There are supposed to be really good as well. As adiohead mentioned you need a phone line as well (unless you go with virgin's fibre optic).

If you're going with Sky or Virgin for TV, it'll probably be easier to take out a phone line and/or internet with them - although not always cheaper.
Sam
Premium Member

31st Mar 11 at 21:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

o2.
adiohead

31st Mar 11 at 22:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd pick Be over O2, unless you're a customer already and can get it cheap. O2 traffic shape.
The only downside with Be is that their call centre is in Bulgaria!

Also, if you're with orange then you might be able to get free broadband

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/phones/cheap-broadband

[Edited on 01-04-2011 by adiohead]
adamc

1st Apr 11 at 10:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't know if it has a landline installed but we should be off over again tommorow so I'll check.is there a way to see if you can have cable?or is it just a case of ringing them up and asking?
We don't really need a house phone and will probably just have freeview but I have a phone contract with orange and my gf has a phone contract with o2 so I'll look into them aswell.
adiohead

1st Apr 11 at 10:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by adamc
I don't know if it has a landline installed but we should be off over again tommorow so I'll check.is there a way to see if you can have cable?or is it just a case of ringing them up and asking?
We don't really need a house phone and will probably just have freeview but I have a phone contract with orange and my gf has a phone contract with o2 so I'll look into them aswell.

if you know the postcode then whack it into Virgin's online checker. As it's a flat it probably won't, but you never know.

http://shop.virginmedia.com/home.html?buspart=Portal_HP_topnav_1_1

Orange might offer you broadband for free but it won't be unlimited.
O2 offer discounts to existing customers, so you could get unlimited through them.
(all depends on how much you wanna download a month)

You will need line rental though. If you just want the cheapest then get it from Primus for £6.79 (like I am). BT charge about £10 if you pay up front for the year (£120)

If there isn't a phone line installed then this is gonna cost too. I think Primus charge £69 for installation and BT charge £130!!!

New Poll