corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » DIY Door Cards + False Floor + Ice Install

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author DIY Door Cards + False Floor + Ice Install
carl moffatt

User status: Offline
2nd Apr 03 at 20:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

righti've ripped the old carboard doorcards out and im wanting tp put some mdf in there place.

What i am wanting it just a plane door card with window winder, door pull and some componants at te bottem

How will i got about doing it? What thickness of MDF shall i use? and how will i keep in it place. I think by using screw it will make it look a bit too much like diy. Is there anyother way offixing it togethor?

I was also thinking about getting some material from a fabric shop as i was gonna cover the door cards with bass box type stuff, will just fabric do?

Like the door in this pics..

While were on the subject..

Im gonna eventually build a false floor for the rear, can i use the same thickness of MDF as i will do with the door cards?

Basically i want to build the false floor to cover the complete rear. I also wanted to add a few speakers and maybe a sub to the rear. As the rear of a mk1 is flat im aware that i dont have to do any structure work to make it flat. Whats the best way to build this? is it possible to build it in one peice or will i have to make it up in several peices? anyone who has done this, any pointers as i havnt a clue?

Also would adding a sub so that it uses the space of the spare wheel well as a sub box sound ok? i thought it may sound too tinny. was thinking about doing this as it would mean it can fit flush thus theifes not noticing it more.

That brings me nicely onto ice. I know it isnt an ice section but it saves time writting it all out again.

when the repsray is finished i want to start on my stereo. Im not builing anything big or owt, just wanted a simple design that can kick some serious bass.

As im a novice at this also, i havnta cue what type of stuff to use. Obviously uou get what you pay for..

I dont wanna spend serious amount of cash but im willing to spend around 5-600 on it.

decent headunit
decent front speakers that can fit into the home made door cards
speakers to sit in the rear1/4 panels
and 1 sub or 2 depending on how i build it
power cap
and a decent amp

Thats doesnt sound alot when written down, do you think that will be ok as a simple design. I need someone to give some ideas on what type of equipment to use as i havnt a clue!!!

simple design like this

Thanks for reading any info on how im gonna do this is much welcome
carl moffatt

3rd Apr 03 at 17:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ttt
SteveW

3rd Apr 03 at 18:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

OK matey, here goes.

First off i didn't build it BUT i know how they did. (Sound Gallery 01494 464670)

You have to sound deaden EVERYTHING before starting. Use as much as you can afford. I spent around £200 on Dynamat. Then use 3/4 inch MDF or 1". This will keep it all in one piece. You can use the spare wheel well. Just need to work out the dimentions before you start that. Cos if you dont get the cubic feet right for the box, the sub wont sound as good as it could. Use 2gauge cable or 0 if possible. Then split that into 4gauge for your amps. For all the technical stuff i would phone Sound Gallery, and ask for Steve. Tell them that you got the number from Steve Ward (guy with corsa). The best set-up would depend on your style of music/what you would like it to do. Best "sound stage" is to have a sub in the back and a set of components in the doors up front. Fun off good amps that are slightly OVERPOWER to the RMS figures of the speakers. So if you sub says 400RMS run 500RMS through it.

Sorry i cant be any more help.

Good luck and tell me/ show me how you got on.

Steve.

[Edited on 03-04-2003 by snowy]
carl moffatt

3rd Apr 03 at 18:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks snowy, thats the best bit of advice i've had all day.

Right im gonna get 1" thick mdf and start on the door first. I will let you know how i get on, thanks.
ludakri$

8th Apr 03 at 11:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sound deadenin = waste of time & money

if ur system is loud enuff u wont hear the car rattlin.

if u deaden the car u aint gonna hear the music from outside the car.

improves quality inside tho.

sound systems are ment to be heard from outside the car.
RichR
Premium Member

8th Apr 03 at 11:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

why, if ur at a show/cruise, open the boot and doors, whats the point in driving about with every panel rattling and making a foOking racket, If u want to look like a complete knob, I suppose its okay, but if u want half decent SQ, then u've got to deaden surely

[Edited on 08-04-2003 by LiVe LeE]

[Edited on 08-04-2003 by LiVe LeE]
JayC

8th Apr 03 at 13:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Definatly sound deaden it, i did my boot and it made that much difference to the quality and loudness inside the i had to re-tune the amp.
corb

8th Apr 03 at 20:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You fookin what?

BBG got an SPL reading done at a show about 3 years back on a golf, then spent the day dynamatting it and gained 10dB from sound deadening, thats like about a four fold increase in volume.

Have you EVER seen a true SPL car without sound deadening? NO, most big SPL cars use concrete as its strong as fcuk. Stu Smith hit 164dB, he has concrete, Audio World(or whoever has the blue golf) hit 170dB+, they have concrete as does the Fusion Beetle.

GTF with your ICE Advice.
DJ_Voodoo

8th Apr 03 at 20:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sound deadening rocks! makes a hell of a difference to SQ and SPL! get as much as you can afford to buy!
jaffa

8th Apr 03 at 23:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ludakri$
sound deadenin = waste of time & money

if ur system is loud enuff u wont hear the car rattlin.

if u deaden the car u aint gonna hear the music from outside the car.

improves quality inside tho.

sound systems are ment to be heard from outside the car.

carl moffatt

11th Apr 03 at 00:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I know im not clued up on ice but thats the silly'ist thing i've heard!

Anyway, seeing as my thread has been pushed back to the top, anyone wanna start adding some answers to my questions?

carl moffatt

11th Apr 03 at 01:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is there any cheaper alternative to using dynomate stuff for sound deadon?

The reason i ask is cause im sure somone said(maybe a whiole ago) that you can get some cheaper alternative stuff to use, which is basically the same thing and does the same job from B&Q obviously not made for the same purpose..

- I just maybe wrong about this though lol

Also im looking into buying my ice equipment now.

Need a decent head unit for around £150 - anyone recomend any?
need some componants with tweaters and crossovers?

JayC

11th Apr 03 at 08:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah get down to B&Q for sound deadening stuff. Can't remember the name though..
Corsa_Mel

11th Apr 03 at 09:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Aquaseal is the stuff i've used from Homebase.

soo much cheaper.
DJ_Voodoo

11th Apr 03 at 10:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

doesit do the same job? same sound quality?
Corsa_Mel

11th Apr 03 at 10:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm quite happy with the result of it.... obviously the more layers you put on the better it will be.

I've heard from loads of people that they claim to think that its just as good as the popular brands.
DJ_Voodoo

11th Apr 03 at 10:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

and how much is it? cuz i dunno the next time ill be able 2 go to homebase 2 have a luk at sum
Corsa_Mel

11th Apr 03 at 10:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not sure bit I think i payed about £15 for one roll which did my whole boot with some left over i think.

I think its changed names as well.. ull find it in the roofing area, it has a silver backing.
carl moffatt

11th Apr 03 at 16:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks corsa_mel thats a great help

New Poll