corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » The Official iPad 2 Thread

New Poll
  <<  8    9    10    11    12    13  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author The Official iPad 2 Thread
jamied

User status: Offline
14th Apr 11 at 20:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeh good point on that one
ed

14th Apr 11 at 20:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You keep saying that, but why would you want to carry around an external HDD with you all the time? Plus, how do you plan on powering said HDD while you're in a place where you're using a portable device?

It's not difficult converting videos from one format to another, and there are plenty of products which fit your requirements.
Nath

14th Apr 11 at 20:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
You keep saying that, but why would you want to carry around an external HDD with you all the time? Plus, how do you plan on powering said HDD while you're in a place where you're using a portable device?

It's not difficult converting videos from one format to another, and there are plenty of products which fit your requirements.

BOOM!
AndyKent

14th Apr 11 at 20:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not leaving the house ftl.
Steve
Premium Member

14th Apr 11 at 20:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

external hdd is usb powered, its a portable drive
Doug

15th Apr 11 at 07:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tempted to pick one up in USA next week. How much would a mint Samsung NC10 netbook sell for?

Sorely tempted!
Ash_EP3

18th Apr 11 at 19:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I gave the local Apple Stores a call today with no luck at all I'm looking for a white/black 32Gb Ipad wi-fi only!!!!

I'm more of an Android fan tbh... but I've got some spare wonga to blow and I am in need of a new media centre
A2H GO

18th Apr 11 at 19:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ash_EP3
I gave the local Apple Stores a call today with no luck at all I'm looking for a white/black 32Gb Ipad wi-fi only!!!!

I'm more of an Android fan tbh... but I've got some spare wonga to blow and I am in need of a new media centre

I reserved mine at 9: 01 on the apple website but think they've stopped that now.

Keep an eye on this, its updated every minute:

http://www.ipad-stock.co.uk/

[Edited on 18-04-2011 by A2H GO]
Steve
Premium Member

18th Apr 11 at 21:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

will be useless as a media center
Nath

19th Apr 11 at 07:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can I use my hdd full of HD mkv's and watch them on it?
Steve
Premium Member

19th Apr 11 at 07:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Obviously I have issues with this nath, do i have this right? as i may have this totally wrong but if you wanted to use your ipad to play films on, that youd downloaded, or ripped from your own media first of you would have to convert all of them into quicktime format, which takes a good few hours each,

then you cant plug in any external media to play them off? will it even let you transfer downloaded movies to it? have to use iTunes? then even if you can how much space is there on the device to store stuff?
A2H GO

19th Apr 11 at 08:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
Obviously I have issues with this nath, do i have this right? as i may have this totally wrong but if you wanted to use your ipad to play films on, that youd downloaded, or ripped from your own media first of you would have to convert all of them into quicktime format, which takes a good few hours each,

then you cant plug in any external media to play them off? will it even let you transfer downloaded movies to it? have to use iTunes? then even if you can how much space is there on the device to store stuff?

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2011/03/download-apps-ipad/?pid=1630
Steve
Premium Member

19th Apr 11 at 08:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thats a step in the right direction, but doesnt solve the problem of portability meaning you could only use it at home. if i was at home id use my TV or cinema screen to watch films

[Edited on 19-04-2011 by Steve]
Nath

19th Apr 11 at 08:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

No idea.
James

19th Apr 11 at 08:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
thats a step in the right direction, but doesnt solve the problem of portability meaning you could only use it at home. if i was at home id use my TV or cinema screen to watch films

[Edited on 19-04-2011 by Steve]

With AirVideo I believe you can use it over 3G so doesn't necessarily have to be at home.

Might be wrong though.
Steve
Premium Member

19th Apr 11 at 08:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

wtf, are you suggesting streaming a film over 3g is a viable solution to the problem, jesus wept apple fans really will bend over backwards to justify there sub-standard-features product
James

19th Apr 11 at 08:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It works very well from what I've heard.

http://www.inmethod.com/air-video/index.html

Any why isn't it a viable solution? If anything it's a great solution. All you have to do is install AirVideo server on your PC and point it to where your videos are, then you can stream over 3G to your iPhone/iPad. It converts it on the fly so you don't have to do anything.

John

19th Apr 11 at 08:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You need a lot of data and a good 3G connection for that.

iPad has the processing power to do just about any video format, apple chooses to restrict that.

It obviously doesn't hurt the sales enough to care but a lot of people would be more inclined to buy one if it played these files without faffing about.
James

19th Apr 11 at 08:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
You need a lot of data and a good 3G connection for that.

iPad has the processing power to do just about any video format, apple chooses to restrict that.

It obviously doesn't hurt the sales enough to care but a lot of people would be more inclined to buy one if it played these files without faffing about.

Agreed, it is a pain. I think it's one of Apple's biggest downfalls. However, if any of their competitors had a proprietary media format that is as established as Apples, I have no doubt they would do the same as Apple and restrict their hardware to only support that.

Failing the use of AirVideo, there are numerous solutions to convert industry standard media formats to the Apple format prior to copying to an iPhone/iPad. Obviously this is quite a painstaking process.

I'm not defending what Apple do as it's a pain in the arse but I think the usability and features offered by the iPhone/iPad outweigh the hassle of having to convert video files before you can watch them.

For example my friend just bought a Sony Ericsson on Android and that will only take MP4 formats. Most of the stuff I have is AVI, so it suffers from the same problem.

[Edited on 19-04-2011 by James]
A2H GO

19th Apr 11 at 09:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

iPad movie player plays just about anything without conversion.
Steve
Premium Member

19th Apr 11 at 09:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

doesnt anything accept mkv?
A2H GO

19th Apr 11 at 09:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
doesnt anything accept mkv?

It does pretty much anything inc mkv.
noshua

19th Apr 11 at 09:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

VLC probably will as well
Dom

19th Apr 11 at 10:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by James
.... had a proprietary media format that is as established as Apples,...

All Apple media formats are only really used amoungst Apple products, so i wouldn't call it established. Plus you have the likes of Google and Microsoft who have their own formats but don't restrict devices.

Steve - yxPlayer is probably your best option (VLC handles MKVs but struggles with HD material as it doesn't have hardware acceleration), otherwise jailbreak and use XMBC etc. As for external storage you could use an SD card, otherwise jailbreak again and you can mount external hard drives via the 'camera kit' but you'll need to find a power source as the ipad can't supply enough power.
Steve
Premium Member

19th Apr 11 at 17:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

all a ball ache for what should be plug and play

<<  8    9    10    11    12    13  >>

New Poll